New box set

happycamper

Kids these days...

GWPreview-23Sep-Header-10mi.jpg

Viglius stands on the precipice. War has shaken it from without and within, as Genestealer Cults wage a shadowy war against the Space Wolves and the Adeptus Mechanicus, while Ork warbands patrol the wastes between cities. This planet – a fragile thread that joins the sundered halves on the Imperium – is on the verge of collapse.

A mission of salvation by the warriors of Saim-hann has turned into a blood feud between the Imperium and that craftworld – and now, upon the streets of Vigilus, the Ultramarines prepare for urban war with the vengeful Aeldari…

GWPreview-23Sep-WaketheDead20rg.jpg

Wake the Dead is a new battlebox that continues the developing story of Vigilus, as the guerrilla war beneath the planet’s surface tilts into global conflict. Inside, you’ll find two armies – a conclave of Craftworlds warriors and an elite strike force of Primaris Space Marines.

GWPreview-23Sep-WakeTheDeadForces-2pr.jpg

Each of these armies is led by a brand-new plastic Character, with a Primaris Lieutenant and a Spiritseer:

GWPreview-23Sep-Spiritseer-3bv.jpg GWPreview-23Sep-PrimarisLieutenant-4lv.jpg

Thanks to the campaign book in the box, you’ll be able to play through this chapter in the developing story of Vigilus yourself with a series of narrative missions, datasheets and matched play points included in the set. If you’re looking to get a friend started with Warhammer 40,000 or want to learn yourself, this is a great way to begin.

Like the Tooth and Claw and Forgebane battleboxes before it, Wake The Dead will save you a huge chunk of money compared to getting the models inside separately, making it a great way to expand your collection or begin a new one.

KillTeamLogo-700Wide.jpg

That’s not all! For Kill Team, next week you’ll be able to order a new Killzone, plus two new Kill Team Starter Sets.

The Wall of Martyrs Killzone gives you another new battlefield to fight over, letting you duke it out in brutal trench-line skirmishes. With defence lines, emplacements and a double-sided gaming mat, you’ll have a cracking Kill Team setup right out of the box, complete with an environment card, missions and Tactics for your games. From offering narrative campaigns a dramatic backdrop for their battles to providing matched play players with new tactical challenges, all while saving you some money on some great terrain, this Killzone has a little something for everyone.

GWPreview-23Sep-WallofMartyrsKillzone-5lh.jpg

You’ll also be able to kick off your xenos kill teams with two new Starter Sets, focusing on the T’au Empire and the Necrons. Like their predecessors, these boxes are the best way to get involved with a new Faction, offering Tactics cards you won’t find anywhere else, models to build your kill team with, terrain to expand your Killzones and some nifty token sheets – all at a lower price than getting the contents separately.

GWPreview-23Sep-TauKillTeam-6im.jpg GWPreview-23Sep-NecronKillTeam-7ks.jpg

You’ll be able to pre-order Wake the Dead and the latest Kill Team expansions next weekend – that’s the 29th of September – while we’ll be previewing them all this week on Warhammer Community. In the meantime, let us know what you’re looking forward to most on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Prophecy said:

I'm getting this and if anyone wants to trade out some of the infantry let me know. I need more of the primaris basics and the wraith units.

I want a set or two of the trenches...

WakeTheDead-Sept24-UnboxingShare9ud.jpg

Wake the Dead is the latest Warhammer 40,000 battlebox – part narrative adventure, part starter set, and part money-saving bundle. Yesterday, we took an overview of the set – but just what’s in the box? Join us as we take a closer look.

WakeTheDead-Sept24-Box3si.jpg

WakeTheDead-Sept24-Subheader1dk.jpg

Like Forgebane and Tooth and Claw before it, Wake the Dead is part of the developing narrative of Warhammer 40,000, as we explore the universe almost a century* after the fall of Cadia. Wake the Dead sees the tensions between the Imperium and Aeldari – ancient foes despite their common enemies in Chaos – ignite into all-out war.

GWPreview-23Sep-WakeTheDeadForces-2pr.jpg

If you’re new to the game, or you’ve never played Craftworlds or Space Marines before, this booklet makes the box a great jumping-off point – you’ll be able to learn to play with the missions and datasheets in the set thanks to an included set of Core Rules. Even if you’re a veteran player, these new missions offer unique challenges as well as giving you a mini-narrative campaign to enjoy with a friend.

WakeTheDead-Sept24-Spreads20fh.jpg

WakeTheDead-Sept24-Subheader2lb.jpg

At its core, Wake the Dead is a great deal, giving you two Patrol Detachments in a single box for much less that getting the contents separately. As a reminder, for the Aeldari, you’ll get:

WakeTheDead-Sept24-Aeldari1fe.jpg
  • 1 Spiritseer
  • 10 Guardians (complete with a Weapons Platform)
  • 5 Wraithguard
  • 1 Wave Serpent

For the Primaris Space Marines, you’ll find:

WakeTheDead-Sept24-SpaceMarines2bt.jpg
  • 1 Primaris Lieutenant
  • 5 Primaris Intercessors
  • 5 Primaris Reivers
  • 3 Primaris Inceptors

Each of these forces is designed to be made up of units with a place in every army – the kind of stuff you can always use more of. You’ll find the models in the set a great starting point for a new collection or useful reinforcements for an existing army.

WakeTheDead-Sept24-Subheader3ht.jpg

Last, but very far from least, Wake the Dead is the debut of two brand-new plastic Characters, with a Primaris Lieutenant and a Spiritseer.

WakeTheDead-Sept24-Spiritseer5hr.jpg WakeTheDead-Sept24-Lieutanant4xp.jpg

Check back soon for more details on these two – in the meantime, let us know how you’ll be using your set on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page.

I wasn’t really serious when I brought it up. Gorkamorka was a really fun game (I’m in the minority that preferred it to Necromunda) but, no it wasn’t a good starting point for playing WH40k.

Personally, I just wish GW would start selling something equivalent to their Start Collecting / Battalion Box sets with a bundled mini-rulebook, mini-ruler, and some dice. That way people wouldn’t necessarily be locked into “Space Marines and X” combinations like they are with all the previous starters. If a complete newcomer is standing there in the store drooling over Tyranid models and his buddy is really interested in Imperial Guard... It’d be a lot easier to talk them into an $85 SC! box with free rulebook than into a big old starter box with models they don’t like or an SC! box and expensive rulebook.

I mean, I get it. War gaming is not a cheap hobby and GW’s games are on the pricier side of the hobby too... Plus, obviously economies of scale and market demand have made “Space Marines and X” combinations proven and profitable. But would it really cost that much to stick the 12-page basic rules into each SC! box alongside a fistful of dice?

55 minutes ago, StygianArcanum said:

GW really making it difficult for me to avoid jumping on the Eldar train here.

Then I look over and see all the Finecast Aspect Warriors and I sober up.

On that note, you go entirely FW and plastics. Or you could go with metal models. Eldar, despite not being space marines, does have a pretty extensive model line.