2k Ravenguard List 7th Edition!

fluger

I might consider the Deathwind if it was a free swap. I would never pay points for it- it's simply too short of range and too likely to scatter onto your own models that just disembarked.

I've bought them a few times. It's decent, but nothing special. It's strong against horde armies like tyranids (gaunts) and orks, but is unfortunately lacking against MEQ, mid-AV vehicles, and so on. Much better off with those FW Deathstorm pods (never fielded these), if looking for pod-based shooting.

The FW Deathstorm is a legit threat; I've never tested them, but as part of a Pod-based strategy I feel like they might have some merit. But the regular Deathwind launcher is just... really underwhelming against most targets.

I think my decent = your underwhelming....

• 1 month later...

Was thinking about this more in relation to the article on Frontline and came up with this instead:

Combined Arms Detachment (Raptors CT):

Lias Issodon: 175

8 Honor Guard: 210

10 Scouts: 140
8 Bolters, 1 Missile Launcher
Combi-grav, Meltabombs

Combi-grav, Meltabombs

Combi-grav, Meltabombs

10 Scouts: 190
Combi-grav, Meltabombs
Land Speeder Storm:
Multimelta

Fire Raptor:  220

1st Company Strike Force (Ravenguard CT): 780

10 Sternguard Veterans: 220 + 35
Drop Pod

10 Vanguard Veterans: 270
Jump Packs, 4 Power Mauls, 2 Power Axes, 4 Meltabombs

10 Vanguard Veterans: 270
Jump Packs, 4 Power Mauls, 2 Power Axes, 4 Meltabombs

1995 pts

Lias comes stock with the strategic trait that lets him and 3 units get infiltrate.  That goes to the Vanguard Vets and the Honor Guard.  In this version, the scouts have ob-sec and the neat raptors tactic of being able to fire a single heavy shot with rending with their bolters.  

The Fire Raptor I'd keep with the Quad Bolters as it works out better against most targets, but I could easily switch it to Autocannons though.  

Quick question on Combat Squads.  Could I use the infiltrate ability on both units of Van Vets but then combat squad them after they infiltrate?  

Hmm, not too shabby, actually. Scouts with the Raptor tactic are pretty rad, as you get free almost-Sniper Rifles with them. I also like the distributed threat of the Combi-Gravs here, and Lias's tactic is pretty perfect for forcing the VV on the enemy, though they still suffer from being not particularly durable for their cost.

I think going Autocannons on your Fire Raptor is the right choice- you need more AT shooting (as you have very little to start with), so while they are less impressive than the Chaos version's double-Reapers, they are still going to provide a much-needed functionality.

• Like 1

You have to split into Combat Squads before determining Warlord Traits. I know Issodon has a fixed Trait, but that says to me that you also need to Combat Squad before applying the effects of Warlord Traits.

OK, but what about units that deploy then split, like coming out of a Rhino or Drop Pod? 

Hmm, not too shabby, actually.

So happy you think it even has a chance!  LOL

Scouts with the Raptor tactic are pretty rad, as you get free almost-Sniper Rifles with them.

Yeah, and the new boost to BS they are a nice threat.  Plus, they can still double tap against soft targets if needed.  Also, Honor Guard come with Bolters, so they can also do this.  

Lias's tactic is pretty perfect for forcing the VV on the enemy, though they still suffer from being not particularly durable for their cost.

Yeah, it's about the best way to use them and they still aren't even that exciting against wide swathes of the game.  I really like that formation for getting them fearless and fear is lolzy, but I can easily have 3 units within 12" to lower leadership, so that's neat. 

I think going Autocannons on your Fire Raptor is the right choice- you need more AT shooting (as you have very little to start with), so while they are less impressive than the Chaos version's double-Reapers, they are still going to provide a much-needed functionality.

Yeah, I keep waffling, but S7 is just more useful for dealing with vehicles, though the increase in shots makes the HB option better against MCs.

OK, but what about units that deploy then split, like coming out of a Rhino or Drop Pod? 

Combat Squads doesn't work that way anymore. Now they all have to Split or not before the Game starts, but the two halves of the Squad can get in the same Transport together, as an exception to the usual limit of 1 Squad per Transport.

I think the advantage of the Autocannon against Vehicles is worth the tradeoff against MCs in this build. You'll just have to be a bit careful and think ahead to deal with bunches of FMCs.

• Like 2

Why not take the BA angels force with the vets and sternguard instead. You need to pay for the raven but all the sweet upgrades are free.

The Jump Packs and Meltabombs don't come free, so he'd need to scrape out another 140 Points or so, and he wouldn't be able to Infiltrate the Vanguard Vets and have them Shrouded on Turn 1.

• Like 1

Why not take the BA angels force with the vets and sternguard instead. You need to pay for the raven but all the sweet upgrades are free.

1.  If you factor in the cost of the StormRaven and the reduced cost of power weapons on Van Vets in the SM dex, I'm only saving 95 pts

2.  The whole point of this exercise is to use the Ravenguard CT to it's maximum benefit, so I'd want at least ONE formation with that CT...

The requirement that the Sanguine Wing start in Reserves makes it really unwieldy. As-is, Fluger's got pretty good odds on a Turn 2 Charge with those Vets if he goes first. With a Sanguine Wing, there's no way they're Charging before Turn 3, it could easily be later, and they're going to have to endure a Turn of fire without the benefit of Shrouded. Plus, they're vulnerable to Interceptor, and can potentially Mishap.

• Like 1

The requirement that the Sanguine Wing start in Reserves makes it really unwieldy. As-is, Fluger's got pretty good odds on a Turn 2 Charge with those Vets if he goes first. With a Sanguine Wing, there's no way they're Charging before Turn 3, it could easily be later, and they're going to have to endure a Turn of fire without the benefit of Shrouded. Plus, they're vulnerable to Interceptor, and can potentially Mishap.

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head, there's a reason this is set up the way it is.  

I like that BA formation, but I'd make a different army to add it in.  

• 3 weeks later...
Combined Arms Detachment (Raptors CT):

Lias Issodon: 175

8 Honor Guard: 210

Combi-grav, Meltabombs

Combi-grav, Meltabombs

Combi-grav, Meltabombs

Land Speeder Storm:

Multimelta

Combi-grav, Meltabombs

Land Speeder Storm:

Multimelta

Fire Raptor:  220

1st Company Strike Force (Ravenguard CT): 780

10 Sternguard Veterans: 220 + 35

Drop Pod

9 Vanguard Veterans: 243

Jump Packs, 3 Power Mauls, 2 Power Axes, 4 Meltabombs

9 Vanguard Veterans: 243

Jump Packs, 3 Power Mauls, 2 Power Axes, 4 Meltabombs

1991 pts

Thought about it a bit more, and because I can't combat squad the Van Vets, I'd rather shave a guy off each unit and add another LS Storm with multimelta.  

Leaves me with 9 pts left over for 2k.