Handgun safety class - January 21st at noon

dalmer

Hello there,

If you are interested in attending a handgun safety class, please continue reading.

Date:  Saturday, January 21st.  Starts promptly at noon and goes to about 1400 (2pm) hours

Location:  Bellingham Police Department training room - park on C Street just south of Girard Street; the training room is on the east side of the street near a blue fence.  I'll have signage and a propped gate

Cost:  Free to all

Restrictions:  no firearms of any kind are allowed; I will supply all the equipment and instructional materials.  Just bring a good attitude, a willingness to learn and leave the ego at home

Safety factors:  please note that I will be using Simunition firearms; that is, no actual "live" firearms will be used.  The Simunition firearms can discharge projectiles but I will be controlling those so there is super minimal chance of any negligent discharges

Who can attend:  I've had kids as young as 7 years old attend and do fine.  Men and women of all ages... this is a BASIC introductory class to handling handguns (specifically Glock handguns).  I will also talk about some basic shooting principles but I cannot stress that this is a BASIC introductory class to handling handguns.  Don't expect range time, don't expect live fire and don't expect high-speed tactical stuff.  If the group progresses and wants to do that stuff later, I have no problems with it.  I'm a safety guy and I'm a big fan of getting folks comfortable with concepts and equipment before they go out and prove how bad@$$ they are

So I have an idea of how much equipment I need to set aside, please reply on this forum if you (and others) plan on attending.  In no way, shape or form is this class being sponsored or condoned by the Bellingham Police Department... I'm doing this for a community education / safety presentation and just want to help folks be more educated on the topic.

Should you have questions, comments or concerns let me know.  The other post has some prior attendees' comments and the class has always been well-received, so a fun time will be had!  And a safe time!

Stay safe,

don

• Like 1

Damnit! Paige (my 13 y.o.) has Explorer's Club during that day/time. Erin, however, does not. My wife will be there - it's on the calendar. We got to shoot a few different pistols over the break, and have become somewhat enamoured of the Springfield XD3(?) 9mm. I thought I'd be unhappy with my pinky hanging off on it's own, but I didn't notice it in the least.

• Like 1

Pumpkinhead, dunno how old the lil' one is but the training room has had MANY a police kid in it, if that helps.  Carpeted floor and a cozy corner or two where they can play with stuff.  (But again, dunno how old)

JMGraham... does the Explorer's Club want to learn about handgun safety?  :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

Just a friendly reminder about the class on the 21st.  No pressure, just looking for attendance confirmations or "plans to attend."

So far three folks are going according to the posts above, with some hopefuls.

If you're interested please post so I know how much gear to bring.

Thanks and stay safe,

don

• Like 1

*** UPDATE ***

The Bellingham Police Department's address is 505 Grand Avenue, Bellingham WA 98225

Please drive to the back side (west side) - which is C Street.  Ample parking there and you'll see a little man gate near a blue fence.  That gate will be open and have a "Police Training" sandwich board by it, and probably I will be standing near it.  The gate will close at noon so I can start the class on time... so if you arrive late then text or call me at 360-927-3206 and I'll come out.

You need to bring nothing but positive attitudes... I got all the gear squared away and we'll have a great time!

Stay safe,

don

• Like 2

Don, I'm so sorry! Paige and Erin left on time to be there 15 minutes early. With the march snarling traffic, they ended up getting there 15 minutes late and couldn't find anyone to gain access. I totally dropped the ball with not giving them your number, figuring they'd be there in plenty of time. They're super disappointed. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.