Muh First Necron Battle(s)!

Lord Hanaur

Well my army had zilch to deal with it.  I got Scarabs (useless and plus his Imperial Knight killed em all almost on that side) and I got Wraiths (useless against that).  Basically.  Oh and Spyders that never do more than meander around midfield.  So.

It came from a Storm Raven so not much i could do to stop it since I also have no anti-air except one plane but 7 vs 12?  Meh.  If i had more time maybe.  But it came in later and gobbled on some Wraiths.

Don't know the new necron book too well, but sounds like you may need more AA, and maybe a bit more AT.

Probably but its supposed to be the canoptek theme so in the 2k army ive two got immortals in scythes watching over their flock pretty much. This was at 1850 where I drop a Scythe to make room.

We have so little shooting that melee is pretty much our answer to everything. I lose a turn trying to pop tanks often and taking massive counterfire afterwards. Ive gotten lucky a couple times and taken down flyers with the Night Scythes but am routinely outranged so it just is what it is. Plus its better to try and open up rhinos than make the scarabs spend a whole phase trying for 6's. So the anti air kinda has ground attack duty like everyone else. :)

Typically the Scythes take shots of opportunity but are ultimately there to allow my Immortals to eventually reach objectives so shooting, even for them, is secondary. Its an odd list in the way it plays. It really is more of a board control list.

Just gotta pray i dont run into a ton of str 6 shooting. That hurts scarabs bad. They basically get insta killed with only 6+ reanimation to save them and thats if the spyder granted it! Not so durable. Some Dark eldar put a serious hurting on my scarabs last game. Two jets squirted Canoptek oil fluid everywhere where once skittered my horde of scarabs. Hehehe.  

EDIT:  I did however beat the Dark Eldar.  I didn't clarify that.  They deployed too close on Hammer and Anvil and paid the ultimate price for their insolence.  =)

Had a tough fight with the new Eldar.  He brought ScatterBikes and a Psyker in every one of them plus a Seer Council and 2 Farseers.  Crimson Huntr and Striking Scorpins, and some Swooping hawks.  My Necron Harvest came to collect Eldar parts.

We rushed forward and smashed into his lesser units and I once again got reminded how very much you have to rely on Rending on those Wraiths.  Despite a disappointing kick off to the  festivities, we managed to start mulching by turn three.  His Psyker powers and such made everything extremely difficult to kill and an entire horde of scarabs plus Wraiths struggled to do much to his Jet Bikes+Farseer on Bike plus Warlock on bike.

Eventually, we got a little help from the Night Scythes, which his Crimson Hunter was desperately trying to kill.  He never did manage it, remarkably.  The special Formations for the Eldar made them incredibly good in close combat and I found my Wraiths were struggling mightily against his WS 5 Scorpions.  They eventually killed all the Wraiths on the right flank and moved towards the objectives

I put a ton of wounds on my own Spyders from spawning and remarkable only actually lost two of them in total.  

The game came down to some Eldar Rangrs who I left alive in the far corner to go help my poor scarabs who just couldnt do anything to the biker unit in the middle.  The Rangers ended up ultimately making it to the last objective to take it from my Spyder (Obsec for the win) which I unwisely didn't move up to block with; and after they survived several failed volleys of the Spyders shooting blasts at them.  So he won in the end 7-6.

Take aways:  kill those bikes.  Not because they do a lot of damage (though they did, nearly wiping away 16 entire scarab bases in one go) but because they are just SO darn fast and can get where they need to get pretty much any time they want to.

Line breaker won it for him in the end.  The Wraiths just could NOT eat through their enemies very quickly, and it left me constantly behind the 8-ball.

I almost want to take the Pistols on them and give up on the Coil Whips, honestly.  They go first or simultaneously but unless you're rolling hot on 6's, they just kinda sit there and trade blows.

Perhaps I need to be more aggressive with the Spyders and stop trying to shoot them.  they are nowhere near as fast as the rest of the army but could eventually be used to swarm something.  My big mistake was allowing those Obsec Rangers ot hang around and advance on me, but to be fair he was dropping things in the backfield and zooming bikes over there so it wasnt without cause that i had to turn my attentions over there.

Anywho, it was an entertaining game and I liked getting to see me some new Eldar on the table. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I tried my Canoptek Harvest again, same Eldar.  

I cornered the majority of his force but his speed allowed him to break out of that box and his Scatter bikes did most of the damage.  They slew Canoptek Scarabs off the table like they were sweeping away so much chaff.  

I couldn't roll a save or Reanimation Protocol to save my life for most of the game and that helped him.  Doom and Guide were baleful.  

I failed three charges from very reasonable distances which hurt further.  The free movement alone would have been game changing.

It was a Maelstrom mission and I did an okay job of getting at objectives.  Some of the cards weren't as lucky though so i knew I was going to have to murder face to win.  

Too little too late.  Necron loss.  he had obliterated almost everything.  He killed 7 Scarabs with overwatch at one point.  There just was really nothing going me way.

The second game was against Chaos Space Marines, again maelstrom.  He had a fast mobile hitty force to match my hittiness.  A lot of Khorne marked foot soldiers and nurgle marked Raptors, a Flying Prince, three Rhinos with Dirge Casters, Vindicator, TWO Helldrakes and one of those super cannon walkers whose name escapes me right this second.  

Anywho, this one was destined to end in melee.  His 15 man Chaos marine Squad was quite effective, killing Wraiths and Scarabs over time pretty good.  Rending is pretty unreliable really, so they really did good work.  Counter attack was big for them.

His Raptors were seemingly immune to me, and i killed like one a round or something.  That was kind of humorous.  When i finally did break them it was mostly because they finally ran outta luck juice and rolled poorly on their leadership and i swept them finally.  

The Flying monster tore up some wraiths but got avalanched with wounds.  5+ is sucky armor.  He shoulda had more armor on him.  Still, really impressive with that Black Mace.

The game mostly went my way because i could control the board better but he really crushed me with his melee units and I was pretty pleasantly surprised at how well they did against me with that big unit of Marines.  oofta!  Impressive.

i think the biggest moment was when i shook both Helldrakes.  THAT was key.  I was looking down the barrel of defeat if they had been free to flaminate my units again.  the first round of it was painful enough!

Necron Victory.

Okay and for Flugers sake, even though he did a fine job of recapping the battle on his own thread, I'll just say a few words on that one.

The Game was bloody.  Realizing that his mortars were quite effective against my Scarabs, I used my ability to infiltrate to effectively redeploy my scarabs and used my first turn to swing right (his mortars were FAR to the left and tucked in the back).  

His Meganobz decided there was no time like the present and proceeded to start butchering things QUITE effectively.  I swung further to the right and kept pressuring, cutting his Rokkitoyz to ribbons and smashing his trukk, killing his Gretchen and his loota boyz (who rolled like crazy til I finally killed em).  Face Rippa came up the middle and I missed ESAY charges thanks to his insane overwatch (the cliff edge added too much distance once the one on top fell).  In fact I missed a couple charges that I should have had but no matter.  In the end the game went as it should:  bloody bloody combat from the center of the board and to the right mostly.  

Objective two dead in the center was really the key battle.  Movement boned me a bit but I epically finally killed FaceRippa which was what I needed to push ahead.  

He tied me at the end and his MVP's were the stupid War buggies I couldnt kill.  They scored him SO many points.  There was a funny fight where my Canoptek Spyder flailed away at his Deffdredd and vice versa for like three full turns.  That was kinda funny.  

It ended as a 12-12 tie.

• Like 1

Maybe start a separate thread on it.  I personally like the line breaking shenanigans with them and they are cheap.  Throw them in cover and forget they exist until end game.  At their price it's kinda hard to lose.  But more than one unit probably isn't warranted.

One interesting thing about them though is that they do actually have pistols I believe and they are rending pistols.  So Illic and the Rangers can do something when they come in.  But I would wager that it would be too little to make multiple units worthwhile.

• 10 months later...

I went undefeated this last Saturday and took second place (suuuuuper close, just two points off from first place).

I took the following list:

Combined Arms Detachment (44 models, 1250 pts)
1 Monolith
1 Doomsday Ark
6 Canoptek Wraiths+ Transdimensional Beamer x5
17 Flayed Ones,
1 Destroyer
10 Warriors,
7 Immortals
1 Cryptek + The Solar staff

I have never used a Doomsday Ark before. Why do more people not take this beauty? It did serious work and played perfectly as a tool for Null Deployment strategies. The monolith as usual, gave me the mobility I lack.

Once again, i had great fun with the Flayed Ones. A lord of Change did serious work on them because he had a ton of buffs and wargears and so on that gave him like 9 attacks per round, but they still managed to do damage to him even.

The MVP's for the army were most definitely those Flayed Ones. although the Wraiths are cool and all, they more or less just multicharged in all my games and tied things up. that was their job. They didn't kill much but they weren't going anywhere anytime soon either The Flayed ones marauded across a lot of units though.

That DoomsDay ark was important because there were a couple opponents that had some serious armor and that was the only thing I had to try and take it out or at least stun things. In particyular this was important when the enemy had some Forge World Griffon tanks. Those bad boys are pretty decent at dealing out the damage and the Leman Russ promised certain death for all but my wraiths. So i had to silence those.

I had a lot of fun playing the list. It has almost no answer to 2+ armor and only one answer to SERIOUS armor (though Gauss did finish a tank the Doomsday Ark had started in on).

Necrons can be fun.