Roadtrip destinations along Oregon/Washington coast?

King Mekhet

Hey everyone,

Taking a week-long road trip down the coast of Washington and Oregon with the ladyfriend this Saturday (starting in Vancouver, Canada and ending in Portland the following weekend). We have some loose plans for what we want to do (largely enjoying sandy beaches and delicious beer), but I wondered if any of you folks might have some suggestions for cool places to hit up? Also any good camping spots :)

Thanks!

• Like 1

If holding more to the coast than I5 I heartily recommend flyers brew pub in Oak harbor for a lunch then take the Coupeville ferry over to port Townsend. Hike the dungeness spit in Sequim, take a stop off at merrymere falls, and camp at the mora camp ground just outside forks at la push. Hike to second and third beach as well. Gorgeous stuff just amazing.

• Like 1

If holding more to the coast than I5 I heartily recommend flyers brew pub in Oak harbor for a lunch then take the Coupeville ferry over to port Townsend. Hike the dungeness spit in Sequim, take a stop off at merrymere falls, and camp at the mora camp ground just outside forks at la push. Hike to second and third beach as well. Gorgeous stuff just amazing.

if you want poopy food and beer stop by my house on Whidbey and I will drop a deuce on your plate. Flyers in oak harbor is pretty ungood. If you want to take the coupeville ferry get a reservation. Toby's tavern in coupeville is a dive but has great mussels from penn cove. Port Townsend brewery is nice. There is an app called brewery map that will map most breweries in an area. Between that and untapped you can find the best beer in any area.

When you said Oregon coast, I was thinking Oregon Coast, not Portland.  If you decide to hit up the other 80% of the Coast, Newport has several fun things, including Rogue Brewery on the bay.  Thor's Well is like an hour south of there. 

I'll echo the point about Oregon having an awesome coast, of which it seems you are not visiting...

Anyway, sounds like fun. As for suggestions, I really only know the 80% of the Oregon Coast you aren't going to. Lots of good natural tourist attractions, like parks, camping areas, and early oregon buildings/constructions. Good air too. Not sure on washington, but it's illegal to own the beach in oregon, so you can actually walk from one end to the other (mostly, some natural limitations in parts) without entering private beaches.

Our recent, man made attractions are all rather lacking, in my opinion. No real theme parks, smaller incarnations of attractions found in other states, and weather that just doesn't really support typical beach-stereotype activities. You can still have fun and some of the antique stores are pretty good, but mostly people go for nature/natural things.

I'll echo the point about Oregon having an awesome coast, of which it seems you are not visiting...

Anyway, sounds like fun. As for suggestions, I really only know the 80% of the Oregon Coast you aren't going to. Lots of good natural tourist attractions, like parks, camping areas, and early oregon buildings/constructions. Good air too. Not sure on washington, but it's illegal to own the beach in oregon, so you can actually walk from one end to the other (mostly, some natural limitations in parts) without entering private beaches.

Our recent, man made attractions are all rather lacking, in my opinion. No real theme parks, smaller incarnations of attractions found in other states, and weather that just doesn't really support typical beach-stereotype activities. You can still have fun and some of the antique stores are pretty good, but mostly people go for nature/natural things.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone!

To be clear, we *ARE* taking the route along the coast, to enjoy all the fun outdoorsy thingies. Also beer. We'll cut back into Portland at the end, then rip up the I-5 back home. But for most of the trip we'll be along the coast.

I shall look forward to trying out these many awesome suggestions. Then making the trek back down all over again for OFCC a few weeks later haha.

• Like 2

Reread your op, dungeness spit is about the most sand you can get on a Washington beach, and the la push beaches are amazing for some sand and ocean. Pack sunscreen cuz the wife and I have needed it both times we visited! Wish I was back in town (Bellingham, wa) we'd have loved to take an overnight in the whidbey island area too!

We are currently on a week plus weekends trip to Montana.

Oregon:

Battle Rock, Port Orford, 

Devil's Churn, Cap Perpetua

The Blow Hole in Yachats.

Bandon Beach

The Grey Whale pod in Depoe Bay (7 Miles on either side)

Hug Point - hike to the old  highway

Short Sands Beach

Fort Steven - Astoria

Neahkanie Mountain

Bob's Beach

Darlingtonia (Pitcher Plants reserve in Florence

The Light House at Hecetia Head

WA:

Whidbey Island!

• Like 1

I hear Washington has those vicious man eating oreo looking killer oversized dolphins that Seaworld goes through the hard, loving process of domesticating for the benefit of all.

We don't get those in Oregon.

Orcas? Oregon gets them. The transient pods move from Mexico to Alaska chasing seals. The fish eaters just hang out in the Salish sea.
  • Like 1

I know you can go whale watching and get them from time to time from various ports here, but the abundance of them that Washington has (relatively) makes it seem to me to be "the place to go" to check them out.  If I were traveling the Coast, I'd see looking into Killer Whale expeditions in Washington.  How's the Crabbing up there?

Back to Oregon, I mean, we were home to Free Willy when I was growing up.  We's gots Orcas.  ;)