So this is a thing....

happycamper

So the question is, does he/she have this in addition to an army, or instead of an army? Seems like with the time dedicated to such costume, you would lack time to spend painting a 40k army. 

On 8/27/2018 at 10:50 AM, paxmiles said:

So the question is, does he/she have this in addition to an army, or instead of an army? Seems like with the time dedicated to such costume, you would lack time to spend painting a 40k army. 

I would assume that one does not simply go this far into fandom with having ever painted an army

• Like 1

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

I would assume that one does not simply go this far into fandom with having ever painted an army

I've met a more than a few that don't play the game, and just like the setting via the books or the video games or the RPG. A costume like that would require easily as much time and effort as a painted army. I just wonder if they have time for both the game and the costume. 

There’s an entire subculture in Europe devoted to LARPing in a universe that spun out of the German translation of the first edition of Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play. Some of their costumes and garb put anything I’ve ever seen in decades of SCA to absolute shame. 

For godsake, some of the Russians built a working* Skaven Doomwheel!

* Working as in “it moved,” not as is in “it shoots radioactive chaos magic lightning.” (Although, knowing the Russians... Maybe?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GW really wrote themselves into a corner on that front. It was one of the few “hard and fast” setting details that they actually had as fixed canon during RT, which was generally a pretty free-wheeling open-ended sandbox. They doubled down on it in Second Edition’s Index Astartes articles and now... They’re stuck.

If they change it, half the fan base will revolt. If they don’t, half the fan base will continue to whinge.

12 minutes ago, Ish said:

GW really wrote themselves into a corner on that front. It was one of the few “hard and fast” setting details that they actually had as fixed canon during RT, which was generally a pretty free-wheeling open-ended sandbox. They doubled down on it in Second Edition’s Index Astartes articles and now... They’re stuck.

If they change it, half the fan base will revolt. If they don’t, half the fan base will continue to whinge.

I think it's basically the only thing left that hasn't been retconned to at least a minor extent. I kinda feel like they're going to get forced to change on it at some point, as their potential fanbase growth starts to fall more and more into the second category.

The Bellsarius Cawl / Primaris Project / Indomitus Crusade would have been an excellent place to fit in the change: “Oh, yes, ten millennium ago we hadn’t quite figured out how to make gene-seed work with the XX kerotype, just XY. We worked the bugs out now.”

The NERDRAEG would have been strong, to be sure... But I think it’s pretty much inevitable that the neckbeards will hate it whenever it happens and that it will happen eventually.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ish said:

I don't feel that's the case. GW re-making squats seems unlikely, GW making female SM seems inevitable.

Doesn't need to be a big deal. Like the "lost STCs" that someone finds when GW makes a new SM vehicle, female SM could be simple to implement. For example, minorly change the cannon so space marines are officially male regardless of physical gender, rather than all being physically male. They can still be battle brothers regardless of physical gender. Brother becomes a title, rather than a gender distinction.

And besides, with the all the steroids that the SM are all likely on, female space marines probably are indistinguishable from the males:

image.png.86d981d902381de21365987755ea9fb4.png

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

And besides, with the all the steroids that the SM are all likely on, female space marines probably are indistinguishable from the males:

Hormonally speaking, pre-pubescent boys and girls are basically identical, and the vast majority of the hormones that a Space Marine goes through puberty with are supplied by the geneseed, so, yeah, there really wouldn't be much difference in the final result.

• Thanks 1

Believe me, I'm the last person on the planet to want to do anything for "social justice," in fact I've delivered many a rant over the years on how the qualifier of "social" negates the concept of "justice," but that's a rant for a different time. I'd like there to be female Space Marines for the simple reason that they'd add something interest to the model range... and no, I don't want them to go the "boob plate and bare midriff" route with them. Add a few generic female heads to the sprue for the troops, maybe sculpt something a little more elaborate for a hero model or Special Character.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ish said:

Believe me, I'm the last person on the planet to want to do anything for "social justice," in fact I've delivered many a rant over the years on how the qualifier of "social" negates the concept of "justice," but that's a rant for a different time. I'd like there to be female Space Marines for the simple reason that they'd add something interest to the model range... and no, I don't want them to go the "boob plate and bare midriff" route with them. Add a few generic female heads to the sprue for the troops, maybe sculpt something a little more elaborate for a hero model or Special Character.

It’s just not needed.  You would basically have to rewrite the entire back history and Horus Heresey, just so we can have ponytail heads for the sake of inclusion? Plus nothing is stopping anyone from just swapping on female heads anyways.  

Make an upgrade kit for female guard.  Both fluffy and would add to line.  

10 minutes ago, happycamper said:

You would basically have to rewrite the entire back history and Horus Heresey,

Or you could just add them and not rewrite anything. You know, like everything they add to the game. 🙂

15 hours ago, Ish said:

The Bellsarius Cawl / Primaris Project / Indomitus Crusade would have been an excellent place to fit in the change: “Oh, yes, ten millennium ago we hadn’t quite figured out how to make gene-seed work with the XX kerotype, just XY. We worked the bugs out now.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a game where retcons are a canon, in-universe concept. The Historical Revision Unit of the Adeptus Terra is one of the most powerful departments within the Administratum, their leader the Historicus, is not infrequently one of the High Lords of Terra. Their mission is to “correct” the official Imperial historical record to a more “correct” version... 

If the Ultra-Marines can be “corrected” from their origins as a third-founding chapter created to replace a chapter that had turned to Chaos into a first founded Legion led by a Primarch...? Yeah, we can have female marines added easily enough.

• Like 1