Chapter Approved Previews - Land Raider, Apoc, Missions,etc

pretre

16 hours ago, pretre said:

Yay for cheaper Court of the Archon models! I painted the [big bad swear word] out of them in the twilight of 7th edition and they became prohibitively expensive in 8th. Now they're just probably a little too expensive.

That's progress!

• Like 1

Like all the changes so far. The most under priced unit in the game (Primaris Redoubt) went from 300pts to 700pts. Much better. Chainfists are 14pts for CSM instead of 22pts each. Hellbrutes (and the FW hellforged variants) can now realistically field duel fists. The Dreadclaw is now cheap enough to be a viable transport. My super cheesy Cerberus Heavy Tank Destroyer went from 470pts to 650pts, which is very reasonable. I love that they fixed the Malefic lord. 

That said, they really didn't fix the renegades & heretics. I keep wondering if it's a typo, but just about all the troops have BS 5+ and all the elites and HQ have BS 3+. The only units with BS4+ are the cultists and they are unable to take most of the listed weapons for models with BS4+.

I was disappointed that they didn't adjust the GW building prices. Perhaps they are saving that for Stronghold Assault. 

1 hour ago, Threejacks said:

So they changed some point values,,has there been any leaks indicating PL changes?

Nothing I've seen, but most of changes shouldn't result in substancial PL changes. Most of the time, it's just common sense point level changes to make units make more sense. Like, for example, the Hydra Battery is down 15pts per model (making it around 30pts cheaper than a the tank mounted one), but in terms of offensive power, it remains just as potent as the Hydra tank (the tank mounted one can move and has a hull bolter, while the battery is +1 toughness and is immobile).

The FW models might need adjustments, though not sure on that front. 

ChapterApprovedENG_FullWidth.gif

It’s time to change the way you play Warhammer 40,000 – the first annual instalment of Chapter Approved is here. It’s your perfect gaming companion, packed with 128 pages of new rules for open, narrative and matched play. In the open play section, you’ll find an entire Apocalypse expansion for playing massive games, including variant rules and three missions. There’s also a set of rules for customising your Land Raiders with different weaponry, allowing you to kit out your vehicle to fit your playing style.

PreOrders-Nov25-ChapterApp1jds.jpgNarrative play brings you expanded Planetstrike and Stronghold Assault rules, building on those in the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook with missions, Warlord Traits, Stratagems and datasheets for 11 fortifications.

The matched play rules include 12 new missions – 6 Eternal War and 6 Maelstrom of War – plus new rules for matched play games, a guide to making objective markers, and Faction rules for 11 of the factions yet to receive a codex, including Drukhari, Orks, Thousand Sons and Adepta Sororitas.

Finally, an appendix contains rules for any game type, including terrain rules, Stratagems, Battlezone: Empyric Storms and how to run ladder campaigns. Plus updated points for a range of models across all the game’s factions help to balance the game and make it more fun for everyone.

Chapter Approved 2017 is available to pre-order in paperback and eBook formats (including an iBooks-exclusive Enhanced Edition). There is also a fabulous Warlord Edition which includes the book alongside 24 exclusive mission cards detailing the Eternal War, Maelstrom of War, Planetstrike and Stronghold Assault missions from the book, alongside 47 Stratagem cards, various useful tokens, 2 turn and victory point trackers and a pad of 50 army roster sheets – a perfect festive gift for your favourite gamer (or yourself).

PreOrders-Nov25-ChapterAppWarlord2hds.jpg PreOrders-Nov25-ChapterAppDig3ds.jpg

If you plan on building one of the new Land Raider variants in Chapter Approved, you might also be interested in the Terminus Ultra upgrade pack, which contains 2 sprues giving you weapons and additional sponsons to add to your Land Raider and build this devastatingly powerful variant.

Meanwhile, if your dearest wish this Christmas is to find a new army under the tree, this week’s releases are going to be right up your street. Eight new Battleforce boxes are available to pre-order now, each of them containing a complete starter army – or a fantastic addition to an existing force. Let’s have a quick look at what’s in them, shall we?

The Orks Kult of Speed is led by a Mek with a shokk attack gun, backed up by 11 Boyz and 5 Lootas, plus a Battlewagon and Trukk for them to ride in – and they’re supported by 3 Warbikes as well.

PreviewNov19-SpeedCult10ydXmas.jpg

In the Astra Militarum Battlegroup, you’ll find the start of a Platoon, with a 5-man Command Squad and two 10-man Infantry Squads, backed up by 3 Ogryns, a Sentinel and a powerful Leman Russ Battle Tank. There’s also a Chimera to mechanise one of your squads.

PreviewNov19-Battlegroup7hfXmas.jpg

If you want an all-Battlesuit T’au Empire force, the Rapid Insertion Cadre is for you. It includes a Commander, 3 XV8 Crisis Suits, 6 XV25 Stealth Suits and an XV95 Ghostkeel, along with 11 Tactical Drones.

PreviewNov19-RapidInsert12tdXmas.jpg

Equally stealthy, but less armoured, the Genestealer Cults Insurrection includes a 5-model Broodcoven, including a Patriarch, Primus and Magus, alongside 10 Neophyte Hybrids, 5 Acolyte Hybrids, an 11-model Neophyte Hybrid Squad and a Goliath Rockgrinder.

PreviewNov19-Insurrection9gfsXmas.jpg

There are also four Battleforces for Warhammer Age of Sigmar, each of them including a new and exclusive Warscroll Battalion that allows you to put the contents of the box straight onto the table and start playing (once you’ve built them, of course).

The Stormcast Eternals Vanguard Brotherhood gives you a ready-made force of storm-forged hunters, comprising a Lord-Aquilor with 3 Vanguard-Palladors, 10 Vanguard-Hunters, 6 Vanguard-Raptors, 6 Aetherwings and 12 Gryph-hounds (who are, of course, the real reason to get your hands on this box).

PreviewNov19-Vanguard6rnXmas.jpg

In the Tzeentch Arcanites Changecult, you’ll find a veritable host of Chaos worshippers, with a Tzaangor Shaman, 20 Tzaangors, 20 Kairic Acolytes, 3 Tzaangor Enlightened and 3 Tzaangor Skyfires (or 6 of one and none of the other, if that’s how you choose to build them).

PreviewNov19-Changcult5ogXmas.jpg

If you want to take up aether-piracy, the Kharadron Overlords Sky-fleet will float your boat – or rather boats, as it contains an Arkanaut Frigate and a Grundstok Gunhauler, plus an Arkanaut Admiral, a 10-duardin Arkanaut Company and 3 Skywardens, which can be optionally built as Endrinriggers.

PreviewNov19-Skyfleet4lrXmas.jpg

In the Blade of the Blood Queen box, you get Neferata herself (or Arkhan or Mannfred, should you so prefer), two Morghast – which can be built as either Archai or Harbingers – a Wight King, 20 Skeleton Warriors and 10 Grave Guard – perfect for bringing Nagash’s fury to the Mortal Realms.

PreviewNov19-BloodQueen3haXmas.jpg

Finally, we have a brand new hobby product to help you protect your precious paint jobs from wear and tear. Munitorum Varnish is a spray can full of a satin varnish that both protects your models from handling and evens out the shine of paint for a consistent appearance.

PreviewNov19-Varnish2tf.jpg

You can check out all of these new products now and order your own.

The post An essential supplement and brilliant boxed sets appeared first on Warhammer Community.

"So hey guys! You know all those cool centerpiece models you have for you armies that are pointed appropriately (Fellblade, mastadon, warhound, various other hq's n' such)? Or maybe need a slight points increase (bigbird, all the other greater demons, a few others)? Yea, we're going to bump all of that by at least 30%. And for fun we're going to just double the points on some things, cause screw you."

"Oh... And those things that needed a decent nerf (Rowboat, Cawl), yea no. They're fine."

"Oh, frak conscripts, let's nerf em again"

Signed - GW

5 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

"So hey guys! You know all those cool centerpiece models you have for you armies that are pointed appropriately (Fellblade, mastadon, warhound, various other hq's n' such)? Or maybe need a slight points increase (bigbird, all the other greater demons, a few others)? Yea, we're going to bump all of that by at least 30%. And for fun we're going to just double the points on some things, cause screw you."

"Oh... And those things that needed a decent nerf (Rowboat, Cawl), yea no. They're fine."

"Oh, frak conscripts, let's nerf em again"

Signed - GW

Some of it decreased, others increased. I very much like that Warhounds can't be fielded with anything else at 2k. They just aren't really a unit designed for 2k play anyway. 

That said, did a very casual game of apoc last friday with happy camper and peter, about 8k per side, I'd love to do that again. Regular apocalypse games is what you need if you want to have justification to field a lot of those FW super heavies. 

That's weird. AM Hellstrike Missiles are 20pts each. FW AM hellstrike missiles, with chapter approved, are 30pts each. FW hellstrike missiles have the same price as AM hellstrike missiles before chapter approved. They have the same weapon profile.

As an aside, anyone else notice that Hellstrike Missiles are no longer once per battle in this edition. That's a big change. 

36 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

That's weird. AM Hellstrike Missiles are 20pts each. FW AM hellstrike missiles, with chapter approved, are 30pts each. FW hellstrike missiles have the same price as AM hellstrike missiles before chapter approved. They have the same weapon profile.

As an aside, anyone else notice that Hellstrike Missiles are no longer once per battle in this edition. That's a big change. 

Most forge world that mounts those things have more wounds and will get more use out of them. 

10 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

Most forge world that mounts those things have more wounds and will get more use out of them. 

Arvus Lighter with only 2 Hellstrike Missiles is 175pts. A Valkyrie with 2 Hellstrike Missiles and a Multi-laser is 160pts. The Valkyrie has +1 Toughness, +1 Strength, +15" of move, +6 wounds, and the Roving Gunship rule (+1 to hit while hovering). The Arvus Lighter has the Rhino Repair rule (on a 6 heals a wound) and Aerial Assault rule (Deep Strike). 

While I think the Arvus Lighter may deserve it's +5pt chasis cost over the Valkyrie just for the deep strike option, paying +20pts for the same weapons on a vehicle with a considerably weaker profile is not very adventageous...

This is new territory for GW. I'm just happy they are trying. With Star Wars Legion coming out, I dunno about my disposable income and where it will be funneled. However, this is the sort of thing that will keep me buying some GW. Albeit, I'm at a point where Knights(FW) and terrain are what interest me. Which may keep me from picking up Legion, as well.