Warcry faction decks - not impressed

So I picked up a faction deck for the new Warcry game as I didn't care for the new factions included in the game, and just wanted to use my own existing models. Great right? Except that the card packs are quite lackluster. I will state I don't own the rulebook even for Warcry. And perhaps if I did, then the card pack would make more sense to me. But basically, there is no information in the card pack for how it is used.

My advice is to skip the card pack. GW just released an online warband tool which will probably provide you with everything you actually need as opposed to some cards that really don't explain much at all and have less info on them.

They’re super handy for tracking tokens and activations.  And they’re 8 bucks....  I’ve paid more for blank gw paper.   What were you expecting?! 🤣

I’ve made a full turn around after playing necromunda and Kill Team.  Cards are super handy.   I’d rather use them than printing off a roster, personally.

if it’s a set I didn’t pick up, I’m happy to buy them off you, and have them available at the clubhouse for folks to try   (I picked up nagash, goblins and fish elves)

35 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

So I picked up a faction deck for the new Warcry game as I didn't care for the new factions included in the game, and just wanted to use my own existing models. Great right? Except that the card packs are quite lackluster. I will state I don't own the rulebook even for Warcry. And perhaps if I did, then the card pack would make more sense to me. But basically, there is no information in the card pack for how it is used.

My advice is to skip the card pack. GW just released an online warband tool which will probably provide you with everything you actually need as opposed to some cards that really don't explain much at all and have less info on them.

I offer the opposite opinion.  The warband tool is only for calculating warbands.  No stats.

I also do not have the rulebook (yet).  I picked up a cardpack for Nighthaunts.  I quick search brought up various videos from various folks (GW included) on what the symbols mean. All the relevant info is there.

I'm already building 3 warbands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exactly my point. You then had to go to various web site to make sense of it. You could easily do that without the cards and find the same info. A great example is the fact there there are three cards for witchelves in my pack, each one with a different point cost...but no other text to say why one is different from the other. You go to the warband builder and there you see that different weapons effect the cost. You get no hint of that from the cards.

Basically all of the rune marks on your unit cards will correspond to all of your abilities on your faction card. The unit cards with the rune marks can use the abilities of the corresponding rune mark on your ability card. The only rune marks that are not going to be match up with your ability card are the leader and fly rune mark. But yes you should really get the core rule book or watch some you tube videos to explain the basics of how the system works, so all of it will make sense to you. Basically the card packs are like your battletomb in age of sigmar. If you have the card pack and understand how the game is played that's all you need to use those models.

• Thanks 1

They have pretty much all the same information on them as on a 40K Datasheet. It's just all identified by symbols instead of text, so they only had to do translated versions of the ability cards. Taking one GW posted:

WCFF-IronGolems-Jul16-Drillmaster01wl.jp

Upper left: The little circle has the Faction symbol. The big circle has Movement in inches (arrow), Toughness (shield), and Wounds (skull). To the right of that you have the points cost above, and any relevant Runemarks below. Those generally don't do anything on their own, but interact with abilities in various ways. Then, to the far right, there's a picture of an example of the Model the card is for.

Lower left: Each row is a weapon profile. There's a little drawing indicating which weapon, then the arrow/circle is range in inches, the sword is number of dice rolled when making that Attack, the fist is the Strength, and the split skull is the damage value for regular/critical hits.

Compared to a 40K Datasheet, a couple of stats have been rolled into the weapon profiles, and a couple more aren't used (like Ld), but it's pretty much all the same info, and, in combination with the ability card, shows everything you need to know to use that Model, assuming you know the core rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having actually purchased the product, I'm sharing my opinion of it. While only $8, I have not seen the great value of it. The cards (which are not named) do have values next to various images which must correspond with stats. So in that way, they provide info you need. That said, they aren't so complicated that a battlescribe or army builder file won't be out soon which does a much better job of providing them. Unless you really want to have cards with pretty pictures on them, you can probably wait.

15 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Having actually purchased the product, I'm sharing my opinion of it. While only $8, I have not seen the great value of it. The cards (which are not named) do have values next to various images which must correspond with stats. So in that way, they provide info you need. That said, they aren't so complicated that a battlescribe or army builder file won't be out soon which does a much better job of providing them. Unless you really want to have cards with pretty pictures on them, you can probably wait.

I actually posted that just after having picked up the Daughters of Khaine card pack myself, so I'm offering my own opinion from a similar place. I don't actually have the Rulebook yet, either, but I was able to pick up all that from the various Warhammer Community posts and reviews I've seen.

Also, I suspect that the ability cards won't be available in Battlescribe or Army Builder, and those are a pretty significant part of how the various Factions work.

• Like 3

On 8/12/2019 at 8:10 PM, Brother Glacius said:

Actually no. I stated I did not yet own the rulebook and admitting that perhaps it would cause me to be missing information that could shed more value on the cards themselves. Perhaps you assumed something different.

I guess I just dont understand why anyone would complain that they cannot understand the stats or symbol meaning in a game that they have not technically bought.....

• Like 1