Fall Escalation League: Week 3

Raindog

200 points.

4 SWC

It is finally time to take Lts. and Command Tokens. 

Scenario: 

Front Mine!

Each player places five mines in the opposing player's half of the table, outside their deployment zone before deployment.

No matter who places the mine, the mines start the game as hostile to both forces.

1) The side who deactivates or destroys the greatest number of mines will score a league point

Note: Causing a mine to detonates with a troop who suffers a wound will not count for scoring purposes.

2) The player with the model the farthest into his opponent's half of the table will score a league point.

Bring food.

Bring a friend.

So the info on dealing with mines seems scattered, and I am unsure how to deal with them.  

http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Mines has 0 information on how to deal with them except that Impersonation 1 and 2 do not trigger them.  

Are the hackable?

This page provides no info on how engineers might deal with them:

http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Engineer

This page has some info, but is also kind of useless for a whole picture.

http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Minesweeper

Sometimes I really don't understand how you are supposed to figure out this game.  

Things are only hackable if they have the hackable trait, or the hacking program in question states specifically that they can be affected.  For mines the only applicable program would be spotlight, and only after they had been discovered.  

This is the important line on the Engineer page: 

Deactivator is essentially a BS attack that can be made against deployable equipment.   It can not be made against camo markers, so the item must be discovered before use.  You can get the rest of the details if you go back to the engineer page and click on deactivator.  Never once in any game have I needed to use this ability, as in most cases shooting at the mine will full burst is just as good and can be done by any trooper.  Also it's important to note that the +6 range band is essentially useless against deployable weapons, as a successful deactivation roll does not prevent the mine from going off when you are within it's activation zone.

Minesweeper is another neat, but almost never used ability.  You basically walk the troop into the devices range, and then pray as you make a wip roll.   If you win, the weapon is now friendly to you and works against your opponent.   If you fail, you end up taking the hit.  

And don't worry about figuring the game out 100%, after playing for a year I still revert to the rules book in nearly every game.   Knowing the bare-bones is good enough in most games, and then you will pick up useful tidbits either by experimenting with a rule or by having somebody use it against you.

Edit:   Those were the HS2 rules for minesweeper, which are no longer true  It now functions as a BS attack and will not stop a mine from going off if you enter it's area of effect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also it's important to note that the +6 range band is essentially useless against deployable weapons, as a successful deactivation roll does not prevent the mine from going off when you are within it's activation zone.

Minesweeper is another neat, but almost never used ability.  You basically walk the troop into the devices range, and then pray as you make a wip roll.   If you win, the weapon is now friendly to you and works against your opponent.   If you fail, you end up taking the hit.  

I'm still chewing on this, but something doesn't sit right...

I'm still chewing on this, but something doesn't sit right...

Which part?   

The first part, against deactivator is sad but true.  You cozy up to a mine for the +6 without setting it off, deactivator just doesn't have that ability.

The second part, however, is now wrong.  We looked in the HS3 book at last week's game and saw that it has new rules.  It now works with range bands and does not protect you from a mine going off when you get close.  It is essentially deactivator which gives you control of the mine instead of disabling it.  Another way to think of it is just like any other BS attack.  You can walk up to a mine and shoot it from within 8", but that won't stop it from exploding on you.

Here's a whole big thread about it, and I'll edit my original post so that wrong info isn't floating around.

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/43346-deactivator-and-minesweeper-at-0-8/

• Like 1