Spring Escalation League, Week Three: March 23rd

Week Three. 1600 points. March 23rd

Double Points are granted for anybody who brings quality snacks!

Scenario: 

Battlefield of the Gods. 

Ancient Battle Field is littered with the treasures and heirlooms of slain warriors. 

12 markers are placed out side the players' deployment zone. 

During the magic phase, any unit touching the treasure may attempt to wield the item. 

Items. 

1) Sword of Sorcery. 

Any unit champion or character may use the weapon. During the magic phase, the bearer may channel as if he was a wizard.  If a wizard wields the weapon, he channels on a 5+. Additionally, the bearer may cast a bound level 3 magic missile with a range of 24 inches. The missile does a single S7 hit. 

2) Banner of Glory

Any unit capable of carrying a banner may use this item. 

It grants the unit holding the banner a 6+ ward save. 

3) The Talisman of Rampage. 

The item makes any character frenzied. 

4) The Mirror of Loec. 

One use only. The item may be used by any character. On the roll of a 2+, the bearer may reflect and opposing spell cast on the bearer and his unit back at the cast and his unit. 

5) The Horn of Heroes

This item may be used by any musician. At the beginning of each friendly magic, a musician blowing  the horn will transform one model in the same unit into a unit champion. 

6) The Shield of Protection. 

The shield can be used by any unit champion or non-magic character. The Shield of Protection allows the bearer to parry on a 5+ instead of a six plus. The bearer is also -1 to hit. 

7) The Banner of Grace. 

The banner can be used by any unit capable of having a banner. 

The banner grants the unit +1 WS and +1 Initiative. 

8) The Scroll of Lies. 

Any unit may bear the Scroll. The scroll causes any unit, friend or foe, to be -1 Leadership. 

9) The Trickster's Ring

One use only. Any character holding the ring during the movement phase may join any other friendly unit. The character and opposing unit may be in combat when the ring is used. 

10) The Hammer of Vaul

The hammer may be used by any unit champion or character. The hammer allows hits on a 2+ and destroys any shield it hits. The model counts as not having a shield. 

11) The Amulet of Insanity. 

The item must be used by any monster or character. The bearer becomes frenzied and cannot loose it's frenzy. The bearer has +2 Strength and D6 extra attacks, but the bearer's leadership is reduced by 6 to a minimum of 2. 

12) The Red Axe. 

The axe may be used by any unit champion or character. For every unsaved wound, the Red Axe grants the +1 to its attack characteristic to a maximum of 10. 

*******These magic items may not be traded among friendly units or claimed by opposing units

League Points: + 1 Point for each item held at the end if the game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Luck!

I'm stuck in a debate right now.  Do I take Malekith on a cold one or do I take Mallus Darkblade and a level 4 dark magic caster on a dark pegasus?  The rest of the list is virtually identical.  I'm just torn on the lord choices.  I want to try out Malekith; however, I don't want to "test" him for the first time in a tournament.  I pretty much know what to expect with mallus.  He's just a ramped up dreadlord with no ward save.

No sick kid this weekend so I should be in for a fight. Do I try out my monster this week, or a ten elf unit of dark riders?

Quetions, doesn't it take two full ranks on a flank at the end of combat to cuase disruption? If so is a ten elf unit of dark riders better than two 5 elf unit? Becuase if it takes one damage there goes disruption.

Also going to avoid large units and go for more a MSU/MMU feel.

I'm stuck in a debate right now.  Do I take Malekith on a cold one or do I take Mallus Darkblade and a level 4 dark magic caster on a dark pegasus?  The rest of the list is virtually identical.  I'm just torn on the lord choices.  I want to try out Malekith; however, I don't want to "test" him for the first time in a tournament.  I pretty much know what to expect with mallus.  He's just a ramped up dreadlord with no ward save.

Totally Test Him on a Tournament!

No sick kid this weekend so I should be in for a fight. Do I try out my monster this week, or a ten elf unit of dark riders?

Quetions, doesn't it take two full ranks on a flank at the end of combat to cuase disruption? If so is a ten elf unit of dark riders better than two 5 elf unit? Becuase if it takes one damage there goes disruption.

Also going to avoid large units and go for more a MSU/MMU feel.

Try MSU!, 

Answer: two ranks of 5 to disrupt…...

I'm planning to attend, my fancy lads need a good scuffle.

Hey Nephren thanks for the game tonight. I do have a question though, why are you not using the Frost Phoenix and Phoenix Guard? I thought those were fantastic units. And I am pretty sure High Elves can pull off a MSU list just as good as the Dark Elves.

But anyways, see you soon.

Thanks for the game. I'll be trying out my frosty at next game night, and the phoenix guard will be making a return after learning that my swordmasters will go down to concentrated shooting quite easily. I think HE can pull off MSU, but DE have some really great options and crossbows surpass bows by far.