Cypher

jollyork

I was in the "it would make no sense if an HQ could not pass Infiltrate to a unit for deployment" camp, but after reading a lot of opinions and other similar rule situations, I think it's very intentional for HQs to *not* be able to let a unit deploy with it. It appears to be a line in the sand along with no one being able to Assault out of Deep Strike (except for a 4th Edition Ork character). 

Given that Preferred Enemy, Zealot, Tank Hunter, Monster Hunter, Stealth, Shrouded, and a number of other rules all pass to the unit, I don't think it's particularly strange that Infiltrate would.

I don't think the argument has ever been whether it passes to the unit or not, as clearly it does. The sticking point is the order of operations during game setup, but you already know that. 

I don't think the argument has ever been whether it passes to the unit or not, as clearly it does. The sticking point is the order of operations during game setup, but you already know that.

Infiltrate also grants The ability to outflank. That was what I always thought the reason for the sharing was. Outflank really is the follow me you loud idiots! The character uses their skills and the sound of the battle to cover an approach from an unseen avenue.

The infiltrate usr is just a little more flexible than outflank.

Apparently I was suffering from lazy gamer syndrome :p after breaking out a hard copy of the BBB The infiltrate and IC usr's in the I- version are exactly the same, word for word.

The sentence that threw me for a loop was the 'An IC without infiltrate cannot join a unit of infiltrators during deployment.' By that wording an IC with infiltrate 'can' join a unit of infiltrators in the deployment phase.

I guess the argument (and it's an old one) comes down to the wording in the IC's deployment options under joining and leaving a unit. /shrug

I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll keep my opinion to myself :)

Back to Mystery Marine, having had a chance to read all of cyphers book I'm really liking the missions in the back. They set up some good story lines and give a break to the standard ones we always play. Gonna have to go dig through my old bits box and see if I still have him :p