Getting started... Again.

I am the Warhammer 40K equivalent of a Long Time Lurker/First Time Poster.

I was introduced to WH40K waaaaay back in 1990 - I still have my copy of "Rogue Trader" as well as both of the "Realms of Chaos" supplements. However, because of finances (or lack therof) the only thing I could afford to do is purchase the current rulebook (maybe a codex or two) and rely on the good graces of my friends who were avid WH40K players and willing to let me play using one of their already assembled armies.

Slowly, I have been putting together an army (I recently discovered a long-forgotten box that has my 2 Ed. boxed set and most of the minis are still unassembled and unpainted). But I just want to play again and all of my WH40K friends have either moved away or moved on.

Any ideas on how to get started again?

• Like 3

I am the Warhammer 40K equivalent of a Long Time Lurker/First Time Poster.

I was introduced to WH40K waaaaay back in 1990 - I still have my copy of "Rogue Trader" as well as both of the "Realms of Chaos" supplements. However, because of finances (or lack therof) the only thing I could afford to do is purchase the current rulebook (maybe a codex or two) and rely on the good graces of my friends who were avid WH40K players and willing to let me play using one of their already assembled armies.

Slowly, I have been putting together an army (I recently discovered a long-forgotten box that has my 2 Ed. boxed set and most of the minis are still unassembled and unpainted). But I just want to play again and all of my WH40K friends have either moved away or moved on.

Any ideas on how to get started again?

Two initial choices:

1) Go on ebay and sell everything you own. There is a bunch of money in the older models if in good condition. You can then use earned money to purchase any army you want for 40k.

2) Get out the paint stripper, add a fresh base coat, then paint the models to match one of the current armies. Your selections might be a bit more limited this way, but you'll have much cooler, older models, which will likely only go up in value.

HI, welcome to the Ordo community.

One of the best things you can do is come to 40k game night.  Pretty much every Tuesday evening various Ordo players gather at WOW, located at 707 SE Main St., Portland, and roll dice.  You can be assured of finding a fun game with a fun opponent there.  And if you have minis from the early 90's, you're probably of the same age as most of us.  It's a much better environment than trying your luck at the local game stores.  

Any one of us would be happy to play some refresher games with you, to get you caught up on the rules and the tactics.  A lot has changed.  But at the core, the game is the same - it's still about chilling out and rolling dice and playing with man Barbies. 

• Like 2

Oh, right, probably looking for something more like this:

HI, welcome to the Ordo community.

One of the best things you can do is come to 40k game night.  Pretty much every Tuesday evening various Ordo players gather at WOW, located at 707 SE Main St., Portland, and roll dice.  You can be assured of finding a fun game with a fun opponent there.  And if you have minis from the early 90's, you're probably of the same age as most of us.  It's a much better environment than trying your luck at the local game stores.  

Any one of us would be happy to play some refresher games with you, to get you caught up on the rules and the tactics.  A lot has changed.  But at the core, the game is the same - it's still about chilling out and rolling dice and playing with man Barbies. 

The tuesday one above. Guardian Games has a Wednesday League (and a 40k league facebook group).

Welcome to the site and welcome back to the hobby.

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome.

I'm thinking about dropping by tomorrow for the WH40K night at WOW, but just need a time.

6pm, give or take. Same start time as the GG league on wednesdays.

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome.

I'm thinking about dropping by tomorrow for the WH40K night at WOW, but just need a time.

4:00pm and later. Usually a Senator will have opened up WOW by 3:30. If you schedule your game, 4:00 is about the earliest you can get. If you show at 6:00, people may have already found dance partners to play against. As for the Guardian League, open gaming is a bit harder because people are there to play in the league and not usually there to play a pick up game. So, if you go, expect to join the league to get games in.