Laser Terrain Co. Kick Starter

Raindog

I went ahead and got in on this… but I had to drop my pledges down a bit on another one I was doing.  But the lighted flooring … I think I may try an experiment over the next few days to duplicate that look.  It seems that they are using "edge glow" plastic… side lighting with led's somehow and etching the plastic.  If I can duplicate something even remotely like it - I will probably drop from the kickstarter.  

hoping to stop at tapp, a craftstore  and frys this week :)

-d

I got the impression that the transparent plastic has an opaque top coating that is then laser etched, letting the light through.  My buddy at work is doing great things with audrinos and led strips.  I'm working on building up that skill set.  I have basic electronic and solder skills, so it shouldn't be a stretch.  

hmmm it could be done with an opaque top coat - but seems like an extra step in the effect to me.  Really - either laser etching or somehow (sand-blasting  / etching) would achieve a similar look.  apply led lighting to the edge of a clear acrylic sheet… and the light will move to the edges… or to the edges created by the etching.  I was thinking about some of this cool "glow wire" and testing out if the light was sufficient to produce the effect.  I had seen some glow wire at frys - along with some glow tape (flat "glow" led?)… I am thinking just about applying the glow tape to the edge of the plastic sheet… and etch it with my drmel - as a test.

-d

• Like 1