Prospero

pretre

(I did not purchase the Betrayal at Calth box and thus have only seen pics of the models)

I'm under the assumption that the 30k-ness of the astartes' armor makes them look out of place next to a contemporary astartes force, correct?  Unless we're talking "veterans of the long war."  I mean, I get the differences between the Mk series... just wondering your opinions as to the actual look on the tabletop.

I'm going to purchase this boxed set for the custodes and the SoS, and don't play 30k, so if the opinions here are that the other models look out of place, I'd appreciate hearing those opinions.

Thanks and stay safe,

don

MK II Crusade and MK III Iron Armor are significantly different in appearance from the MK IV-MK XIII  patterns to be readily noticeable on the tabletop. Specifically, the head and backpack, but even the legs are different, and if you look close enough, so are the breastplates.

What does it mean? That a force in 40K wearing MK II and III armor would look very odd and out of place if you had a significant presence of newer patterns on the table. You could probably get by with say a squad of the older pattern, but having say, a 50/50 split would just look out of place. In 30K? Well, they had up to MK VI and even some MK VII towards the end of the Heresy, but not in any significant numbers to have an entire force wearing it- towards the Siege of Terra, every Space Marine Legion was using whatever armor and weapons they could get their hands on, hence the patchwork armor seen so often in so many pictures.

In my opinion, and being an ex-military guy, I like uniform conformity, and I want all my guys wearing the same pattern of armor, and if they are not, there should be a good reason why. I've gotten into more than a few arguments over the years about it. All I know is that before you go off to war, you WASH EVERYTHING- tanks, vehicles, airplanes, helicopters, ships, artillery, guns, uniforms... EVERYTHING is as clean as possible. Over a long campaign stuff gets dirty, and the uniformity breaks down, but after you return back to garrison/home station, you WASH EVERYTHING again. It's like the military way of life, and I can't imagine it being any different 40,000 years from now. :happy: 

Seeing the sprues and pictures online of the Custodian Power Armor and Sisters of Silence- well, fluff wise, the Custodians had their own version of Power Armor anyways, and they exist in 40K as well as 30K. The Sisters of Silence I have no idea. They have some kind of armor on, but I hesitate to call it Power Armor, as it's lacking the Fusion Reactor backpack. It also looks like they use huge swords, but they are not painted like the typical Gee Dub power sword, and bolter weapons. After that, I have no clue. The Custodians and Sisters of Silence would look significantly different from the rest of a Space Marine army to again, look "odd" on the table. 

For me, if it's painted well enough, then the Rule of Cool carries the army. If they are unpainted, and clearly taken because they are THAT GOOD, and a clear WAAC unit, then no, I wouldn't like it. That's my opinion.

VonVilkee, oh I noticed... just like I noticed that all my folks were uniform.  LOL    My experiences are more like Tamwulf's and by golly, "look good, feel good... feel good, play good" ha ha

Okay, I'll split things up and trade with folks who want the old school look, etc.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I appreciate it.  Have a great night!

Stay safe,

don

After closely examining the sprue pics, the MK III back packs are two parts. Bleh. I love the Phobus Pattern Bolters!

All the Sisters of Silence appear to be right handed. I really wanted to make one of them dual wielding two of those gigantic swords... LOL Probably still will, it'll just take some more converting. 

Thanks for the sprue pics Pretre!

I'll be for sure buying one set, and probably two just because I love the MK III Iron Armor so much. The Custodians and SiS will just be a bonus!

Here is a rumor from 4chan-

From 4chan:
According to a mate, these are the profiles for custodes and sisters:

Custodes:
ws6, bs4, s5, t5, w2, i5, a3, ld10, 2+/4++.
hatred, furious charge, rampage.

Sisters:
ws5, bs4, s3, t3, w1, i5, a2, ld10, 2+.
Preferred enemy (psykers), hatred (psykers)
furious charge and a pariah blade which inflicts ID on any model with the psyker special rule and otherwise is ap3.
they will have the pariah rule meaning they can never be the target of any psychic power. and all psychic powers cease to be in effect within 6" of the unit

I can see some use for the Custodes in 30K, depending on weapon options. If their Halberds give them an initiative bonus like the old GK rules, they will be awesome. They also have an option for sword and shields. If it's just a power weapon and storm shield, well, I hope they are a cheap option. I bet those 5 guys will cost about 250 points+options (in 30K). These guys in 40K? I dunno. Depends on the weapons options. They look to be supped up Terminators and will probably fill a similar role.

The Sisters of Silence are, well, underwhelming in 30K? Maybe against Thousand Sons who are rumored to have a Brotherhood of Psykers style rule, or maybe Word Bearers, but anyone else in 30K... I think I'd rather spend the points elsewhere. They look to be a very hard counter to Psyker armies which just are not all that common right now. After Prospero and the Thousand Sons book, we'll probably see more Psyker armies, and if you can take 3 Sisters for like, 120 points, I'll probably throw them in my list as insurance during a tournament. I can't seem them making it into my "casual game night" list. Now, in 40K? These girls will be awesome! The low S and T is a bit of a concern, but at least they have a 2+ armor save. Throw an Apothecary in with them, and that'll help a bit too.

edit: Looks like all the Sisters are using Claymores, so maybe two handed, unwieldy, and +2S? Unwieldy would suck...

I just hope both units have Frag/Krak grenades.

• Like 1

This has come up before, so I'm kinda curious: Who or what is a reliable source for you?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/448304.page

Someone who is more often correct than incorrect.

Examples of reliable rumor  mongers:

Sad Panda - Total rumors: (53 TRUE) / (0 FALSE) / (1 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE) - Updated 10/13/2016

75hastings69  - Total rumors: (115 TRUE) / (31 FALSE) / (3 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE) - Updated 10/12/2016

Atia - Total rumors: (53 TRUE) / (0 FALSE) / (1 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE) - Updated 10/12/2016

Examples of unreliable rumor mongers:

4chan  - Total rumors: (2 TRUE) / (71 FALSE) / (2 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE)

Natfka on Faeit 212 - Total rumors: (413 TRUE) / (839 FALSE) / (77 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE) - Updated 10/12/2016

Larry Vela aka Big Red - Total rumors: (227 TRUE) / (680 FALSE) / (62 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE) - Updated 10/12/2016

• Like 1

Thank you! Though there is considerable bias in what the author counts as "True" and "False". For example, Sad Panda saying yes, Deathwatch get access to Xeno wargear... Fluff wise, True. Game wise? False. But it's counted as True. /shrug

Obviously rumors are just that: Rumors. Funny thing is, these rumors come from Lady Atia, who posted them at Bolter and Chainsword, which 4chan cross listed. And on the Dakka Dakka thread you posted: Atia - Total rumors: (53 TRUE) / (0 FALSE) / (1 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE) - Updated 10/12/2016

So this means it's a reliable rumor, right?

Thank you! Though there is considerable bias in what the author counts as "True" and "False". For example, Sad Panda saying yes, Deathwatch get access to Xeno wargear... Fluff wise, True. Game wise? False. But it's counted as True. /shrug

Obviously rumors are just that: Rumors. Funny thing is, these rumors come from Lady Atia, who posted them at Bolter and Chainsword, which 4chan cross listed. And on the Dakka Dakka thread you posted: Atia - Total rumors: (53 TRUE) / (0 FALSE) / (1 PARTIALLY TRUE/VAGUE) - Updated 10/12/2016

So this means it's a reliable rumor, right?

Okay, let's parse this. Bias is present in everything, but if someone has a problem with a track, they post in the thread and we discuss it, potentially updating it.

Xenophase blade is xeno wargear. That's pretty clear.

Atia did not post them on B&C that I saw. StaggerLee posted them on B&C with the source being 4chan. If you have a link to where Atia generated the rumor, I would be glad to see it. Rumors are graded off of their source (or if no source is listed, their poster), not simply their poster.

• Like 1

As for 'rumors just being rumors' that is certainly true from a tautological standpoint, but some rumors are better than others. It is quite obvious that when someone reliable says something, you can rely on it coming true. When, on the other hand, unreliable sites say something, you can not rely on it. People didn't tend to believe this and freaked out over some really unreliable people in the past, so the tracker was born. Now we have a quantitative way to track whether someone is reliable or not.

• Like 1

Unknown source:

Ok, some rules from someone who says they have seen the WD:

Nope, 55 points per model, with a starting squad cost of 125 for three.(Horus Heresy rules from november's white dwarf)
WS5 BS5 S5 T5 A2 W2 with a 2+/5++ armour save.
The guardian spear is a S User/+1 AP 3/2 with the alternate profile applying on the charge and a special rule which causes it to generate an additional hit(or to hit roll, can't remember) on a to-hit roll of six. It also comes with an inbuilt S4 AP 4 assault 2 bolter with range 18".
The Custodes Armour gives them move through cover.
And the Custodes themselves have a special rule which extends their cohesion range to 3" rather than 2" and another which increases them to WS 6 when fighting opponents with equal or less WS than them.
They also have a sword and shield option which uses an elite choice. Those guys get a 4++ save which I think is rerollable under a certain circumstance and they have a power sword with rending and an inbuilt bolt weapon with a special rule called hail of fire.

• Like 1

Grot Orderly blog

Link: http://grotorderly.blogspot.de/2016/10/horus-heresy-burning-of-prospero.html

Welcome!

So as we all know, or should know, by now, on 22nd October you will be able to preorder the box on Games Workshop site. By 29th we will see the official release in the shops. The important news is that it is NOT an expansion to Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth. Rules and mechanics are different.

The box will be priced at 95 GBP, the painting guide at 6 GBP and there's also will be a novel available for 20 GBP.

The shops will also receive the following items to distribute as the please:
Art cards - 8 sets
Pin Badges (Ahriman, Geigor) - 70 (35 each)
D12 dice for Space Wolves
D12 dice for Thousand Sons

2.jpg

So what's in the box?
47 plastic miniatures
     Geigor Fell-Hand
     Ahriman
     30x Tactical Marines MK3
     5x Tartaros Terminators
     5x Custodian Guard
     5x Sisters of Silence
16 page background book
32 page rulebook
5 double sided tiles to play on
15 psychic power cards
36 warp energy and will power cards
24 dice - D6, D8, D10, D12

1.jpg

Weapons available on the sprues via Bolter and Chainsword:

Tactical squad
11 chainswords
1 power sword
2 power fists (with option for 1 lightning claw)
1 thunderhammer
7 bolt pistols
1 plasma pistol
1 plasma gun
1 melta gun
1 heavy bolter
10 bolters

Terminators
power fists (at least 4 can be lightning claws)
twin linked bolters
1 plasma blaster
1 volkite
1 power sword
1 autocannon
1 heavy flamer
grenade harness

Custodes
5 shields
5 spears
5 swords
5 sheathed short swords/ daggers
Banner

Sisters of Silence
5 bolters
5 flamers
6 greatswords

The box offers a saving of 60% according to GW, so buy asap to save some money. They will get more expensive when they run out and you have to buy separately.

• Like 1