R.I.P. Terry Jones

Raindog

Monty Python was a huge influence on my life, but what truly made me love Jones was his post-Python career as a historian and an advocate for modern society to take medieval history seriously:

Why do I feel so exercised about what we think of the people of the Middle Ages?...I guess it's because so many of their voices are ringing vibrantly in my ears – Chaucer's, Boccaccio's, Henry Knighton's, Thomas Walsingham's, Froissart's, Jean Creton's... writers and contemporary historians of the period who seem to me just as individual, just as alive as we are today. We need to get to know these folk better in order to know who we are ourselves.

But, maybe not too seriously...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Raindog said:

That video was brilliant.

All eight episodes of Terry Jones' Medieval Lives can be found on YouTube... and if you enjoy the, you should also track down Terry Jones' Barbarians from 2006 which deals with the Goths, Celts, Huns, Vandals, and Greeks (yes, the Greeks) with an equal mix of history, myth-busted, and comedy. The Story of 1 is also a great one. It's a single hour-long documentary about the history of numbers... Yeah. Sounds incredibly boring and/or really freakin' weird, but Jones' knack for storytelling, natural charisma, and flair for comedy makes it work. 

I'm less fond of his 1995 series The Crusades, which is still quite entertaining and much more historically accurate than most "edu-tainment" works about the Crusades, but suffers heavily from the presentism. Cambridge historian Sir Steven Runciman, CH FBA, was a consultant for the series, appears on camera as an interview subject, and his work serves as the foundation for most of the show. Runciman is well-known in academic circles for his bias of always portraying the Crusaders negatively and the Muslims favorably. Terry Jones' show suffers (IMHO) for it's reliance on Runciman... Having said that, it's still damn entertaining and a much better overview of the period than you typically see on The History Channel or other such sources. Just, y'know, apply a few pinches of salt.

• Like 3