Dark Angels in June

pretre

Why didn't they just keep allowing deathwing some sort of a turn 1 DS?  What harm does that do? No skin off my back, just seems odd.

It's probably a formation now. That seems to be the long and short of things these days.

Why can't I assault from reserves? Because your not a SAF formation....

Here are the relevant entries:

Ravenwing Strike Force

Libby, Chaplin, and Interrogator-Chaplain

U3NAmAd.jpg

CCCJODS.jpg

LSPAGz7.jpg

Ravenwing Bike Squad

rBeM1wJ.jpg

Space Marine Bike wargear entry

UCxxp3m.jpg

So if you look at the Ravenwing Strike Force, it requires the ravenwing special for all units included in it. If you look at the Ravenwing bike squad, you can clearly see "Ravenwing" in the special rules. Then looking at the entries to the SCs and the Space Marine Bike entry, "Ravenwing" is not mentioned once.

A lot of people are reading the Ravenwing detachment wrong. If you Turbo on turn 1 (turn 2 if you were in reserve), you also count as Jinking in the enemy turn, but without the penalty- it doesn't let you Turbo-Boost and still shoot the same turn.

Ravenwing seem decent, but they definitely have some downsides compared to White Scars. Their Jink is a bit better (75% vs. 66% for WS) and they get Scout without needing a special HQ for it, but they are 4pts per model more expensive, don't automatically pass Dangerous Terrain tests, and can't get Objective Secured, nor do they have the improved Hammer of Wrath hits (and Sammael is blatantly inferior to Khan.) I would argue that the two are much more comparable than most people think- although with Darkshrouds supporting them they can be ridiculously hard to kill thanks to 2+ rerollable Jink saves.

• Like 2

Wow....loving this new codex. It's tailored for me.

Azrael now confers his 4++ to his embarked vehicle. There's a formation that allows my land raider to be part of a squadron with 3 preds and to become BS5. There's another formation to allow deep striking land raiders. And Sableclaw can now be my warlord ('cause it has 'character' this time around). Long live AV14! :biggrin::laugh::biggrin::laugh:

On the down side, lost the portable field generator (not surprised) and the darkshroud no longer gives stealth to non-DA friendly models (a bit surprising). Also lost the DW vehicle upgrade (which isn't a loss, as it was too expensive and made painting DA vehicles wysiwyg nightmares)

Probably overlooked above, but that Hammer of Caliban is a pretty nifty formation.

Forms a super vehicle unit with 3 of a normal vehicle squadron (pred, whirly, or vindy), but adds a LR into the squadron

So, on the one hand, it adds 9 HP to your land raider, making it a bit more realistic to make assault under bad circumstances, for much less than the cost of a second land raider.

On the other hand, that LR could sit in front and tank hits for a 3-squadron of Whirlwinds or Vindicators who are using the 3-squdron bonus. It is notable that the preds bonus for 3-man is already conferred by the formation. If you look closely at the 3-vehcile bonus, they do still apply with a joined LR, they just only apply to the vehicle in question and only count the vehicle in question for the 3-vehicle requirement.

It is also notably that the formation gives your techmarine IC the tank hunter and monster hunter Special Rules, which both are conferred to a joined unit (see BRB on those rules).

I think this is actually one of the more abusable formations.

The Techmarine getting Monster/Tank Hunter is a neat trick, although the fact that he is forced to start embarked on it makes that a bit less abuseable (and all the more so since DA don't get Devastator Centurions or a similar unit.)

Using the LR to "shield" other vehicles seems... middling to me, although it could work to a degree. Three Vindicators plus a Crusader seems like the preferred setup there, allowing you to make use of the Apocalyptic Blast and ward off assault units that try to get in close with you. However, that's a pretty huge number of points- ~700 before you even look at sticking something inside the LR.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I think lr shield with 4++ which is pax'a mo would make for a decent shield, not too strong and would crumble to most list options but he could start in reserve roll them on for a good first showing.

With sky hammer assault formation most everything is vulnerable now.

• 2 weeks later...

So, thanks to FedEx DumbPost, I only just now got my Reclusiam Edition. But it was worth the wait. This is maybe the coolest special edition I've seen yet, mostly for one feature.  I got it, and opened the case and looked at the shiny Objective Markers and the Datacards, and the Dex itself, and then I was thinking "Hang on, wasn't there supposed to be a copy of the Cypher Dataslate in here, too?", and then I took another look at the case, and what at first appeared to be the very back of it actually lifts out, revealing a secret compartment with the Cypher Dataslate booklet in it. One of the most fluff-appropriate little touches I've ever seen.

• Like 3

Yeah, but this wasn't about the Rules, just about the presentation in the box.

And Cypher didn't get hit as badly as Shrike by that FAQ, at least. He can still at least pick up a Unit to hang with if you take Huron as Warlord. It's awkward and expensive, but at least he has an option.