40k movement trays?

Found out that there's a ton of sites now that produce movement trays for 40k. Anyone have experience with a particular site that they could refer me to?

Traditionally, the rules for cover make movement trays somewhat impractical. The TAU I'm running (Dal'yth) benefit from cover by just standing still, so the traditional issue isn't coming up. Army also features a lot of units that use identical models that have different rules (like how drones retain the battlefield role of the unit they accompany, but are themselves an independent unit).

22 minutes ago, andy said:

I've been thinking about doing something along these lines for my orks. Mobs of 30 boys are a pita to move, but I worry that trays would be too difficult to maneuver due to terrain.

I have trays of 5 man and 10 man. I can paint them in various colors as well. 

@Jason saw me using them. Not great in super tight areas be definitely an easy mass movement for a time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyraeus said:

I 3d print my own. I will have some you can look at tomorrow 

I need some 2-man 32mm trays. That's the hardest one to find online. It's to keep the drones that accompany/detach separate from other drones (GW site says the drone base is 32mm).

Want others, but those ones are really needed. Otherwise I have to paint (and therefore dedicate) each drone to each unit.

5 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

I need some 2-man 32mm trays. That's the hardest one to find online. It's to keep the drones that accompany/detach separate from other drones (GW site says the drone base is 32mm).

Want others, but those ones are really needed. Otherwise I have to paint (and therefore dedicate) each drone to each unit.

2 man? Hmmmm I could make it. Most all are 5 man but 2 man is possible. Need to design in... Hmmmmmm any space wanted between the models? 

1 minute ago, Lyraeus said:

2 man? Hmmmm I could make it. Most all are 5 man but 2 man is possible. Need to design in... Hmmmmmm any space wanted between the models? 

No, keeping them close together is ideal. Maybe a little bit in between so I can flock the tray and the bases.

The trick to maneuvering movement trays in tight terrain is actually pretty simple: Don’t.

Base your men in 5’s, using a tray that allows for them to be removed with minimal fuss, then move them across the open table. When they get into tight terrain, pop them off the tray.

Its still faster to move 50 men on trays and  30 men individually than it is to move all 80 individually.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ish said:

The trick to maneuvering movement trays in tight terrain is actually pretty simple: Don’t.

Base your men in 5’s, using a tray that allows for them to be removed with minimal fuss, then move them across the open table. When they get into tight terrain, pop them off the tray.

Its still faster to move 50 men on trays and  30 men individually than it is to move all 80 individually.

I had an opponent one game, who spent a good 20 minutes pre-game putting his models into-trays, and then, in deployment, another good 20 minutes taking astra millitarum out of movement trays to arrange on various terrain pieces.

This TAU army being able to benefit from Cover for just not moving makes the trays really practical.

5 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

49172709_10211031179415589_1309822187552 

Love it. Great look for hordes. Wanting drone versions of these in 2-man (32mm).

For my TAU firewarriors (25mm), wanting more of a rank and file line (2x5), like the warhammer fantasy movement trays. I feel that TAU would think in rows and columns, rather than a horde like the orks would.

Ideally also making them really compact to transport, since firewarriors aren't very tall, the foam I have is making me waste a lot of space in transportation.

5 minutes ago, Frowbakk said:

Eh, i've got some rectangular christmas snack tins that I'm going to mutilate into movement trays.  Best thing is they're steel so a magnetized model/handle will make movement easier.

Plus, peanut brittle. Yum.

I have seen people do that as well. I just like my. 3d printer

I got a few sets of the 25mm line ones from this guy. They didn't work so great for the 2nd Ed Daemonettes with claws bigger than their torsos raised over their heads, but other than that, they've been great. I also like the way they can fit together for a denser formation if you have a good opportunity to get into combat before you have to abandon the trays.

6 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Here is the movement tray

49504421_10211031948754822_4972513805876 

@paxmiles thoughts

That could work, though I was thinking more like a figure 8. Basically 2 cups/slots with just the smallest bit of actual plastic between. I can always reinforce it, if the plastic proves too soft (putty or pinning), but the idea is that the tray occupies as little space in game as possible.

2 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

That could work, though I was thinking more like a figure 8. Basically 2 cups/slots with just the smallest bit of actual plastic between. I can always reinforce it, if the plastic proves too soft (putty or pinning), but the idea is that the tray occupies as little space in game as possible.

Yea I can change it. This was just quick and dirty on my Phone.