Ork List for OFCC ITC Friday Event

Xavier319

Here's my Ork list for for the competitive OFCC ITC Friday event. The main idea is fast assault in durable transports. The fleet hangs out around the Void Shield to keep null deploy, drop pod lists, and heavy grav/haywire lists from making my life un-nice. The big mek goes with the mek gunz, giving them slow and purposeful, and advancing along with the fleet, providing the second layer of protection in a 4++ against shooting. This allows the boyz to close the gap in their largely AV 12 and 13 transports, while punishing the enemy with surprisingly powerful fire. Then the assaults happen. The koptas run around and get points, absorb overwatch, and make a nuisance of themselves. I love this list because it catches people off guard, works like a well-oiled machine, and does not rely on the two main crutches you see in every ork list. The bikestar and (now) buzzgob's stompa. ANd believe it or not, i've never had trouble with wraithknights or stomrsurges. This list mulches superheavies. Let me know what you think.

Do you think it would be alright for the Team event? My thought is no, it's too powerful, too optimize, and not in the spirit of the event.

Total Points: 2000

WAAAGH!!! Ghazkhull CAD – 672

HQ – 170

Big Mek – 170

Mega Armor, Supa Force Field, Big Boss Pole

Elites – 105

Mekboy Junka – 105

Skorcha, Supa Skorcha, ‘Eavy Plates, Reinforced Ram

Troops – 135

Slugga Boyz (10) – 100 (In warkopta)

Nob, Boss Pole, Power Klaw

Grotz – 35

Fast Attack – 65

Warkopta – 65

Skorcha

Heavy Support – 197

Looted Wagon – 67

Killkannon

Gunwagon – 70

Boarding Plank, Reinforced Ram

Big Trakk – 60

Skorcha, Boarding Plank

Ork CAD – 1328

HQ – 130

Warboss Gazzuk – 130

Mega Armor, Cybork Body, Lukky Stick

Elites – 255

Mega Nobz (3) – 140 (in mek Junka)

Boss Pole, Killsaws, Kombi-Skorcha

Tankbustaz (5) – 80

Bomb Squig (3)

Trukk – 35

Rokkit Launcha, Renforced Ram

Troops – 427

Slugga boyz (12) – 112

Nob, Boss Pole, Power Klaw

Trukk – 35

Reinforced Ram, Rokkit Launcha

Slugga Boyz (10) – 140 (with warboss in big trakk)

‘Ard Armor, Nob, Boss Pole, Power Klaw

Slugga Boyz (10) – 140 (in gunwagon)

‘Ard Armor, Nob, Boss Pole, Power Klaw

Fast Attack – 90

Deffkopta – 30

Twin-Linked Rokkit Launcha

Deffkopta – 30

Deffkopta – 30

Heavy Support – 326

Lootaz (5) – 70

Lootaz (5) – 70

Mek Gunz – 186                                                                      

Kustom Mega Kannon (5), Extra Krew (7), Ammo Runtz (5)

Fortification – 100

Void Shield Generator – 100

Extra Void Shield (2)

• Like 2

1. How do you beat a Wraithknight? (Assume it has either 4+ cover or Invisibility.) You say you "don't have trouble with them," but I'm struggling to understand why. You certainly don't outshoot them- with just S7 and S8 shots, you'll be lucky to put a wound per turn on them most of the time. You certainly don't outfight them- even the MANz will do very little there (remember, the WK kills two of them before they get to swing, so you're looking at 1-2 wounds going through, and then Stomps happen) and any of your other units trying to take it on is... intensely unlikely. Against other superheavies I can see things being better- Knights might be a bit problematic, but AV13 is a lot easier for you than T8 and they tend to lack the support elements that Wraithknights have. But I have trouble grasping how it is you expect to down a Wraithknight run by a good player.

2. You've got a lot of stuff going on here. Most of it is pretty decent, but I wonder how coherent it is overall. You have a wide variety of vehicle profiles (AV10, AV12, AV13) for the enemy to shoot their different guns at and with a combination of both infantry and mechanized units, you're going to get the worst of both worlds when it comes to target priority. Now, certainly hybrid lists exist and do well, but that's when they have a plan to force the enemy's attention and overwhelm them. You have forty Boyz plus miscellaneous other elements (MANz, Lootas, etc) which doesn't exactly translate into a lot of stuff for the enemy to deal with.  Which leads into...

#3. You don't really have all that much stuff by most measures. A total of, what, sixty infantry of various stripes? Seven vehicles, most of them with middling AVs on the majority of their facings (and including three AV10 chassis.) A smattering of other stuff as well, sure, but at the end of the day attrition is gonna wear you down pretty quickly- and, VSG aside, you're quite vulnerable to Grav weapons since you sprung for 'Ard Boyz on your troop units and you're running lots of vehicles.

In short, your list looks to be trying to make Ork generalists, but I don't think that is a direction the codex does well to go in. The list isn't awful- there are plenty of good units in it and obviously the VSG can be a godsend against anyone not really prepared for it- but at the end of the day I'm not really sure what your plan is, even having read you describing it.

1. How do you beat a Wraithknight? (Assume it has either 4+ cover or Invisibility.) You say you "don't have trouble with them," but I'm struggling to understand why. You certainly don't outshoot them- with just S7 and S8 shots, you'll be lucky to put a wound per turn on them most of the time. You certainly don't outfight them- even the MANz will do very little there (remember, the WK kills two of them before they get to swing, so you're looking at 1-2 wounds going through, and then Stomps happen) and any of your other units trying to take it on is... intensely unlikely. Against other superheavies I can see things being better- Knights might be a bit problematic, but AV13 is a lot easier for you than T8 and they tend to lack the support elements that Wraithknights have. But I have trouble grasping how it is you expect to down a Wraithknight run by a good player.

2. You've got a lot of stuff going on here. Most of it is pretty decent, but I wonder how coherent it is overall. You have a wide variety of vehicle profiles (AV10, AV12, AV13) for the enemy to shoot their different guns at and with a combination of both infantry and mechanized units, you're going to get the worst of both worlds when it comes to target priority. Now, certainly hybrid lists exist and do well, but that's when they have a plan to force the enemy's attention and overwhelm them. You have forty Boyz plus miscellaneous other elements (MANz, Lootas, etc) which doesn't exactly translate into a lot of stuff for the enemy to deal with.  Which leads into...

#3. You don't really have all that much stuff by most measures. A total of, what, sixty infantry of various stripes? Seven vehicles, most of them with middling AVs on the majority of their facings (and including three AV10 chassis.) A smattering of other stuff as well, sure, but at the end of the day attrition is gonna wear you down pretty quickly- and, VSG aside, you're quite vulnerable to Grav weapons since you sprung for 'Ard Boyz on your troop units and you're running lots of vehicles.

In short, your list looks to be trying to make Ork generalists, but I don't think that is a direction the codex does well to go in. The list isn't awful- there are plenty of good units in it and obviously the VSG can be a godsend against anyone not really prepared for it- but at the end of the day I'm not really sure what your plan is, even having read you describing it.

1. WKs I've dealt with in a few ways. first off, them having a 4+ cover save due to ruins or other area due to the ITC faq, which is very welcome. SO the mega-kannons are much more of a threat. If we're talking about the double D WK, then clasically what i do is combo-charge it with the warboss's unit and another boy unit, or the tank bustaz. that way the WK cannot really get much done with it's melee attacks. the stomps hurt, but the WB, the nob's PK, and the melta bombs have never failed to impress. it's a little stickier with the fortuned melee WK, but i've done it before. i can also soften it up with the kustom mega-kannons, rokkits, or whatever else. i generally dont rely on the manz for that

2&3. Grav doesn't bother met at all, until I get out from under my shield. And the 4++ all my tanks have makes isolated grav shots much less dangerous. Grav cents suck, and that cant really be delt with other than mitigation. A lot of my tanks have pretty powerful weapons, and generally people will attempt to stop the AV 12 manz and the AV 12 warboss, allowing my other units to encircle, out-flank, and mass charge on turn 2.  The vehicles in this list are far far tougher than they look because of the lengths i've gone to to protection them. It's true, I dont have a LOT of boyz, but it tend to get into close combat with almost all of them. Having played orkz for years and years, i found that i get into CC with about as many as i would if i took tons of light tanks and regular boys and suffered intense incoming casualties. when my tanks blow up, i dont lose everone, which is pretty big. The problem with the ork codex, is it doesnt synergize on paper in the way that marines, or tau do. it syngergizes through tactics, and usage.

As far as my plan? My plan is based on my enemy. Generally I try and present my opponent with as many poor choices as possible. Granted, a game against something like battle company is going to be rough as hell, and I will probably lose just due to attrition, but that's most everyone. I'd have to play smart and go for the throat. Either way, i tend to use a lot of feints, flanks, and blitzkrieg style tactics. overwhelm a specific point, or hit both flanks and ignore the middle, or split their army in half. I understand that on paper it seems weird, honestly, I do. But I've been really successful with this style of ork list, and I don't really know why. It just seems to work against a lot of competitive lists. I hope my explanations help a little.

How would you change it, to make it more competitive? And keep the "speed freeks" vibe?

I love that list. You have some real firepower there its flat scarry. I can see overwhelming a opponent with so many fast targets. and keeping the mek gunz under a V shield is gona make them survive a long time unless drop pods fall in the right places. and the 3 bomb squigs are gona help alot.

I play a much more boyz and MNobz list with just trukks so you would past a lot of my army with shooting.

TW

OKay, so i think I CAN take a Waaagh!! Ghaz CAD. Here's what it says....

"This book contains special rules, Warlord Traits, relics, a Detachment and Formations, Alter of War missions and Tactical Objectives (on the final page) that reflect the fighting style of Waaagh! Ghazgkhull. You can ad the Detatchmet and Formations from this section to an existing army, or use them to field an army from Waaagh! Ghazghkull itself."

Emphasis mine, but that's why I think you can take a CAD.  Am I interpreting this right?

So you cant gain access to the ghazghkull relics unless you take a detachment or formation from the book. The exact wording is: any units from a detachment or formation that can select gofts of gork or mork can select an item from orkimedes kustom gubbinz presented opposite at the points cost shown in addition to the gifts of gork and mork from codex orks

Yeah I'm seeing that. Great. SO in addition to the book being a reprint, very little in it being usable in anything past garagehammer, they took away the Waaagh Ghaz cad. good job GW.

also, they probably think they did a good thing.... and this'll be their excuse not to print a new book for a few more years.

I'll have to redo my list and repost it in a new thread.

Yeah I'm seeing that. Great. SO in addition to the book being a reprint, very little in it being usable in anything past garagehammer, they took away the Waaagh Ghaz cad. good job GW.

also, they probably think they did a good thing.... and this'll be their excuse not to print a new book for a few more years.

I'll have to redo my list and repost it in a new thread.

Actually I believe it was always that way.  It is one of the oddities of that book, I think every other supplement allows its relics and warlord traits to be used in a CAD or similar arrangement.  But Ghaz supplement has always been exclusionary.   I had just hoped it had changed.

So still unsure why youre having issues with the book. You can still take all the things you want to take. Yes the core formation is a little taxing but you can still work it to be playable. Ive ran the formation a couple times and my difficulty is having enough thump to make the benefits worth while. I dont want to rely 100% on ghaz and his council but you dont get much freedom in the building your list which saddens me they had a real opportunity to take everything and make multiple clans amd how each style of.ork army plays