Bay Area Open conundrum

Lord Hanaur

Well I decided to get tickets to the Bay Area Open and now Kingpin and Shadowzilla are going too!  ROAD TRIP.

Here's the question I am wondering about:  

My understanding is there is the Best Overall type awards for it and then I had heard that PERHAPS there was also awards for "Top Astra Militarum" player and so on down the line.  Has anyone been there before that could tell me if this is the case?  Or are they just referring to the year end type thing where you get crowned for that.  Is that actually a thing at the Bay Area Open itself?

If it IS a thing, my second question would be this:  given that there can be only one winner at this thing for Overall, I kind of have to make a choice.  I can go as an Ambassador of the Adepta Sororitas, with which I do very well and could, I think, compete for top Adepta Sororitas player for the Bay Area Open.  I believe there were 4 Adepta Sororitas players at the 2015 Bay Area open.  

The other option is to play the Tau Empire.  It also is an army I do well with.  There are more Tau generals than Adepta Sororitas players, and so the Top Tau Empire Player title would be statistically harder to achieve.  There were, I believe, 7 Tau Generals in 2015, so not an enormously larger mountain to climb (3 more had Tau Empire allies but were not actually Tau Empire Generals per se).  In comparison there were like 13 Eldar generals and four more who used them as "allies" albeit who knows which part of their force was bigger, right?  And of course this may change with the new stuff for Tau Empire.

Adepta Sororitas placed as highly as 22nd out of 135 and did win 4 in a row during that run.  Sounds like he played spoiler against a fair number of people.  So there was no shame in that showing.  

The majority of armies were neither Tau nor Adepta Sororitas.

The Tau Empire placed twice in the top 10.  Something to consider.  If i was looking solely at making it to the top 10, the Tau seem to show well in that event.  Chaos Marines made 6th place.  How awesome was that?  Night lords?

Anyone have an opinion on which army I should set my sights on preparing with?  I already took 1st, second and 5th at some ITC events this year with Tau Empire so there's that to consider as well (though for some reason they STILL haven't posted the ones from gabi's store, and they've sent those in three times according to the owner!).

Anyways, opinions welcome.

• Like 1

Each Frontline Gaming event (BAO, LVO) have many different awards.

Best General 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Best Paint 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Best Overall (Combo of paint and General) 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Each Faction has a Best Of award so Best of Tau, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines, etc....

There are many tracks to winning.

Each Frontline Gaming event (BAO, LVO) have many different awards.

Best General 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Best Paint 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Best Overall (Combo of paint and General) 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Each Faction has a Best Of award so Best of Tau, Tyranids, Necrons, Space Marines, etc....

There are many tracks to winning.

Hmm.  So it's confirmed then.  Cool.  I like it.  It gives me something cool to shoot for, yeah.  

I mean there's only one winner, and it takes a little luck to go with skill when you're milling through SIX people, let alone winning them all.  I've done 5-0 a numbr of times but this would be a first to go 6-0 (in the same event) so I dunno.  i was looking for some added avenues to kind of have fun with it.

• Like 1

That right there is some Madden-level commentary :biggrin:

bWVkDyx.png

There is nothing better or worse than Madden commentary. I should start recording myself over video batreps in a Madden style while adding great commentary.

"When your units fall back, they're going to often be out of position. That's why it's crucial not to fail those Morale checks folks."

"Being in cover is a good way to keep your models around."

"Make sure you don't shoot bolters at a Dreadnought, you won't be able to do anything."

"Powerfists swing at Initiative 1."

"First Blood is worth a Victory Point."

• Like 5

"When those Terminators survive, they're pretty tough."

"The shots that miss aren't important, it's the ones that hit you've gotta worry about."

"A one-in-six save is gonna pay out about seventeen percent of the time."

"The interesting thing about the psychic phase is that it's just for psychic powers, you really gotta focus on just that"

• Like 3

All this hate for John Madden!  Dude was probably the best color commentator ever and totally revolutionized the position.  While he had some strange bon mots at times and over did the telestrater, if you look at the color commentators before and after him, there's no question how influential he was.  

• Like 1

My favorite quote for him was actually the one he would say to his team before every game.

"You've got to put the cart on the horse before you fill the cart!"

He never really knew what it meant but he always saw that it fired up everyone. Great story.

No hate for the guy, I love football and think highly of the guy. He is a bit of an easy target sometimes.