Pacific Crest Trail

InfestedKerrigan

Anyone here have any experience with the PCT?  Or interest in it?  I'm thinking about starting it next year.  I am no where near ready to do the whole thing in one go, but I think if I can do it in 4 segments over 2017-20, I can do the whole thing in 2021, and the Appalachian Trail in 2022, before I turn 40 in 2023.  

• Like 1

Oh, I am for sure.  And it enters California down here near Ashland.  If it were a month ago, I'd be on it right now heading to Washington.  I don't trust the weather this time of the year, though, and I'm too inexperienced to be comfortable with it.  Which also plays into doing it in portions.  I'm thinking Oregon, Washington, and split Cali into Oregon to Yosemite, and Yosemite to San Diego.  I have family in the San Joaquin, where I was born, that could give me rides between the airport in Fresno, and Yosemite.  

I don't expect to have my army on the trail, but I do think dice are a possibility.  Gathering stones to play proxy would be hella rad.  So, if it works out to meet other Ordites on the Trail, well, here we have the thread.   :biggrin:

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I have done portions and it is a lot of fun but nothing beyond 5 days.

If you plan to do it as many enthusiasts intend the resupply strategy is important. A simple way to handle is to use local post offices and drop care packages for them to hold for you.

I have always wanted to try a longer run.

• Like 3

My trail backpack is an older metal frame.  It's great, but it's a lot of extra weight for 1-6 months in the mountains.  I figure I'll be investing in "new" equipment, to make this trip as safe, efficient, and manageable as possible.  Plus I need weight allowance for dice, or tools to fashion dice in the wilderness.  Diamond tip bits may make it into my pack.  

Yeah, I was seeing that on the PCTA page, using the post office as forwarding and resupplying.  I don't like the idea of cash on me, but I'd want to support "local" as best I could, rather than shipping in supplies from Rogue Valley.  Doesn't seem ecologically sound, and mildly hypocritical in convening with nature.  Then again, I'm wondering how feasible living off the trail is, but remind myself that I don't want to end up dead in a rotting VW in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness.  

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Unless you plan to hunt, carrying a weapon to live off the land is a LOT of extra WEIGHT. Not to mention, knowing where to find and how to dispose, that will extend trip by a lot. Not to mention the legality concerns of multiple states.

• Like 1

At the moment, I'm not planning on having any firearms on me, although with the state of the nation, who knows what the next few years will bring.  Maybe we will all be living in the wilderness. 

Anyway, no firearms, just a knife and hatchet.  Carrying a bow 2600 miles is also a bit on the undesirable side.  Although, there is that underlying alpha tendency to be like "NO!  I WANT to carry a bow 2600 miles AND hunt with it AND eschew society, because I'm a man and that's what men do!"  Even though that's not how I think on a day to day basis.  I think it'd be more about...proving my grit.  I'd be doing it for me to show myself that I can.  Like you said, though, then in addition to the Trail Passes, I'll have to worry about weapon permits, seasonal hunting constraints, etc. in the 3 states.  And the additional responsibility of appropriately disposing of unused portions and carcass.  

Where about's have you done, Mr B?

i've been on several portions of the PCT... but typically just as a route to another spur trail location.  If I were to get back to it - I would look at ultra light backpacking practices and bulk up the weight savings on a simple diet of dehydrated meals.  It can be done - just lots of planning involved.  check out this...  http://adventure alan  I've been following his page for a long time.  Lots of great tips.  Picking the times to do the hike will be critical of course.  I wish you the best of luck - and of course we expect a travel blog to follow any progress when you start.

-d

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Just in the parts that run through the gorge so the more populated hiking camping areas. From my experience I have learned start after snow melt when still cold and wet as mosquitos can be really bad in parts. I have seen parts of trail in California and Washington. It only camped in the parts before you cross to WA. Been a almost a decade but would love to do parts of it again.

I saw a bear and a cougar in that area. I would suggest if solo carry a large caliber pistol. If in a group not really a big deal. Mind you I'm not a gun guy but I would rather be armed out there than not. I don't fear the people it is more to deal with possible large predators.

• Like 1