Mont'ka

AgentP

A Techmarine can't repair it generating you an additional squadron through squadron mitosis?

Tau and IG are Desperate Allies, so no, they couldn't. There is a vehicle upgrade that Tau can take (Automated Repair System) that can fix Immobilized on a 6+, though.

Puppt I aint arguing its part of the unit, I am arguing that its still part of the formation.

Sure it is, but as pretre points out, that's only an advantage.

Even more fun.

I have 3 piranhas. One gets immobilized within 6" of a table edge. I move the other two outside of coherency and leave it behind but still within 6" of a table edge. I pull two separate units off the battlefield (A unit of 1 and a unit of 2). Do I come back with two full units?

This would be pretty hilarious, although also pretty unlikely and I can see some tournaments ruling it not to work.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got my hands on the book last night.  I have to say, I think the toughest Tau list doesn't have a Stormsurge, or a Ghostkeel, in it.  I think it's two riptide wings and a drone network:

RIPTIDE WING

Unit 1

Riptide, Ion, Missiles, Interceptor, Skyfire

Unit 2

Riptide, Ion, Fusion, Interceptor, Skyfire

Unit 3

Riptide, Heavy Burst, Missiles, Interceptor Skyfire

RIPTIDE WING

Unit 1

Riptide, Ion, Missiles, Interceptor, Skyfire

Unit 2

Riptide, Ion, Fusion, Interceptor, Skyfire

Unit 3

Riptide, Heavy Burst, Missiles, Interceptor Skyfire

Drone Network

5 gun drones, 6 marker drones

5 gun drones, 6 marker drones

5 gun drones, 5 marker drones

5 gun drones, 5 marker drones

Comes in around 1835 pts.  10 highly mobile, jump shoot jump scoring units.  Everything in the army has interceptor, including the drones.  All riptides have sky fire.  All the drones have split fire.  Any combination of the army can deep strike if you want.  Any number of drones can outflank if you want.  You can change the internal ratio of the gun to marker drones to suit your taste, but it's currently at 22 ML shots hitting on BS3 due to the drone rules, so 11 ML hits a turn, which should be more than enough due to the riptides being +1BS due to the formation (if they shoot at the same unit as another riptide).  The riptides will always nova charge, due to being able to re-roll nova failures due to the formation.  And of course both riptide wings can use the formation double-fire rules to lay down an insane amount of alpha strike firing if you so desire.

Well, you have a number of problems that I see. One, your quantity of shots is pretty low- each of the Riptide blasts is fairly strong, but you really don't have all that many of them in total, and that is going to be an issue against stuff like Hunting Pack or other tough targets. Second, you have zero backup plans- you shoot and win or they shrug it off and you die. Against a deathstar with Invisibility you're gonna be in serious trouble because your Markerlights will have trouble hitting and thus you're going to struggle to generate enough tokens to spend for Ignores Cover and the BS6 you need to dodge Gets Hot- and worse, if they get into combat with multiple Riptides at once, it's essentially game over. Third, Grav weapons are a HUGE problem for you, because they will tear up the Riptides pretty quickly- and even with benefit of Jink and JSJ the drones are pretty fragile as well. Fourth, you have absolutely no Objective Secured and only six total scoring units, meaning your Maelstrom and endgame scoring potentials are both pretty low (although Riptides' capacity to move into midfield means you're not completely hosed.)

Basically, the list feels rather gimmicky overall. It would fold up pretty badly to a well-run deathstar army, most superheavies, and many scoring-heavy lists and alpha-strike lists will give it a very bad time as well despite the Interceptor.

I'm also not sure why you're running the Gun Drones, as they don't add very much to the Drone units. I could maybe understand a few Shield Drones just so that one Heavy Flamer doesn't ruin your whole day, but a paltry number of S5 Interceptor shots aren't going to change anything for you.

I think the Riptide Wing has some potential as a support element in lists, but it needs a lot of Markerlights to work effectively and that limts how it is used. (And, to be clear, your list does have enough to support it, it's largely the other elements I find lacking.) Doubling up on formations is very rarely an ideal choice because it multiplies your strengths and your weaknesses both- so sure, you'll stomp on flyer/FMC lists and Centurions really hard, but there will be many types of lists (and missions) you're just totally unequipped to handle, which can be pretty catastrophic in a two- or three-day tournament.

• Like 1

The problems you list are the problems inherent to Tau in general, not the list.  The things that do the killing for Tau (Riptides, Stormsurge, Ghostkeel, and Broadsides) are all vulnerable to grav.  And all Tau can do is shoot, and shoot some more.  This is the problem with the army.  They are one-dimensional and not very effective in the era of mass grav toting ObSec battle companies.

The problems you list are the problems inherent to Tau in general, not the list.  The things that do the killing for Tau (Riptides, Stormsurge, Ghostkeel, and Broadsides) are all vulnerable to grav.  And all Tau can do is shoot, and shoot some more.  This is the problem with the army.  They are one-dimensional and not very effective in the era of mass grav toting ObSec battle companies.

Battle Companies, to be fair, are cheesed to the max to begin with.  600 point advantages are hard to overlook.  Same with War Convocation.

I don't find them one dimensional though.  Movement is their weapon of choice.  it nearly rivals their firepower in importance to them.  Gunlines CAN be played with Tau but I don't tend to play that way.

We fight in two of the fur phases very successfully and not really at all in the other two.  But Ghostkeels have even given us a SLIGHT tool to use in melee albeit at a fairly high cost and they certainly aren't efficient for the purpose, but it isn't untrue that they CAN fight a little if the melee opponent isnt too nutsoid.

How are Ghostkeel vulnerable to Grav? Their majority save is a 4+ and if the Grav Units dont have the ability to negate cover than its like shooting at a wall. Or not shooting very well due to Snap shooting from Holophoton Countermeasures?

In 5 games so far, I have charged multiple Ghostkeels into Drop Podding Marines and won everytime. Marines dont like Str 6 AP 2 massed attacks.