New to FOW in Portland

twd3pdx

Hi all! My name is Tom. I'm a longtime WHFB player who moved here (Portland) from Little Rock, Arkansas in 2010. I haven't played any tabletop minis games of any kind since before the move. After reading the 8th edition rules and being a little less than enthralled with yet another major change to them (started in 98 with 5th edition) and then having talked to a good friend who got into FOW a few years ago, I've decided to take the plunge. 

I bought the Open Fire box a few weeks ago and have been slowly reading through the rules. I've also watched a few of the Bootcamp YouTube videos. Finally, I've been clipping minis from sprues and am about to start painting just to get used to the minis and get some quick starts to forces together.

With all of that being said, I'm really curious as to what most people play around here. I'd love to start playing regularly (probably once every other week), but don't want to sink a bunch of money into an army that I wouldn't be able to play. So, what period(s) do most of you play regularly? And what point values?

I stopped by Guardian Games last Thursday, hoping to find some people playing on what is listed as league night on their calendar, but didn't find anyone gaming, so I'm curious if that's still a thing or if people play regularly elsewhere.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to discussions here and perhaps to meeting some of you down the road.

Thursday nights at Guardian are extremely hit or miss these days. Your best bet is to arrange games via the forums here - either post in this sub-forum or PM one of the regular players. At the moment, I think that includes the aforementioned MightyAtom13, taran.shannara, and myself.

As for what to collect, you can't go too far wrong with a basic mid or late war infantry force. There's a fair bit of overlap between the periods for foot-sloggers, less so for the treadheads. Mid-war games wander around the 1500 point mark, +/- 100 points; late war games vary from 1650 up to 1750 or so.

I will be in at G this thursday if ya want  game or to just ask questions.  the leauge has been sort of on hold late ly as many of the players are currently on a fad game of the moment spree.  Easiest games to get into for drop in would be late war and mid war  in the 1500 to 1750 range.  As to armies i have german russian american with infantry and tank forces for both,  let me know what you are interested in and ill bring it down for you to look at and give it a try.

I too have played a bunch of 40k in the past and have kinda gotten sick of them. Found FOW to be more pleasing because it is base on actual history and if I want more fluff to read, there is the internet, enclyopedias, books, movies, tv shows. Plenty.

Yeah, there has been a lot of hit or miss at GG.  Some people are burnt out or taking a break for a while, others on some other FAD or new game, others are woking on projects.  Kind of a lull right now. I usually show up with something, but not knowing what to bring makes it hard to have something for when someone does show up. I think I'll bring stuff to paint instead unless I hear from people.

I always liked it when people communicate on this forum about trying to play some games. Makes it easier to know what to bring.

Taran usually runs the BattleFront tournaments from Portland here to up in Olympia.  There is another group that runs tournaments down in Salem.

If you are looking for some sample games, Lazarus and I can help with that.

Welcome to Portland Tom.   How did you find out about the Ordo FoW subforum board?

I got busy with work over the past eight months so haven't been down there that much for Thursday nights but need to get back. I might need an alternate night as traffic seems to always be bad coming into town from the westside that time of day.

In the past lazarus and Zeke have been pretty regular on Thursday nights.

Myself, Bolo, and jesselowe are part of the Battlefront Rangers which means we go around to different stores in the region and give instruction/demo games using the contents of the Open Fire box set when requested.  As others have said, I also run tournaments at Guardian Games about four times a year; I don't work at the store but am just a guy who  wants to see FoW played more. I also head up the Flames of War tournament at the NHGMS Enfilade convention each May in Olympia, WA.

For tournaments, we have a few coming up before the end of the year.
Sept: ?  Northwest Invasion III @Olymipa, TO Lord Hanaur
Oct: Mid-war tournament @Guardian Games, TO taran.shannara
Nov: Tanksgiving late war @Gaurdian Games, TO taran.shannara

If you want any pointers on painting 15mm feel free to ask. We have a quite a few around here that are good at it and a couple of them paint for CGR Painters. If you are already really good, I'll have to talk with you sometime. I'd also recommend the wwpd.net podcast about Flames of War.

For ww2 eras, to get a game in, people have armies for all three, but for tournaments, the only sucess we have had hosting them is in mid-war and late war.

Wow, quite a few replies since I last checked. Between being crazy busy at work and sick for the past four days, I haven't had a chance to check until now. Thanks for all of the insight. I would definitely be interested in watching two or three games before I get stuck in, but I'm glad to know that mid to late is the sweet spot. I've generally been more of a painter than a super-competitive player, so I'm looking forward to painting something new (having painted 40K and WHFB armies previously, along with the random Reaper mini). 15mm is going to be an adjustment as I tend to be a detail freak, LOL. I'm really just looking to learn a new game and have some fun rolling dice while drinking a pint or two.

As for how I found out about Ordo, a GG employee told me to seek it out for Fantasy games and gaming in general. I figured there had to be some FoW activity, too.

I live over on the east side of town, almost in Gresham, so I'm not tied down to GG by any means. This coming week is a wash due to the holiday, but I would probably be able to meet up the following week.

For painting guides & tips, check with Taran, Fingolfin, or me.  We each have a slightly different style and we have airbrush experience. There is also a couple of others out there that are also good and they can pitch in.

As for switching painting skills from 28mm Warhammer  to 15mm Flames of war,  The tanks are kinda similar skills to painting marines, but the infantry is definitely a new set of skills.  15mm tends to be more like N scale or HO scale model railroad with the size & scenery.