Annihilation 5: Age of Annihilation

Humm..wondering...

Would it be allowed to "sideboard out" a warscroll then just retain those points in the reserve pool for summoning use?

May seem goofy but with the Flesh Eaters,,they dont actually have to roll for summoning and can bring in a new unit(flesh eater unit of course) by just placing it near any board at least 9" from an enemy.My be useful for catering to what and how your opponent deploys.

Humm..wondering...

Would it be allowed to "sideboard out" a warscroll then just retain those points in the reserve pool for summoning use?

May seem goofy but with the Flesh Eaters,,they dont actually have to roll for summoning and can bring in a new unit(flesh eater unit of course) by just placing it near any board at least 9" from an enemy.My be useful for catering to what and how your opponent deploys.

It seems like you should be able to. Reserve points seem to be treated like any other points expenditure, so it stands to reason that you would be able to would be able to sideboard them. Although if that's your plan, I would think that simply dedicating the points to reserve initially would be the preferred option.

Yeah,im thinking I would need to have reserve points alocated just for the purpose of summoning.

For instance if I were to populate my reserve pool with a Mournghoul(400pts) and an additional 100 points used to swap out something that cost 100 pts(or less) then bring it in through summoning or an ability that adds additional units.

It does certainly come back to the "why not just start everything on the board?".However with Flesh Eaters and several others that have abilities that can bring in new units without the need for a summoning roll,and in many cases can be placed anywere on the board or any board edge,then reserving points to hold off a unit or two in order to get a much more favorable entry near backfield casters or ranged units is much more preferable.Were is when facing a more melee focused army its usually preferable to just start all units on the board so they can take advantage of buff bubbles.

Humm..wondering...

I'm a bit confused here. Do you want 500 extra in summoning pts per game which would seem unfair. But your not the type to do that so im missing what your asking for.

Just to be able to place "points for units" in reserve..think of it this way,instead of placing actual units into reserve,place just points for units in reserve...this way I could either start with my base list,or choose to start with a summoning pool (less the units I removed to pay for the pool of course)and have those points available to summon in with(or bring in through other means.

Looking for a little feedback on my list.

Dragonlord 400

Glade Captain 80

Nomad Prince 80

Wayfinder 100

Waystrider 80

Dragon Blades x5 160

Phoenix Guard x10 200

Sisters of the Thorn x5 220

Glade Guard x10 120 (Battleline)

Glade Guard x10 120 (Battleline)

Waywatchers x12 320 (Battleline)

High Elf Repeater Bolt Thrower 120

I just want to make sure that the two Glade Guard and the Waywatchers are actually valid for my battleline units.

Can Warscroll Battalions be in the 500 point sideboard? The way the sideboard is phrased makes it sound like you can only use one Warscroll in the 500 points.

I do not think you should be able to use those 500 sideboard points towards summoning warscrolls. It effectively means the player would have 2000 points sitting on the table, with another 500 points waiting to come in when summoned. You could have a 2500 vs. 2000 point game on the table, and that seems a bit unfair.

Unless what you mean is a warscroll is in the sideboard that can summon models has to use those sideboard points for paying for the summoning warscrolls? Say a Wizard that costs 100 points can summon warscroll X, and so the player uses 400 sideboard points to pay for the summoned warscroll? That would mean the player could effectively "swap out" 100 points of his 2000 point list, and be able to summon another 400 points. Again, that could lead to a 2400 vs. 2000 point match, and, well, ugh.

I'd say all warscrolls that are summoned should be in a separate point pile payed for by the base 2000 points. If the sideboarded warscroll can summon units, then those units should have to come from those paid for already in the 2000 base points.

*edited to add summoning sidebaord units.

Edited by Tamwulf

Any way you look at it,,by the time you are done sideboarding prior to game start,,your new list can still only be a total of 2000 points,this includes battalions,warscrolls and any reserve points intended to be used to summon with.So if a player chooses to play with a sideboard of just 500 points and no specific warscrolls at all,,then they can either start the game with their base list OR choose to "Sideboard" out 500 points in warscrolls and take the points instead,starting the game with a 1500 points of warscrolls and 500 points of summoning capability..Keep in mind about summoning ,a player can choose to bring in through summoning any warscroll from their Grand Alliance,,,it doesnt have to be "in their sideboard",well..I know that this isint stated but I dont see why it would be any different.

I can only assume that allocating sideboard points to the cost of a battalion is allowed,,,dont see why not.

Another interesting thing about sideboarding is if a player chooses a base 2k list that is a bit under streanth,,say its 1960 pts,I can assume that after sideboarding they can actually be at 2k?...as in maybe switching out a warscroll or two then taking additional "summoning points" that were allocated in the sideboard and adding in the 40 points they were down to now have a 2k list.

Im sure there will be many tweaks to this sideboard system over the next several events.It seems simple enough but theres always special situations that come up.

So the absolute limit of play per game is 2k? The advantage of summoning becomes somewhat of an ambush. Summoning allows deployment of units where they may not be expected.

The Generals Book has you pay for summoning warscrolls out of the total points for the match. There has to be some limit or restriction in summoning otherwise you run into a situation in a regular game (a game not using the General's Handbook) where your opponent can double the size of his army very quickly. The reason for this is because many Death armies and Chaos (Deamon) armies can literally summon entire units every Hero Phase. A Vampire Counts army where every Hero can summon a variety of warscrolls, and each unit (Skeletons, Zombies, Ghouls, Wolves, Bats) can even summon more models for their warscroll... Basically, the Undead player spends the first 1-2 turns of the game summoning and doubling the size of his army. And they continue summoning every Hero Phase until the end of the game.

• Like 1

The Generals Book has you pay for summoning warscrolls out of the total points for the match. There has to be some limit or restriction in summoning otherwise you run into a situation in a regular game (a game not using the General's Handbook) where your opponent can double the size of his army very quickly. The reason for this is because many Death armies and Chaos (Deamon) armies can literally summon entire units every Hero Phase. A Vampire Counts army where every Hero can summon a variety of warscrolls, and each unit (Skeletons, Zombies, Ghouls, Wolves, Bats) can even summon more models for their warscroll... Basically, the Undead player spends the first 1-2 turns of the game summoning and doubling the size of his army. And they continue summoning every Hero Phase until the end of the game.

Well [big bad swear word]. Turns out I dont know how to use technology. I think what the General's Handbook means is that in a 2000 point game an army with summoning may only use 2000 points of units per game. So maybe during deployment they use 500 then summon 1500 during play. Now a death army is a bit different because of necromancy but they cannot bring on additional units besides those they elected for the 2000 points in the game. Even with a side board you must elect an army of up to the absolute point limit and cannot use units by any means over that absolute limit. That is the only interpretation that is "fair." I'm not SURE im correct on this so feel free to let me know.

You build an army of 2000 pts.  This is a combination of models you lay down at the start of the game, and a pool of summoning points.  So for example 1500 pts that start the game, then 500pts of anything you want to summon.

Healing units via raising previously slain models, so for example skeleton banners, do not take points.