Bay Area Open conundrum

Lord Hanaur

Man, I wish I lived in a world where a single unit of Sisters Repentia could take out a deathstar. I mean, usually between the 3++ rerollable save and/or Invisibility and/or all of the multiwound models distributing things as they please it's a real tough job to kill most of anything in the unit. But if a handful of S6 AP2 swings can do the job, we then cripes, I oughta just start running nothing but Plasma Rifles on my Tau and table those silly ThunderRavenBikeStars every game.

If you know you can win with power lists, than do it at BAO and get prizes.

No, you don't get it, it's so easy it's not even worth trying. Anyone with more than ten Warp Spiders in their list at the beginning of the tournament is automatically declared the winner and so there's really not even any point. That's why you see random scrubs taking top prizes at GT-level tournaments all the time using their l337 Eldar and SM armies, because it's just so simple. That's why LH only uses crazy, original stuff in his armies- units that no one would ever expect in that faction, like Dominions and Exorcists and Stormsurges and Ghostkeels. Y'know, wacky off-the-wall units that keep his opponents guessing.

• Like 2

Man, I wish I lived in a world where a single unit of Sisters Repentia could take out a deathstar. I mean, usually between the 3++ rerollable save and/or Invisibility and/or all of the multiwound models distributing things as they please it's a real tough job to kill most of anything in the unit. But if a handful of S6 AP2 swings can do the job, we then cripes, I oughta just start running nothing but Plasma Rifles on my Tau and table those silly ThunderRavenBikeStars every game.

No, you don't get it, it's so easy it's not even worth trying. Anyone with more than ten Warp Spiders in their list at the beginning of the tournament is automatically declared the winner and so there's really not even any point. That's why you see random scrubs taking top prizes at GT-level tournaments all the time using their l337 Eldar and SM armies, because it's just so simple. That's why LH only uses crazy, original stuff in his armies- units that no one would ever expect in that faction, like Dominions and Exorcists and Stormsurges and Ghostkeels. Y'know, wacky off-the-wall units that keep his opponents guessing.

One might think you are being sarcastic.

;)

You're kind of a world class jerk sometimes, you know that?

My Sisters Repentia worked extremely well, and are not often seen snifffing any top table.  STR 6+ doesnt mean anything if youi let the 3+/4+ rerollable eternal warrior invul saves take the worst of it which is what I did.  She can take an average of 12 6+ WOUNDS before the unit takes damage.  It works very well.  Most units wont put that many out in melee.  They can attack that often, but they can't both hit and wound that often.  If they do, we have a backup guy to do the same thing.  All of that assumes the 3+ FnP has been bypassed.  If it hasn't...

So, smart elleck., the truth is, i am good enough at the game that if I grab your Drone Net + Riptide Wing + Jetbike/Forge World Wraith Knight combo and slap it on a table, I am fairly confident I wont lose to much, other than maybe a bad dice roll here or there.  It's a game.  Showing up doesnt make you win.

When I take things that are more creative or are just basically a petri dish for me to practice with, as i did this weekend, its for the challenge.  if you don't like that, I frankly don't care.

I don't think Ghostkeels and Stormsurges are that original.  They are just necessary, given the kinds of things folks like Vincent Price brings.  He's good and his list is hard.  Gotta' bring something to counter it.  I may like to try new things, but I'm also not blind to what's being played.  I do however enjoy finding unusual answers to those problems.

What deathstar doesn't put out 12 S6 hits in melee? My TWC would laugh.

I didn't say hits.  

Also, Deathstars suffer attrition on the way in so there's that.  So yes entirely possible to get 12 WOUNDS in if you're lucky.  Takes a lot of attacks to do that but it can be done if things are ideal.  But even a Wolfstar kicking out 30 attacks is probably hitting 15 times and wounds 12-13 at full strength (or something real close to that).  I know.  But that's why you shoot them first and no answer is a perfect answer.

I didn't say hits.  

Also, Deathstars suffer attrition on the way in so there's that.  So yes entirely possible to get 12 WOUNDS in if you're lucky.  Takes a lot of attacks to do that but it can be done if things are ideal.  But even a Wolfstar kicking out 30 attacks is probably hitting 15 times and wounds 12-13 at full strength (or something real close to that).  I know.  But that's why you shoot them first and no answer is a perfect answer.

But they're invisible... And re-rolling their saves. Your shooting is completely wasted on those Imperial DS. That you're under the impression that you can damage one of these things with the 1 exorcist and 12 meltaguns you have total leads me to wonder if you've ever actually seen one of the DS's in question.

• Like 2

Had a good time despite injuring my back before game 4.  

Amazing armies at this thing.  Every single army was pretty much an "A game" type force.  I suppose I shouldn't have expected anything less, but when you see 200 armies and they ALL look ROCK HARD (with yes, a couple exceptions in the lot) it's kind of amazing to see.   It's easy to read that statement and say "Well yeah, of course" but when faced with the visual reality it's...  kinda cool.

I played against DaemonKin Dogs o doom, Tau Y'Varah spam, Stompa Orks, Decurion Necrons, Tau Surge + Tide spam, and Chaos Cabal Khornedog Star with Belakor and Prince in tow.  Obviously I'm not giving the lists their full due here, for brevity, but every one of them was kinda insane (except the Daemonkin, which I suppose was about as "normal" a list as I was likely to see, lol).

I made the Primary in 5 of the six games.  That was pretty cool.  Maelstrom being what it is was less sure but i took it in three games.  Tertiaries frequently were the problem for me.  Definitely will think a lot more about those.  They were the difference, really because i scored well in all my games save the .second one.  Margin for error:  zero.  Hehehe.

So.....how'd you place?  Feel anything you can do to the list prior to OFCC?

99 out of 172

11 / 0 / 9 / 4 / 6 / 5

Josef McCoy - Tau Empire Round Points Opponet 1 1011 pts Carl Reissig - Khorne Daemonkin

1 pts 2 0 pts Alexander Villagra - Tau Empire

1009 pts 3 1009 pts Jacob Ballard - Orks

3 pts 4 4 pts Chad Hardman - Necrons

1005 pts 5 506 pts Vito Dettmers - Tau Empire

506 pts 6 5 pts Chuck Arnett - Chaos Space Marines

1007 pts

https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/r/bao2016

• Like 1

It is a little cleaner to look at directly:  https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/event/bao2016

I actually had 2 ties, but my Crisis suit got bumped or something and was like a mm out of linebreaker (according to my opponent), even though it was back there hiding since turn three.  Just saying.  Still a good game though.  The actual game itself was terrific.  The scoring?  Not an awesome moment.

So as reported, I defeated DaemonKin, Lost to Y'Vhara spam, defeated Stompa orkiness, "lost" to Canoptek Harvest Necrons, Tied the Riptide/Stormsurge spam and then lost to Chaos Cabal Khornedogstar.

The games were really good.  The competition was intense.  Kingpin and Shadowzilla went with me and we had a good time (and ate way too much).

• Like 2