Dark Angels in June

pretre

Well ya there's that also lol but my overall plan is to blend them. At a minimum taking a bike squad for that huge 12" deep strike bubble. The support squadron just adds a stupid amount of firepower to help out the dw as the slowly advance...I also have a magnetized IK laying around too...

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of either detachment because I really like some of the FW units. That Damocles Command Rhino (IA2 2nd edition) is perfect for a Deathwing/TDA list and isn't legal in either detachment. I built one for my Consecrators, but haven't used it yet (or finished painting it).

The only time I fielded a Deathwing Strike Force was in a recent Apocalypse game...

... and they totally wrecked face.  It was awesome.  My partner was the hammer, I was the anvil that held the center of the board and absolutely trounced anything that they came against.  Was lots of fun from a story perspective and made for a fun game.

• Like 3

My problem with Sammael is that he's 200pts, three wounds, and 3+ armor with a gun that can easily do bonus wounds to him without your opponent even participating. It's nice that his warlord trait is better, but he really needs to be either tougher or cheaper.

Do your plasma cannons overheat a lot? 1/6 to wound self, 3+ armor, so really low odds to wound self.

He's also got like 4-5 shooting attacks to choose from:

Plasma Cannon

TL Storm Bolter

Bolt Pistol

Krak Grenade

Frag Grenade.

And of those, 2 may be picked per shooting phase (1 grenade only, of course). Plus, you could even have him mount an Aegis line gun emplacement...

Anyway, if not Sammy, what's your take on Sableclaw?

I've run him several times last edition (often without any RW bikes) and that AV14 fast vehicle with a 4++ was awesome. 2HP looks bad on paper, but I still rarely lost him. Damage output-wise, he was a land raider (lacking DPS).

Improvement wise, he gained Scout, Skilled rider, re-rolled jink (3+ re-rolls via skilled rider), and those auto-hitting melee swings. He's also a character now, so he can be the warlord without issue (so much fail GW, last codex via 7th ed he could only be warlord in lists without characters....). He's still a lacking warlord, but the option is neat.

On a side note, might be able to challenge sableclaw in the assault phase. Not sure, as I think he's the first vehicle character that isn't a walker or chariot.

Do your plasma cannons overheat a lot? 1/6 to wound self, 3+ armor, so really low odds to wound self.

On a side note, might be able to challenge sableclaw in the assault phase. Not sure, as I think he's the first vehicle character that isn't a walker or chariot.

It's only 1/18 to do a wound to him, sure, but with the number of dice you roll it will come up often enough to be relevant- if he's on his last wound from other damage, for example, you really can't afford to fire his only good weapon. But the self-inflicted damage is only part of the problem- he's just not very tough in general, and at 200pts that is a real problem. Belial at least has 2+/3++ to justify himself, but Sammael will fold pretty quickly to incoming damage.

You can only issue (or accept) a challenge if you are locked in combat. Non-chariot/walker vehicles can never be locked in combat. Sammy's not the first, Pask raised the issue a year or so ago. (On a side note, it's kinda bizarre that Sableclaw isn't a chariot. I mean, it's basically perfect for those rules, and yet they avoided doing anything with them.)

So what would be a good 2k list for DWSF? I'm tossing around ideas but any suggestions would be sweet

Black Knights + Darkshrouds would be the starting point, I think. Sammy because he's required, possibly one or the other of the flyers- the improvements to their weapons, price, and abilities give them a lot more potential. The "right" way to build it would probably involve allying something else in to fill gaps, but you could make a reasonable casual army using pure RW I suppose. If you wanted to keep the army DA-only I would probably bring along a Deathwing supplement to provide some heavy hitters, as pure Ravenwing starts to run out of options for how to play pretty quickly at 2000pts.

Slightly off topic...I'm thinking of using the new chappy model for a company master in artificer armor. Would only need tone replace the head and both weps and possibly add a jetpack.

Then I was thinking of using the awesome chappy head for a librarian model. I got the blood angel librarian in termy armor. The head spot is open so all I would need to do is a little cutting and it should fit.

• Like 2

Got my first game in with the new DA (and allied BA) tonight. Improved WS scouts felt downright broken against battle sisters in melee, especially as I faced almost the same army a month ago with the old codex and the scouts were much less effective. TH/SS cyclone failed to kill anything with BS2 overwatch, but we did actually hit something via a 5, which felt good.

None of the other changes to things really came up, but I did have fun and the Consecrators (DA) were met with praise.

Was on the cell, so couldn't realistically copy and paste. Here:

Consecrators (DA) CAD

HQ Techmarine (MB, Conversion Field)

HQ Damocles Command Rhino (Stock)

Elites DW Terminators (5, 5 TH/SS, 1 Cyclone)

Elites Mortis Dreadnaught (Dual TL Lascannons)

Troops Scout Squad (5, 1 Hellfire Heavy Bolter+BP, 1 BP+CCW, 2 Snipers, Vet Sarge with BP+CCW+MB)

Troops Tactical Squad (5, 1 Plasma Gun)

-Dedicated Razorback (TL Lascannon)

Heavy Devastators (5, 4x Multi-melta, Vet Sarge with Bolter+Fist)

Fortification FSR (2x Battlecannon mounts, 1 Void Shield)

Lion Warriors (BA) Allied Detachment

HQ Libby Dreadnaught

-Dreadpod

Elites DC Dreadnaught (Blood Talons, Smokes)

Troops Cassor the Damned

Heavy Vindicator (Overcharged Engines, Legacy: Battle of Keylek)

Total 1850pts. Warlord was the Devastator Sergeant.

Quite the mix of stuff in there. You generally have success with that list?

It was a, "get stuff on the table list." Very much a learning game, as it was my first with both the BA and the new DA.

I got a tie against Sisters+Vindicare+Imperial Knight. It would be a victory if we were using the ITC rule of 2 VP for the destroyed imperial knight.

You like taking normal CADs over formations? A CAD has much more flexibility but the formation rules for DA are amazing and I don't know if I could not use them.

Depends what you want to take, but again, this was a "get models on the table" list, so I wasn't really looking for fancy detachment shenanigans.

Though, in terms of DA, I do like the CAD over their other detachment options. Some of the formations appeal, but I'm certainly leaning towards just running the CAD in every game.

In general, I like the scout marine troops, but I think they lose too much by not being objective secured. None of the DA formations allow Scout Marines to retain objective secured.

BA, on the other hand, have some really strong alternate detachments and formations which make the allied detachment very iffy. I'm probably going to be alternating between the Archangels, Baal, and Flesh Tearers Striker Force(s), as each excels in a certain type of good DA allies.  In particular, the Flesh Tearers Strike force would make for one of the stronger Pure vehicle list allies, the Archangels Strike Force is good if I'm looking at pure TDA, and the Baal Strike Force is a good generic ally option.

My third ally, if I bring them, is either AM or GK. GK are solid DA allies with a pure TDA theme, while AM are solid allies with a pure vehicle theme. For a more generic army, I might not bring allies.