Necrons and their top tier lists

derek

Anyways the competitive lists somebody mentioned oberon but why him? I think zahndrek would be wayyyyyyyyy better for a competitive army list what about flayed ones I kinda like the idea of 20 of these guys putting out almost as many attacks as a squad of 30 boyz for just a immortal squad more in price. Any other good tips for competitive play

Whoops. I meant Zahndrek. I get those two mixed up sometimes because they're connected in the fluff.

Flayed Ones are solid. They're still Infantry-speed CC Units, so there will be games when someone can just dance away from them, but they're tough, and even a handful of them can put some hurt on most things that aren't themselves CC Units.

That jibes best.  and if it feels like someone is trying to screw you on a ruling, it means they usually are.  

Or you're too sensitive.  :P  

Honestly, what I like about TOURNAMENT FAQs is that 

1.  You know what you're getting into ahead of time.  

2.  You spend LESS time arguing about stuff IN GAME.  

I have nearly infinite patience for rules debates on forums, but, in game, unless I think it's super important, I'll usually just let it slide, or DICE IT.  Post game, let's talk about it.  

Also, just to circle back to the initial point about this, while *you* view it as easier to read the rule that way, doesn't mean it is.  I think GW has shown PLENTY of examples where their FAQ answer ended up being in favor of the more convoluted approach (Nid ICs not joining units in Mycetic Spores, the current IC/infiltrate one...etc).  

Derek, as to your list I think you have too many points in HQ and the C'Tan.  The little 5-strong units of immortals seem like they aren't going to be doing much of substance.  You mentioned Ghost Arks, yet, unless I'm misreading it, this list doesn't have any.  I think you'd be well rewarded by running two as rides for the immortals.  Not sure how to finagle the points, but I think it would be worth it.  

• Like 4

I have nearly infinite patience for rules debates on forums, but, in game, unless I think it's super important, I'll usually just let it slide, or DICE IT.  Post game, let's talk about it.  

Also, just to circle back to the initial point about this, while *you* view it as easier to read the rule that way, doesn't mean it is.  I think GW has shown PLENTY of examples where their FAQ answer ended up being in favor of the more convoluted approach (Nid ICs not joining units in Mycetic Spores, the current IC/infiltrate one...etc).  

I can't hit like on this enough times.

A monolith if you have one? Orcs don't bring much that can touch one of those.

Not sure on the current monolith, but my land raiders die to orks in every game against them. My Land Raiders last longer against imperial knights....

Or you're too sensitive.  :P  

I like the idea of FAQs for this purpose, but that ITC one has left me with many questions in each of the events I've played that followed it. And I ask these questions prior to the event and no one seems to have had the question asked....

Example?

Let's see, that mini-guardian cup we did. The ITC format/FAQ at the time strongly implied that LoWs were required to be thier own detachment. I got it clarified days before the event and I guess we had a mix of players fielding LoWs as a solo detachment and others fielding them as part of other detachments.

I suppose this is a format thing, but the ITC seems unclear where the line between FAQ and format are. The 2+ reroll and D weapon things used to be exclusively part of the format and are now exclusively in the FAQ. The invisibility mod too.

The FAQ itself, currently references USRs, despite not being a 7th ed concept. The Destroyer special rule is constantly referenced as a weapon type, which does create conflicts within the rules, if going purely as written (40k still has that social contract to avoid issues, mostly).

That modified destroyer table, by the way, still lists that it applies to destroyer penetrating hits, despite the destroyer special rule completely bypassing the penetration table.

There are others, and it's true, they are mostly nit-picky, but the FAQ should clarify things, not subtract levels of clarity.

Let's see, that mini-guardian cup we did. The ITC format/FAQ at the time strongly implied that LoWs were required to be thier own detachment. I got it clarified days before the event and I guess we had a mix of players fielding LoWs as a solo detachment and others fielding them as part of other detachments.

1 I suppose this is a format thing, but the ITC seems unclear where the line between FAQ and format are. The 2+ reroll and D weapon things used to be exclusively part of the format and are now exclusively in the FAQ. The invisibility mod too.

2 The FAQ itself, currently references USRs, despite not being a 7th ed concept. The Destroyer special rule is constantly referenced as a weapon type, which does create conflicts within the rules, if going purely as written (40k still has that social contract to avoid issues, mostly).

3 That modified destroyer table, by the way, still lists that it applies to destroyer penetrating hits, despite the destroyer special rule completely bypassing the penetration table.

4 There are others, and it's true, they are mostly nit-picky, but the FAQ should clarify things, not subtract levels of clarity.

1 - That was because of the changes to the Knight codex which delayed the update to see where the new book landed.

2 - That's a bit nitpicky (the USR bit) and Destroyers are specifically called 'Destroyer Weapons' in the 7th ed rulebook. The ITC faq refers to them the same way the rulebook does. You're incorrect on this one.

3 - The destroyer rule also directly refers to penetrating hits. You're incorrect on this as well.

Guys I get that people will disagree with me but I just don't see the rule mechanic working the way you do. So can we please just leave the topic alone Now it's been beat over the head like a million times now so I think we can all agree to disagree with how the mechanic should be played and how it will be played I will just have to ask every time I want to go to a tournament if theyre gonna play the game by the rule book or by that in my opinion somewhat terrible faq the itc prints out. But the original thread was to see exactly what necrons lists were looking like in the competitive scene not really debate the one ruling I disagree with. I'm really looking for actual lists that have been taken to tournaments since the necrons codex came out to events such as the storm of silence the guardian cup and stuff like that. Also I had questions about the mephrit dynasty relics and the ability to use them in conjunction with the necron codex it doesn't appear to say anything about relics and how many a model can take and how many of said relic can be taken so it sounds like you can take multiple god shackles to make a ctan t9 or t10. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that this was released prior to the codex dropping. I know a few people mentioned that I have alot of relics on hqs but when I was using army builder and that's what it allowed me to do so. I know there are no ghost arks shown but they are indeed in the list I just didn't type it out again I apologize for any condisending tones or rude posts.

But the original thread was to see exactly what necrons lists were looking like in the competitive scene not really debate the one ruling I disagree with. I'm really looking for actual lists that have been taken to tournaments since the necrons codex came out to events such as the storm of silence the guardian cup and stuff like that. 

Check out CaptainA's battle report from WargamesCon here:  https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2015/06/27/captain-a-wargames-con-tournament-report/

Bonus, CaptainA posts here so you can ask him questions here as well.  

Basically, almost every list I've seen of Necrons that does well is using the Decurion to leverage 4+ RP and almost always has the Canoptek Harvest or Destroyer Cult or both.  

I think those two formations in the Decurion are the standouts (I prefer the Destroyer Cult personally).  

AbusePuppy (also posts here!) has a great article about list building with the Necrons (this article came out when the dex dropped, so it's more speculative). http://www.3plusplus.net/2015/02/little-pieces-necron-sub-assemblies-for-consideration//

Whether you like their FAQ or not, the Frontline Gaming review of the dex is solid as well:  https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2015/02/01/necron-codex-review-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-part-1-hqs/

Not really a list building guide by any means, but talks about the units individually.  

Basically, I think if you stick to the Decurion and Ghost Arks for the troops, you'll have a fine list (night scythes are great too, but I guess you are avoiding them).  

Also I had questions about the mephrit dynasty relics and the ability to use them in conjunction with the necron codex it doesn't appear to say anything about relics and how many a model can take and how many of said relic can be taken so it sounds like you can take multiple god shackles to make a ctan t9 or t10. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that this was released prior to the codex dropping. I know a few people mentioned that I have alot of relics on hqs but when I was using army builder and that's what it allowed me to do so. 

Don't trust Army Builder!  

I know there are no ghost arks shown but they are indeed in the list I just didn't type it out again I apologize for any condisending tones or rude posts.

I would recommend just writing it up in Notepad and posting it.  That's what us plebs do.  

Then the itc might as well write their own rulebook for the game since they obviously do it better. I'm sorry for sounding rude but I've been asking for a while now that we can leave the discussion of the itc rules and stuff alone I'm asking for competitive necron lists not to debate the itc rules

Then the itc might as well write their own rulebook for the game since they obviously do it better. I'm sorry for sounding rude but I've been asking for a while now that we can leave the discussion of the itc rules and stuff alone I'm asking for competitive necron lists not to debate the itc rules

I have, actually been considering making an unofficial re-write of the BRB just to get the RAW in better form. Longer examples for rules in the BRB would also be a welcome addition. Mind you, this wouldn't be intended as my version of the rules, but as a cleaner copy of their rules.

That said, I'm pretty there's a huge copyright lawsuit waiting for anyone that creates a free/paid version of the GW rules, but isn't GW...

You really can't stack god shackles. I really don't even think you can stack relics on any character. They are relics, only 1 is meant to exist. I'm not going to dig around in the rule book to find out why, but I'm fairly certain you can only give an HQ or special character 1 relic at a time. I believe you can only add the Mephrit relics to your list of available relics by using their detachments.

Well in the exterminatus rules where it shows the relics allowed to be picked if you took the detachment it says absolutely nothing about only one of each relic can be taken. and other forums have discussed this and have come to the decision that until it's faqd that multiple relics can be taken in that detachment Forums such as war seer and I believe abuse puppy said the same thing a while back when this book was released I can't remember. Other forums have also stated that there is no such limitations frOm that book like the codexes. And I am pretty sure that there is nothing in the rulebook limiting you to one relic from codexes. The idea wasn't taking 2 god shackles on 1 cryptek it was taking multiple crypteks and then adding the benefits to 1 ctan since again straight from the exterminatus rules there's nothing stating that it doesn't stack or that multiple of any relic cant be taken. Fluger I didn't see your posts earlier and I did look at front line gaming's review of the codex and I strongly disagree with alot of reccius determination of good and bad units as alot of people have stated to me since I started this game there are no bad units just bad generals now I have found units that just can't do anything besides be cannon fodder ( dark eldar wyches) but that was after I had looked and repeatedly tried them so. I did read captain A's war game's con review and I did enjoy seeing what he did. Army builder hasn't failed me yet but battle scribe has. Also notice on the relics with my hqs none of them have multiple unless it doesn't effect their wargear such as weapons. Anyways thanks for the help guys again for the millionth time I apologize if I ever came off as condisending or rude or offensive that's not really me I'm very laid back and not one to get fired up about these things

For me, if I was going to build a Necron list, I'd start with Decurion with Destroyer Cult. 

I think I'd have Ghost Arks for the warriors and Night Scythes for the Immortals.  I get what Captain A's list does with the wraith star, but that's not my style.  I'd rather have lots of warriors and Ghost Arks instead. 

Pfft, whatever, grandpa. Spelling and punctuation and formatting are fold you old timers who have a million years to sit around and worry about whether or not anyone will bother to read the things you write.

The cute part about this is that Ripphook is the guy that can't join the Warhamsters in drinking shenanigans because he's too young.

• Like 2