Which Dwarf army should I take to OFCC?

Dwarf army for OFCC  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which army would you prefer to see on a table at OFCC

• Runelord army
    • Slayer list 1- 3 Daemon Slayers and 3 units of Slayers
    • Slayer list 2- 2 Daemon Slayers, 2 units of Slayers, Bonegrinder Giant

Runelord List:

Lord w/great weapon, shieldbearers, rune of fortitude, 2 runes of iron 3 runes of warding

Runelord w/great weapon, anvil of doom, magnificent armour of borek bettlebrow, rune of spellbreaking

Thane w/great weapon, bsb, oath stone, master rune of valaya

25 Longbeards w/musician, standard bearer, great weapons

30 Ironbreakers w/full command, rune of stoicism, ancestor rune

25 Miners w/standard bearer

10 Irondrakes w/standard bearer, rune of slowness

15 Rangers w/musician, standard bearer, shields

Slayer List 1:

Daemon Slayer w/master rune of breaking, rune of parrying

Daemon Slayer w/master rune of smiting, rune of might

Daemon Slayer w/master rune of alaric the mad, 2 runes of fire

Thane w/bsb, shield, master rune of valaya

Runesmith w/great weapon, master rune of balance, rune of spellbreaking

30 Slayers

30 Slayers

30 Slayers

Slayer List 2:

Daemon Slayer w/master rune of breaking, rune of parrying

Daemon Slayer w/master rune of smiting, rune of might

Thane w/bsb, shield, master rune of valaya

Runesmith w/great weapon, master rune of balance, rune of spellbreaking

Runesmith w/great weapon, rune of stone, master rune of passage, rune of spellbreaking

35 Slayers

35 Slayers

Bonegrinder Giant (it represents the slayers tracking down a monster to die a glorious death to)

Those are my 3 list options.  I am letting this community decide which one I am going to build and take to OFCC.  I am not changing the lists.  I just need to know which one to take.  Whichever list has the most votes by midnight on March 31st is the one I am going to start working on.  I have a lot to do!

In the event there is a three-way tie, I will roll a D6; 1-2=list 1, 3-4=list 2, 5-6=list 3

@Hero- I have met and accepted your OFCC army building challenge with all three of these, I believe.

I am a huge fan of the anvil actually.  I think it's a very good option for dwarf armies.  That 2D6 magical attack is the biz!  Then you take the master rune for a 3+ ward save for 85% of all war machines....uh, yes!

Hero, thank you for the comment.  I like to know who is voting for what and why they are voting for something in particular.

I voted list one. It is the only list that has any speed at all. The other ones are exclusively (except for the giant in list 3) large blocks of movement 3 infantry. Aesthetically less interesting to look at and probably fairly predictable games, neither of which are good for an event with such emphasis on "painting" (read: appearance) and "sportmanship" (read: fun) scores. While the giant will definitely be more eye-catching, inevitably opponents will ask about it and their follow up question will be, "Why aren't the slayers attacking it then?"

And the Anvil is totally OFCC.

I know you said you aren't changing the lists, but what about a second glance at the magic items? I'd go with Master Rune of Gromril and Rune of Shielding for the Runelord on the anvil. Currently, you're paying 5 more points for a worse armor save and a worse ward save. That's just silly.

@Gunnerson, I am mainly liking this because of the 6 dice option for the 2D6 magic hits on fast cav, skirmishers, ethereal units out there.

@mojoslayer, fair enough.  I believe lords are a waste of points in this book, and would rather not have either of them.  But, this is OFCC and this is where the anvil has a home.  Storm of Magic options do not fit with Dwarf armies, IMO.

I actually like list 2 the best.  Just toss the unbreakable horde across the table and go to town.  Your army should be charging by turn 3, and that is if the enemy is not moving towards you.  2 hordes of slayers and a unit of longbeards  move forward while the last horde and longbeard unit swing the door shut and trap the enemy in place.

I agree about the lord, especially when the Thane has leadership 10, although I think it is more useful than the anvil.   Sorry about my bitterness toward the new anvil, I just loved the anvil so much in the last book, that I took it in every list of 2000 points or more, and now whenever I hear the term Anvil a piece of my heart breaks, it could have been so much more.....  Oh well, I for one will be taking a slayer list to OFCC, no WM, no gyros, and no hammerers, but lots of slayers, so it should be fun.  I disagree about the SoM not fitting dwarfs, there is always a good story as to why a monster might be joining with the dwarfs :)  

The anvil was broken becaue of the movement rune allowing them to charge enemy units.  Every movement spell has been modified so units can't contact the enemy in the magic phase.  The anvil was going to change.  The main problem is that your opponent most likely knows which of the spells you need to get off each turn and without having any bonus to cast the spells from the anvil you pretty much just need to 6 dice and hope of IF.

• Like 1

Thematically, I like list 2 but I don't think your opponents will enjoy that list at all. The list is 5x blocks of 25+ models. Very predictable and very stale game play, even if it is fluffy.

If I do go with list 2, I will hope to get paired against other combat oriented armies.  That list is no different from many WoC lists out there.  Get into combat and smash face.  The difference is that there are 3 unbreakable units.  However, I was just showing that a Slayer list could probably be viable.

@mojoslayer, fair enough.  I believe lords are a waste of points in this book, and would rather not have either of them.  But, this is OFCC and this is where the anvil has a home.  Storm of Magic options do not fit with Dwarf armies, IMO.

Well said!!

I am all for the first list as well.  As much as I do like Slayers, I think variety and some interesting tactical options in your Miners, Rangers, and Anvil.  Plus I think you can tweak the first list slightly and have a very competitive tournament army after OFCC is all done, if you like.

Finally I'm pretty sure Anvil wasn't in HeroZero's mind when he said "No war machines" in the challenge thread… he can tell you if you're still meeting his challenge or not :)

Go army #1!

If I do go with list 2, I will hope to get paired against other combat oriented armies.  That list is no different from many WoC lists out there.  Get into combat and smash face.  The difference is that there are 3 unbreakable units.  However, I was just showing that a Slayer list could probably be viable.

At least WoC would have a variety of different units, even if the plan is the same. They'll have monsters, monstrous cav, monstrous infantry maybe, chariots, war beasts, infantry, flying characters, etc.; whereas you will have 5 squares. All 5 squares move the same. 3 squares are unbreakable. 2 squares are steadfast. An army composed entirely of 2 different units just doesn't seem all that engaging face.

If I were going with slayers, I'd include some Strollaz' Rune, and Runes of Slowness so the army can at least present your opponent with unexpected situations. Plus I just couldn't stay away from a demon slayer with a tooled up axe with Rune of Flight. Great way to punish a monster lining up for a good charge, and it would totally surprise your opponent.

I fogot to mention, though, I really like Rune of Parrying on the Demon Slayer. I hadn't thought of that, for some damn reason...

@NtK, the first list is pretty close to my original army idea.  The only a few differences for a tourny list.  Three of them being war machines.

@Munkie, yeah, it is pretty stale.  I'm not denying that at all.  As for the rune of parrying, I was just messing with different builds.  I was thinking this-

One needs to shut down blender lords (you take away the magic weapon and that usually does the trick)

One needs to kill monsters (S10 D6 wounds should do the trick)

One needs to secure quick combat results as well as shut down regen units (flaming attacks and breath weapon)

I'm seriously thinking about taking that slayer list to a tournament in the future.  I think it could actually get good results.