Tau List for OFCC Team Event

Kaoshin

Hey everybody!  I know I"m kind of a recluse on here, but I still value your opinions.  I'm looking at bringing Tau for the team event and am shooting for a solid 2 ranking.  That's a nebulous area though so here's the list I came up with.  Am I ballpark or still swaying into 3's?  I've been having to wage the escalation war of power as my local meta grows more and more in skill and model collection and could use a little grounding I think.

Total Points: 1999

Farsight Combined Arms Detachments - 1385

HQ
Commander 'Arcfist' - 242
Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blades, Shield, Stimulant Injector, Neuroweb System Jammer, Onager Gauntlet, Multi-spectrum Sensor Suite, Puretide Engram Neurochip, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit

Troops
XV8 Crisis Suits (2) - 116
Fusion Blasters (4), Early Warning Override (2), Bonding Knife Ritual

XV8 Crisis Suits (2) - 116
Fusion Blasters (4), Early Warning Override (2), Bonding Knife Ritual

Fast Attack
XV9 Close Support 'Hazard' Team (3) - 270
Twin-Linked Burst Canons (3), Fusion Cascades (3)

Tetra Scout Speeder Team (2) - 70

DX-6 'Remora' Drone Fighter Squadron (2) - 180

Heavy Support
TX78 Skyray - 115

TX78 Skyray - 115

Sniper Drone Team - 161
Firesight Marksmen (2), Sniper Drones (9)

Tau Combined Arms Detachment - 614

HQ
Ethereal - 50

Troops
Breacher Team (10) - 132
Shas'ui, EMP Grenades (10), Guardian Drone
TY7 Devilfish - 80

Breacher Team (10) - 132
TY7 Devilfish - 80

Heavy Support
XV88 Broadside - 70
Twin-Linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-Linked Smart Missile System, Early Warning Override

XV88 Broadside - 70
Twin-Linked High-Yield Missile Pod, Twin-Linked Smart Missile System, Early Warning Override

I certainly think your list is OFCC appropriate, but it may be approaching a 3. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the Forge World Tau units so it's difficult for me to be sure on that. However, I can give some advice on how to help get a rating of a 2. I would try to avoid symmetry in your units, as it can just appear spammy. I would try to change up the equipment of some of your suits, maybe take weapons that you would normally avoid. Variety is fun!

I do like the idea of the list though! I feel like it's somewhere between a 2 and a 3, but with some minor tweaks you could probably get a 2 out of it.

Did something somewhere change and make it so Farsight models can take the Special Equipment from the Empire book? I know for sure that before you couldn't make a buffmander with a FSE guy because you didn't have access to the CnC node or the MSSS as a Farsight Enclaves guy.

Actually yes something did change. In the latest release of the Farsight Enclaves Supplement it says for their signature systems "Any character in a Farsight Enclaves Detachment or Formation that may select Signature Systems may use the Signature Systems of the Farsight Enclaves (opposite), at the points cost shown, in addition to the Signature Systems from Codex: Tau Empire." (pg. 52)

That's a good point, edosaurus. Thank you. Going to keep playing around with it and see if I can't get something I like with that tweaking. There are a couple units in here I really want to run for yon funsies. The "melee" commander with his hazard buddies, the remoras, and the breachers mainly. I just like the breach teams. Forces Tau to play aggressive which is something I've been trying to incorporate into my style after years running a gun line. Should be able to toss a revamp up here later today for more thoughts.

• Like 1

I'm looking at Mont'Ka right now, it doesn't say that. It's a PDF that I can't cut and paste, but it says what you have there word for word except it says "instead of the Signature Systems..." Did they update the digital FSE codex and not say anything? Because that's a crazy big change that is contradicted in the very recent Mont'Ka book.

I'm looking at Mont'Ka right now, it doesn't say that. It's a PDF that I can't cut and paste, but it says what you have there word for word except it says "instead of the Signature Systems..." Did they update the digital FSE codex and not say anything? Because that's a crazy big change that is contradicted in the very recent Mont'Ka book.

Yep. They released Farsight Enclaves as it's own supplement book a few weeks ago. I had to read that little snipped three times just to make sure I read it correctly. Been wanting to run this melee commander ever since the first farsight supplement so so happy right now :)

• Like 1

No problem! Happy to help spread the knowledge and glory of the Greater Good lol.

All right here's another shot. How's it look, everybody?

Total Points: 1999

Farsight CAD - 1400

HQ

Commander 'Arcfist' - 242

Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, Fusion Blades, Shield, Stimulant Injector, Neuroweb System Jammer, Onager Gauntlet, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite, XV8-02 Crisis 'Iridium' Battlesuit

Troops

Crisis Suits - 106

Fusion Blasters (4), Bonding Knife Ritual

Crisis Suits - 106

Cyclic Ion Blasters (4), Bonding Knife Ritual

Kroot Carnivores - 150

Shaper, Krootox (3)

Fast Attack

Hazards - 270

Twin-Linked Burst Cannons (3), Fusion Cascades (3)

Remora Drone - 90

Tetra - 35

Heavy Support

Skyray - 115

Hammerhead - 125

Ion Cannon, Twin-Linked Smart Missile System

Sniper Drone Team - 161

Firesight Marksman (2), Sniper Drones (9)

TAU CAD - 599

HQ

Ethereal - 50

Troops

Breacher Team - 132

Devilfish - 80

Breacher Team (10) - 132

Devilfish - 80

Fast Attack

Remora Drone - 90

Tetra - 35

• Like 1

Now THAT looks like an awesome OFCC list! I love the addition of the Kroot with the Krootox, I run them in my Tau army but rarely see them elsewhere. The variety on your vehicles and suits not only gives you different options but also makes the list seem much less spammy. I think it's an excellent 2 that I personally would love to play against!

• Like 1

I'm probably pretty far from liking anything that has Forge World in it.  Having said that, as Tau lists go, there are far worse out there.  i would say that it is a 2.  Utility for everything.  No real crazy optimization, very flexible, strategically (in my opinion) which is the best kind of list.  

Can openers, a little horde control, lots of maneuverability, units for all occassions, units for synergy as Tau are wont to do, 5 Obsec units...  Perfect 2.

Cool :) Glad I got at least one list build then that can be a solid two. I figure 7 units of obsec including the two dedicated transports should keep things competitive enough if I have to face off against a 3-rated list. I'm still toying with some other ideas just for fun. Dunno why but I find myself really wanting to run the air superiority cadre out of mont'ka. Only concern is would running 3 razorsharks be over the top for a 2 by virtue of simply having 3-5 flyers even if all they are are razorsharks and remoras. Decisions decisions.

Well...Its hard to imagine people getting angry about three flyers when people have five Flyrants in some lists i have played even very recently.  i mean flyers limit ground presence and scoring is a thing so 500+ points in the air does cut into that because they cant hover.  

I dunno.  I suppoe the rest f the list would have to get posted to know.  I don't really know how the HOG's or the list rating committee will see "spamminess"...  the Captains primer ays the following things are to be admonished:

Skyhammer, Centurion Stars, Gladius Strike Forces (i am assuming they mean Battle Companies but maybe not...), Ad Mech War Convocations, deathstars and the like.  Multiple super heavies here as well.  Avoid super psychic units and stars fall into here, major MSU.  If you’ve seen it at a top table, or know it’s regularly played by some of the better players around, you shouldn’t be bringing it to OFCC.

So I think three Tau flyers would fall pretty far outside those parameters?  I thought of doing that myself.  We are doing a rolling Thunder theme for our team this year:  nothing can be non-mechanical on the board to start the game.  totally mechanized forces so treads, hover engines and servos only.  Tau flyers would be kind of a cool idea to add to that.  basically I'd have flyers and tanks and mounted stuff.

I talked with CaptainA about that a bit, and he said that even some of those might make it in, depending on the specifics of the build. Before I settled on the Execution Force: Extreme Prejudice™ list, I was thinking about running a "full" Battle Company, with the whole hundred+dudes in there, and he said that would probably be fine.

Given that the Tau Flyers aren't super-obnoxious to deal with (AV10 everywhere except the front means that even just going for lucky snap shots can work out fairly well), three of them probably wouldn't be a problem unless the rest of the list was really tuned up.

• Like 2