Army of the Silver Pinnacle: An OFCC Blog

Neferata and the Dread Abyssal have a combined profile:

M6 WS8 BS6 S5 T6 W8 I9 A8 Ld10 - Always strikes first, Fly, Large Target, Terror, Undead, Vampiric

She is a Lv3 wizard (death, shadow, vampire, or undeath) and has the following special rules:  Roll a d6 for each unsaved wound caused by her in close combat, on a 6 heal a wound back.  The first time she slays an opponent in a challenge, place a vampire within 12".  Enemies are -1 to hit her.  She carries the dagger of jet, if the dagger inflicts at least one wound in a challenge, that models Str, T and A are reduced by 1 for the remainder of the game.  And the staff of Pain, which causes an additional d3 Str5 hits whenever she casts a magic missile.

I need to make some changes to this proposed army list.  I feel like I need an anvil unit, and that pretty much means either skeleton warriors, or tomb guard.  I think I'll probably go with 47 skeletons with HW+S, and in that unit stick a prince for WS5, a necrotect for hatred, and a Vampire in the back rank, who can make way to wherever I can target characters.  I'll then have four options for combat support for this unit, Neferata, the Coven Throne, Morghasts, or the unit of 6 chariots.  If I ran this, the list would look like:

LORDS

Neferrata (hopefully running lore of death, but we'll see how that works out, she may need the healing power of vampire]

HEROES

Vampire, Lv1, Lore of Vampires, BSB, Coven Throne [misc magic items tbd]

Vampire, Lv1, Lore of Vampires, [misc magic items tbd]

Tomb Prince [misc magic items tbd]

Necrotect [misc magic items tbd]

CORE

6 Skeleton chariots, full cmd, banner of swiftness

47 skeleton warriors, LA, HW+S, full command

SPECIAL

Spirit Host

Spirit Host

RARE

2 Morghast Archai

Casket of Souls

I would probably go with the Banshee as your Tomb Prince with decent gear can probably deal with characters and having that scream threat is pretty nifty.

You mentioned having a Vampire "in the bank rank" of you skeleton bunker..I thought all character models had to be placed in the front row?...I was running my Mastermancer in mine and had him in the front row as I thought  he had to be...must be something i`m missing on this.

Nice list!...want to see how those Morghasts do for ya,I was checking them out the other day,love the models!

Rcnjack, you have to place characters in the front rank if there are no command models.  So in a unit with a 5 model frontage you would have 2 spots available for characters.  This means that if you have 3 characters in that unit you have to place 2 in the front rank and the third goes to the second rank.   Then when and if they get into combat you have the option to make way with the character in the second rank and displace one of the command models.

If you only had your mastermancer in the unit and your unit was 5 models wide then you played the rule 100% correctly.

The only army who is different is Bretonnia.  Characters must always be placed in the front rank, unless you are a damsel or prophetess (they may always be placed in the middle of the third rank), and command groups are placed in the second rank.

I'm very anxious to start fielding the Coven Throne and see if it works.  On paper, it sure looks nice.  You have the vampire, who is sporting at least 4 WS6 Str5 attacks minimum, and maybe more depending on kit.  You have 4 WS5 Str 5 attacks from the handmaidens with ASF at Init 5, so a chance for re-rolls to hit there.  2d6 WS3 Str 3 attacks from the spirit horde, plus the d6 Str5 impact hits from the chariot to begin.  So even without battle of the wills, or the scrying pool, the thing can put out some serious hurt.  It will not take out stuff on its own, but I'm thinking that running it along side a 50 man skeleton block for combined charges would be pretty darn effective.  I hope this works out, the model is beautiful.

I think you've got target saturation for the to make it into combat (which is where you want it). a strong offensive build on the character can yield amazing results. the problem I ran into with the throne is enemies offering up a champ or hero as challenge bait and because of the different Initives not being able to capitalize on a large amount of overkill. for that reason taking the hero as a bsb is a very wise choice.

the throne is more than capable of holding it's own against a block of infantry. battle of wills is gimicky but usually provides at least the -1ws/bs (when within range of the general). it's a lot of points to put into a hero (around 500 for an optimal build) but when you factor in what it can do an how GOOD it looks I think it's worth it.

my build of choice: lv 2 beasts, bsb, lance, ha, shield, aura of dark majesty, forbidden lore. talisman of endurance, OTS.

Took a quick break from undead to paint a test saurus and skink for my new lizardmen army.  Turned out okay, I think I finally found a repeatable paint scheme I like.

On the undead front, I moved on to painting a morghast.  Bit of a pain to paint, as the spectral skulls are really hidden down in the recesses.    The biggest obstacle is my sight however.  My eyes are degrading badly, and very rapidly.  I have an appointment with the doctor next week.  Hopefully it's just needing glasses and not something more serious, but I have to confess to being worried.  I went from having fine vision to feeling like everything is blurry in a matter of weeks.

Took a quick break from undead to paint a test saurus and skink for my new lizardmen army.  Turned out okay, I think I finally found a repeatable paint scheme I like.

On the undead front, I moved on to painting a morghast.  Bit of a pain to paint, as the spectral skulls are really hidden down in the recesses.    The biggest obstacle is my sight however.  My eyes are degrading badly, and very rapidly.  I have an appointment with the doctor next week.  Hopefully it's just needing glasses and not something more serious, but I have to confess to being worried.  I went from having fine vision to feeling like everything is blurry in a matter of weeks.

Get on of those resting magnifying lenses for painting.

One Morghast is nearly complete.  I'll finish it, and assemble the second tonight.  I hope to have the unit done by this Sunday.  I'm very happy with the model, it looks great with a decent paint job.  I hope it performs well on the table because I definitely want to include it for aesthetics.

Game wise, I'm still struggling with chariot units.  They are a huge point sink.  Every time I bring them they get flanked and held, or fail their charge and get held, etc.