Question about HQs that aren't HQs, still being HQs

Xavier319

So, for the Iron hands special rule it states that you can take up to three techmarines for each HQ selection that you make ,and they dont take up a force org slot. If you take a captain as part of a battle demi-company, that is part of the fist dicurion, do you get to take up to three techmarines that count as part of the dicurion? do they count as part of the battle demi-company since they were taken because of that captain? Do they still count as HQs?

this goes for the big guns never tire mission as well. if you have a vindicator taken as an auxiliary from the imperial fist dicurion, does it still count as 'heavy support' for victory points, since it wasnt part of a CAD?

or does all the the above ONLY work in a CAD?

So, for the Iron hands special rule it states that you can take up to three techmarines for each HQ selection that you make ,and they dont take up a force org slot. If you take a captain as part of a battle demi-company, that is part of the fist dicurion, do you get to take up to three techmarines that count as part of the dicurion? do they count as part of the battle demi-company since they were taken because of that captain? Do they still count as HQs?

this goes for the big guns never tire mission as well. if you have a vindicator taken as an auxiliary from the imperial fist dicurion, does it still count as 'heavy support' for victory points, since it wasnt part of a CAD?

or does all the the above ONLY work in a CAD?

Hmmm...okay, you are confusing concepts.

You have the battlefield role, which is HQ, troops and so forth, which is retained regardless of detachment (unless the detachment specifically changes your battlefield role).

Then you have the HQ slot, as found on the CAD and a few other detachment types (like the Nemesis Strike Force, or Allied Detachment). Other detachments, like the decurion, break things down by specific units, requiring those specific models, rather than selecting by battlefield role.

So regarding your decurion. As written, no, you can't take units that aren't specifically allowed by the detachment. That said, the Captain is still an HQ in battlefield role. So he is an HQ, but doesn't give slotless techmarines.

At least, that's how I understand it.

You cant have your cake and eat it too. If he's an HQ, he gives you slotless techmarines. If he's not, he doesn't. How can he be an HQ, and NOT give the slotless techmarines?

It's not my cake, this is GW's cake....

The idea is that you can take the techmarine for each HQ selection, but in the decurion, you have Captain selections, but not HQ selections.

Captains are hqs, they retain their battlefield role no matter how they are taken...

This allowing you to select additional Techmarine at least that is my read seems raw to me. Also Rai as it seems that rule is intended to reflect the fact that iron hands rarely go anywhere with out Techmarine support look at all those bionic pieces I'd want somebody around to fix them if I could!

I would have to go with its a grey area. If you do take them with a formation, I would say they do not benefit from the formations special rules as it states in the formation rules that the units listed get the special rules. but the BRB is clear that these types of units can be taken even if the slot for them does not exist in the detachment.

CAD and Formations are two different types of detachments

CAD have force organization slots based on battlefield role

Formations have specific unit requirements. in the BRB pg 121 it states "Instead of including a Force organisation chart, the Army list entries that comprise the formation are listed on it, along with any rules those units gain"

Army list entries that do not use force organisation slots BRB pg 121 it states "These units can be included in any Detachment, even if all the slots of the appropriate Battlefield Role are filled with other units or if the Detachment had no slot for their Battlefield role."

Just my 2 cents to the conversation

rock on. that actualy makes sense. it confused the hell out of me that you could ONLY get a techmarine in an iron hands army by taking an armored strike force.

And only one independent one! The rule only kicks in for hqs that are not Techmarines... Masters of the forge no longer exist they are all just Techmarines now...

So that means a Demi-Company does not need to take a Command Squad as a Command Choice because it can take the Command Squad with the Captain that you took. 

Where am I wrong in this understanding?

The Demi-Company actually includes 0-1 Command Squad as an option. You only need to go for a Command Choice if you want Honour Guard.

• Like 1