Paint change?

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I'm tired of games workshop paint pots. They always dry out and their pigmentation seems to be too thick. So I'm in the market for changing between Vallejo for army painters. I want to move to dropper paints so I can work on mixing and ratio control. I plan to purge my gw paints for the most part.

So I wanted to hear what people think. The range for Vallejo is amazing but cost seems to be much more. Army painter is a smaller range and with my skill set I don't think I need 20 versions of blue or red. So what do people like better? I know I will likely keep some gw paints but not many. Also I don't plan to move to an airbrush or anything.

Vallejo is more than citadel paints these days? Isn't citadel 3.5-4 a pot? I like Vallejo, Model Masters, P3. Model Masters can be thicker than the other two depending on the color, but I think that line is favored by historically due to color matching. P3 is nice, but their paint pots are $&%!.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Yeah p3 have been best paints I have used which I have only used army painter and citadel. But pots are pots no matter the shape or size and I hate pots.

I meant to say Vallejo is more than army painter because variety of range is deeper. Not that Vallejo is more than he per say.

I have the Badger Minitaire paints in opaque and ghost tint and I love them. For metallics I use the some Reaper colors and some Game Colors though. Reaper white leather is a fantastic white and for crazy bright yellow I use the GW one. I've also heard good things about Scale 75 (I believe that's the name or close to it). Basically, it's hard to go wrong with any miniature paint in a dropper bottle.

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Not the quality I dislike but the pot. I want to try and not waste as much paint. I also want to blend my paints better and increase my skills

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I like the pigment of p3 but still had problems with the seal and lost a few paints. I just want to avoid anything that is not a dropper.

Thanks for the other line suggestions didn't know there was so many.

I use mainly use P3s so I will always talk them up but if you are really wanting dropper bottles I would recommend looking at Reaper Master Series Paints. https://www.reapermini.com/Paints

Several industry professionals that I follow are using them now and the ones that I have are great. I really like the triad color system with it's matched set of base/highlight/ shades. And their color selection is amazing. 

you can always pick up some empty dropper bottles - and move the paint you like into them.  I do that from time to time on a bigger project.  

I also hate the GW pots - but I still buy them… but I will buy any brand or type when I paint - I am just looking for the colors I want to use on a given project.  I have p3, GW, Vallejo… army painter… etc.  I also go to auto parts stores for base color / primer Duplo Color…  I also use powders and make-up.  I wouldn't limit yourself to any one brand unless you have issues with conformity lol.  Typically - I when I am planning a new army or force I work out colors - and buy what fits my minds eye.  Doesn't matter where from - as long as I can figure out how to get it on the figure.  Sometimes I have to come back with a matte coat to give something for the next layer of paint to stick to though.

Washes… you can use inks… or other pigments from any craft store.  I've been washing and inking since 1989… just thin down your paint to nearly water (BAM - you got a wash) lol.  

-d

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Called I have conformity issues for lost part when it comes to my selection. I don't an to purge all my gw and never buy gw again or other sources I just want to move to a different Baseline of colors. Making my own droppers seems too much of a hassle, call me lazy ;)

I find dark colors watered down make great inks, but water down light colors fail as it seems the pigments are heavier and the wash seems to separate more on the model.

Thanks for all the feedback. I want to step up my painting game a bit and my wxpierence with dropper paints have been much better. I tend to lay paint on too thick so I think a new line might help.

always thin out your ink… work in layers if you can… with my writhguard last year - blue on the heads - I had the paint to milk like consistency over a base color - layers (4-5) or so… to get the blends to work out like I wanted them.  

good luck

-d

I really like the triad color system with it's matched set of base/highlight/ shades. And their color selection is amazing. 

These are amazing. I want to move this direction permanently, some day. I have used a few of the triads on customers builds; it is very awesome and time saving.

If you are still looking, I've fallen in love with scale75.

So matte, so smooth, so quick drying on the model. Use a wet palette and paint unthinned.

http://www.fantization.com/Scale_Color_Sets_Scale75.aspx

I'm not a painter but I had so much joy in my heart from painting with these I painted more than I needed for ofcc, and gushed about them multiple times to anyone who would listen over the weekend.

• Like 2

If you are still looking, I've fallen in love with scale75.

So matte, so smooth, so quick drying on the model. Use a wet palette and paint unthinned.

http://www.fantization.com/Scale_Color_Sets_Scale75.aspx

I'm not a painter but I had so much joy in my heart from painting with these I painted more than I needed for ofcc, and gushed about them multiple times to anyone who would listen over the weekend.

I have been thinking about trying Scale 75, I'm glad you have good things to say.

The metallic colors also super impressed me. There are some really pretty yellow gold, and the metal flakes in them are super small. I ended up buying the entire line both regular and game color. The "full sets" don't include the metallics or inks. I'm still using the gw washes cuz I have them and my color scheme relies on them. I bought the intensity but have yet to use it.

If you have any specific question about which colors/sets overlap pm me. The reason I gave the link I did is that the shipping direct from scale75 is exorbitant, Fantization had a good price, automatic discounts at certain price points and they shipped fast. Very happy with my interactions with them.