this is pretty cool...virtual table top assistant

Brother Glacius

I guess this is kinda cool? It seems like a solution in search of a problem, and it will slow games way down, because instead of just using the tape measure you're already familiar with, you have to pull out your phone/tablet, start tapping buttons and scrolling through, etc. It would make the setup process take longer, too. I've used a number of game "aids" in app form, and in each case, they just end up bogging things down. 

I think that augmented reality has a lot of potential for hobby games, but I don’t think it’s quite there yet. The biggest limitation, currently, is the interface... Looking at the table via a smartphone or a tablet is just awkward.

I’m waiting for the day when I can play D&D with tokens on a battle mat, but players can look at it via their smart-glasses and see a three-dimensional animated Red Dragon hovering above their heroes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

I think that augmented reality has a lot of potential for hobby games, but I don’t think it’s quite there yet. The biggest limitation, currently, is the interface... Looking at the table via a smartphone or a tablet is just awkward.

I’m waiting for the day when I can play D&D with tokens on a battle mat, but players can look at it via their smart-glasses and see a three-dimensional animated Red Dragon hovering above their heroes.

This. We're getting there, but right now, it's just clunky and awkward and slows down the games. It's a fun novelty, but it requires that everyone involved have the apps, and most people I know aren't so gadget happy as to add another 20-30 minutes to their games just so they can tinker with an app on their phones/tablets.

• Like 2

IMHO, the new Necromunda: Underhive wars game is probably the closest thing to having a virtual Necromunda table setup. You can't argue with the AI about whether or not a fighter has LOS to a target and there's no fudging on movement (moving 8.15 inches vs. actual 8 inches). The only thing that the game doesn't take into account is psychology (break tests, etc.), but as previously mentioned, we're getting there. 😁

• Like 1

To be honest, what I want is a virtual table that allows me to move without a grid so that I can play Warhammer or similar games in a totally virtual environment.

Virtual Tabletop is making strides in that direction but last time I tried it I found that A) lack of support from most major game companies and B) lack of support for good design of tools made a wargame tedious (although that has been a while).

Ideally showing movement (e.g. straight forward with wheeling or turn in place for square bases, range of motion for skirmishers with blocking terrain correctly considered, etc) and then allowing things like movement-enhancing spells to alter the range of a unit for one turn....  Handling combat as an option (throw virtual dice or allow for changes to the unit due to manual dice and combat resolution)...  Doesn't seem all that demanding to me.

• Like 1