Fluger's Waagh!

fluger

OFCC?  OFCC happens before the Ambassadorial Tournament.  Ambasadorial Tournament is October 25th.  Bout a month afterwards.  But again, no biggee.  Maybe Peter or Gavin or someone like that will take the mantle.

Huh, for some reason I thought it was later this month...  What was I smoking?  

Hmmm...Could I paint up a bunch of Orks in time for that?  I still have to finish the painting on 40ish infantry models, start from square one on 15ish, and then finish up on 8 vehicles.  And then base all of it.

Well you could try this…

I have 140+ model army.  So I planned a Saturday night, bought a couple fifths and some Costco pizzas.  Then I press ganged by boys in to paint my boyz.  1 Guy did green, another brown, another black, 1 did wash 1 did basing, etc.  Sit everyone around the table.  Each “station” gets 10 models.  You move the batch when your 10 are done.  They aren’t pro painted by any means but I do put down a fully painted army that looks great on the table.

Makes for a great night.  Everyone still talks about the Ork party :)

• Like 1

Huh, for some reason I thought it was later this month...  What was I smoking?  

Hmmm...Could I paint up a bunch of Orks in time for that?  I still have to finish the painting on 40ish infantry models, start from square one on 15ish, and then finish up on 8 vehicles.  And then base all of it.

Just get it all three color and CONSISTENT.  You can always do the finishing work as you go or by unit.  i dunno.  Just ideas.  But yeah, the Tournament isn't until October 25.  The registration opened yesterday but that was to give us lots of time in case a second bracket becomes necessary.

Hmmmm...

Maybe instead of gaming I could commit everyone else to paint my army this weekend!  :D

And now I'm definitely not coming! Seriously tho I have to paint my own stuff for the OFCC after a few games with my drop pod list I decided it was too good and decided to rework. No pods, no dreads, very few boots. If my pods list is the suicidal first wave, this new list is the garrison force that had more equipment and time to maintain it than men to use it.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a game in with this list!  Loved it!

Lack of old skool KFF saw my units evaporate quickly, but no sweat.  

Pulled out a win by the skin of my teeth.  Quick thoughts:

1.  Mega Nobz are so good.  Those three strong units in a trukk did serious work.  

2.  Boyz die quickly to fire without a KFF.  

3.  DeffDred is a lot more reliable with the new 7th edition vehicle rules.  

4.  2 rolls (one with a re-roll) on the Strategy table is really good!  

5.  Maelstrom missions continue to be really interesting and fun.  

Thanks to PourSpelur for the game!  

• Like 1

I am currently tweaking my Orks so I have some questions…

How did the 10 Kommandos work?

How do the Lobbas work?  I use 3 kannons (str 8 and up I lack).

Why no Painboyz?  The 50 points work better than the old KFF (you get FnP in close combat).  My 2 Painboyz turned the tide of my last game.

And for the Finkin’ Cap why don’t you get to re-roll both Warlord traits?  You are not unbound.

I am currently tweaking my Orks so I have some questions…

How did the 10 Kommandos work?

They did their job: backfield distraction.  Although they failed to kill a wyvern with one HP left with 5 guys on the charge, they eventually killed it.  They were also Line-breaking.  

How do the Lobbas work?  I use 3 kannons (str 8 and up I lack).

Against PourSpelur's army they were extremely pointless, though they DID get me a small bit of luck by one salvo immobilizing two Chimeras in his backfield and then both units inside failing their saves.  That kind of luck can't be counted on.  However, they are cheap anti-infantry for when I face infantry.

Why no Painboyz?  The 50 points work better than the old KFF (you get FnP in close combat).  My 2 Painboyz turned the tide of my last game.

Simply put, no model.  I'd love to have one for my second HQ slot and pair him with the warboss.  I'd probably drop one of the rokkit squads to get him.

And for the Finkin’ Cap why don’t you get to re-roll both Warlord traits?  You are not unbound.

Huh, I guess you're right.  The way I read it seemed to imply to me that it was a bonus and didn't follow the normal rules, but I guess I was putting my own perceptions on it.  Two twin linked rolls it is!  

I helped the Ambassador for the Orks put together a list last night since he had to modify it slightly for the mission paramaters (ALWAYS READ THE MISSIONS!).  235 models.  So yeah.  He's got some work ahead of HIM to paint and base that.  Imagine trying to land a flyer against THAT.

the thing that strikes me about orks as I become more familiar with that dex is how easily the orks fill all the roles.  Traktor Kannons are awesome and cheap, throw one in each artillery unit and you have 3 BS 3, Twin linked attempts to crash aircraft per round thats very hard to kill.  win.  Need anti-infantry?  obviously no problem.  Wanna shoot elites dead?  Smashaguns and Zzap Guns to the rescue.  Hordes?  psh.

Armor is their achilles but even against armor, they now have many options. 

Kinda disappointed in their big walkers.  Seems like if they were going to commit to adding those, they mighta gone more out of their way to make them a little more useful.  Utilizing those seems like a real art form you have to learn.  But other than that one bump in the road, it's a pretty solid codex and you'll be in every fight and no, probably not blowing people up in spectacular ways but it'll have its moments and it will be WORK to get rid of them.

I just really enjoy orks's as opponents.

Played against PumpkinHead's Nids last night.  Was an interesting game of Maelstrom.  I got up to a big lead early due to seizing the initiative and getting the right cards.  

Got the infiltrate strategic trait and it was crazy!  :D

Im curious as to if Mob rule had a notable impact on your larger blobs...how many extra casualties do you see with it?.

Ive yet to try anything more than small games with Trukk boys and it has little to no effect with ard Trukk boys from what I can see..but I don't really want to run a Trukk spam list at 2k,heh.

I lost maybe a handful of boyz to mob rule in the game.  It was totally fine.  Considering it gave me the ability to keep my meganobz fighting that they lacked with the OLD mob rule (since they were never over 11 models strong), I'm liking it FAR more than the old mob rule.  Also, I can go to ground with units of 11 or more since they are no longer fearless.  Useful for my lootas getting shot at when at full strength and they are planning on shooting at flyers anyway!  :D  

• 3 weeks later...

Got another game in with da boyz!  

Played against this:  

Bjorn the Fell-handed (220)      220

Rune Priest (60)     115
     Mastery Level 2 (25)
     Runic sword (free)
     Psychic hood (10)
     Bike (20)

Wolf Guard (x5 = 90)     95 + 35
     Bolters (free; in lieu of CCWs)
     Meltabombs (5; on Pack Leader)
     Drop pod (35)

Arjac Rockfist (115)     115

Grey Hunters (x10 = 140)     170 + 35
     2 Flamers (10)
     10 CCWs (20)
     Rhino (35)

Grey Hunters (x10 = 140)     230 + 35
     2 Meltaguns (20)
     Wolf Standard (25)
     Pack leader (10)
          Combi-melta (10)
          Power fist (25)
     Rhino (35)

Grey Hunters (x10 = 140)     210 + 35
     2 Plasmaguns (30)
     Pack leader (10)
          Plasma pistol (15)
          Power sword (15)
     Rhino (35)

Swiftclaws (x6 = 120)     235
     Power fist (25)
     Attack bike (35)
          Multi-melta (10)
     Pack leader (10)
          Combi-melta (10)
          Power fist (25)

Land Speeder (50)     60
     Multi-melta (10)

Drop pod (35)     35

Long Fangs (x6 = 90)     155
     Lascannon (20)
     3 Missile launchers (45)

Vindicator (120)     120

Aegis Defense Line (50)     100
     Quad-gun (50)

Total     2000

Mission was Maelstrom #4.  

We played on a fairly ruin-heavy board at the GW store in Kent.  

I got the infiltrate Strategic Warlord Trait and got lucky and seized the initiative.  I was able to get first blood and got a bunch of the right cards and got up to a commanding lead really quickly.  

My opponent was able to play the mission and ended up only losing by 2 pts, despite me having pretty much my way with the board.  Lots of hot dice on my part, especially doing damage to Bjorn (I actually knocked off his last HP when he assaulted 6 lootas, but then we determined he was in 4+ cover and he made his save.  So, while it didn't count in the end, it was still pretty grand when it did happen!)  

Biggest all stars were the rokkit buggies which knocked out the vindicator and knocked off two HPs from Bjorn (including the final one).  

• Like 1