Over-Lawyering. Lets knock it the F@#* Off!

This thread brings to me a long time pet peeve. I have been guilty of this a thousand times in the past, but can we, just maybe, in this new edition, give a serious attempt to... just stop it!

The thing is, over-lawyering rules is exactly what the internet does best. We see the rule says "XYZ" so we argue that "XY;Z" is wrong. It is also what often makes games un-fun.

Yes, it is nice to have a clean, clear rule set that leaves few question during the game... but when we see a vague-ish wording on a rule, lets not try for the most literal reading. Rules writers are (I think) human and might not always be clear! Lets interpret rules as what makes the most sense in these cases.

"I summoned stuff so I lose" is a scenario that makes zero sense. Can we as intelligent players assume that is not the actual meaning of the rule?

The AoS rule set is the time to start this. It is super simple and there will be cases where the players might need to "translate" unclear rules. Can we please begin to use common sense instead of "Lawyering" our rules? The game is for fun after all and Lawyering the community into a bad rule does not add fun for anyone really... other than for those lawyers out there.... AgentP (I kid!)

• Like 2

This thread brings to me a long time pet peeve. I have been guilty of this a thousand times in the past, but can we, just maybe, in this new edition, give a serious attempt to... just stop it!

The thing is, over-lawyering rules is exactly what the internet does best. We see the rule says "XYZ" so we argue that "XY;Z" is wrong. It is also what often makes games un-fun.

Yes, it is nice to have a clean, clear rule set that leaves few question during the game... but when we see a vague-ish wording on a rule, lets not try for the most literal reading. Rules writers are (I think) human and might not always be clear! Lets interpret rules as what makes the most sense in these cases.

"I summoned stuff so I lose" is a scenario that makes zero sense. Can we as intelligent players assume that is not the actual meaning of the rule?

The AoS rule set is the time to start this. It is super simple and there will be cases where the players might need to "translate" unclear rules. Can we please begin to use common sense instead of "Lawyering" our rules? The game is for fun after all and Lawyering the community into a bad rule does not add fun for anyone really... other than for those lawyers out there.... AgentP (I kid!)

So that's "rules Lawyering"?

Never been accused of that before lol...I thought I was just posting about the wording of a rule in a different language.I found it interesting to be so much more clear in a different language.GW writes permissive rule sets and im very hesitant to read into them more than what is literally written down.I often surf forums(this one included) looking for clarification:)

I could jump into the topic I found yesterday about Dual Weapons in AoS were some are insisting that models armed with 2 of the same weapons get to attack with each weapon in melee even though the Warscroll states some form of "paired weapons" bonus for having dual weapons...BUT I have to draw the line on my "Duh moments" some were!

• Like 3

So that's "rules Lawyering"?

Certainly not the best example of it (try harder next time :tongue:  )!

But it is a good example of taking the exact words of the rule too literally.

Clarity differences between translations is something I would expect. Though it would be interesting to know their process of clarifying for translations. Did some one ask "Hey, how is this supposed to work?" or was it more of the translator attempting to clarify it in the process. Or just a happy circumstance that it turned out better in German.

I could jump into the topic I found yesterday about Dual Weapons in AoS were some are insisting that models armed with 2 of the same weapons get to attack with each weapon in melee even though the Warscroll states some form of "paired weapons" bonus for having dual weapons...BUT I have to draw the line on my "Duh moments" some were!

This one was answered by the orc warscrolls ;)