Blood Angels: ITC Tournament list - 1850ptc

spagunk

Compared to what? Thunder Fire Cannon? Wyverns?

I don't think BA have access to either of those. I agree, those are probably better barrage options. Though in terms of points, it is true that whirlwinds are very likely to make their cost in points back, plus merely having one on the table can greatly influence the opponent's deployment. 

The Formation doesn't have an option for Whirlwinds, tho.

My first impulse is to go for another Predator, because I think they're awesome, but the Attack Bike is probably the best option.

Compared to what? Thunder Fire Cannon? Wyverns?

Its not a matter of comparison.  The whirlwind is in and of itself a very efficient killer for its points.  Its impact on a game outstrips its points much more often than it does not.  ANY weapon can be marginalized for a reason, but when you pay that little for something like that, it's hard to call it a "waste" in any list.   It may be a bad fit, or points might not be there for it and so on.  Lots of reasons or "better units" might be there to take.  But as it stands, it's a good unit becuase it costs little and does a lot for its cost.

I wrote an article in 2013 about how to make Blood Angels work and of course its dated now.  But in that article, I even included two whirlwinds in the list I developed.   http://40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/05/how-do-i-make-blood-angels-work-again.html  (fair warning its an old article)

I havent had much cause to look at Blood Angels in a long time since I mostly just kill them.  I basically never play Marine armies now and the closest I get is Grey Knights these days.  I have always liked them though for their cost.

Yeah, I came into this knowing that I'd gimp myself by going BA only. However I genuinely feel that BA, though not top tier, aren't push overs and intend to give it a try.

Still trying to see what I want to do with 165 points. The lazy route is to just add a MM attack bike and drop an extra armor upgrade on the land raider or something.

• Like 2

Yeah, I came into this knowing that I'd gimp myself by going BA only. However I genuinely feel that BA, though not top tier, aren't push overs and intend to give it a try.

Still trying to see what I want to do with 165 points. The lazy route is to just add a MM attack bike and drop an extra armor upgrade on the land raider or something.

Nah, I don't find BA particularly lacking, though I do think that most of their formation options don't play to strengths of the codex itself. In example, librarian dreadnought is unique to the BA, yet no BA formation (maybe angel's blade?) has any librarian dreadnought options.

And if you do go the route of libby dreadnought, one of the supplements has an artefact option which gives a modified extra armor upgrade to dreadnoughts. It's notable because the libby dread can take it, despite libby dreads not normally having extra armor access.

In general, the BA CAD is much stronger than most of their formation options, just due to how restrictive their formations are. In particular, Cassor the Damned (special character DC dreadnought from starter set) is a troops slot DC dread, which becomes objective secured in a CAD. He's pretty awesome and the Draft FAQ finally addressed his missing Strength score.

I do find the "Fury of Baal" to be a really cool artefact that I wish my DA had, as it's probably the only pistol option in the game for a generic terminator IC - plus it's a plasma weapon, and for DA, that's kinda our thing. Not sure if it's worth 25pts to BA, but I'd field one in my DA for sure.

Honestly, if I didn't get so into my DA, I'd be playing BA. They have a strong standard codex with only a few major flaws: Lacking invulnerable save access and lacking initiative order AT options, plus formations that don't play to the strengths of the codex. 

Caveat: Lord Hanaur says that about literally every army and every build in the game.

I actually DON'T say that about every army at the BAO.  I say it about the ones that factually did fine at the BAO.  

Because, as I have so frequently said, it is a lot more about what you do with it than the list itself.  The list has to be good, and I would never suggest otherwise (despite what some people say) but I just don't buy into the doom and gloom that cynics enjoy living in.

I actually DON'T say that about every army at the BAO.  I say it about the ones that factually did fine at the BAO.  

Because, as I have so frequently said, it is a lot more about what you do with it than the list itself.  The list has to be good, and I would never suggest otherwise (despite what some people say) but I just don't buy into the doom and gloom that cynics enjoy living in.

I don't usually disagree when you say it, but you do say it a lot.

I do agree with your mentality, often, but I don't find it cynical to comment that you do say this sort of thing a lot.

Caveat: Lord Hanaur says that about literally every army and every build in the game.

He's just teasing you, LH. Note how he didn't disagree with your point, he just pointed out that your attitude towards BA is a common attitude for you.

There is a non-specific dread formation in angel's blade that allows them to forgo movement in the movement phase and either shoot as if they were in the shooting face or pile in and fight as if it were the fight sub-phase. But it applies to any libby dread, normal dread or furioso.

So a bit situational and requires 3 dread units. The good part is that if one dies you don't forfeit your formation bonus.

I don't usually disagree when you say it, but you do say it a lot.

I do agree with your mentality, often, but I don't find it cynical to comment that you do say this sort of thing a lot.

He's just teasing you, LH. Note how he didn't disagree with your point, he just pointed out that your attitude towards BA is a common attitude for you.

It is absolutely cynicism to take the opposite view.  If I had that attitude, I would never win a game.  

Anywho back to the Blood Angels speak.

Oooo, I get to do a meme. I never do these because I so rarely know a reference to the phase that needs saying.

It is absolutely cynicism to take the opposite view.  If I had that attitude, I would never win a game.  

Anywho back to the Blood Angels speak.

a5b1fa2e840b8b6934d42939d4f7ed6255a9d949

cyn·i·cism

noun

an inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; skepticism.

Cynicism does not equal disagreement.

There is a non-specific dread formation in angel's blade that allows them to forgo movement in the movement phase and either shoot as if they were in the shooting face or pile in and fight as if it were the fight sub-phase. But it applies to any libby dread, normal dread or furioso.

So a bit situational and requires 3 dread units. The good part is that if one dies you don't forfeit your formation bonus.

Libby dread doesn't really have any shooting, since psychic shooting is now psychic phase. Maybe a storm bolter?

Libby dread doesn't really have any shooting, since psychic shooting is now psychic phase. Maybe a storm bolter?

No, but if you are in an assault, then it turns into two assaults. If I remember correctly,

People talk about dakka dreads and stuff. The potential for 4 frag cannon shots and two heavy flamers sounds interesting.

No, but if you are in an assault, then it turns into two assaults. If I remember correctly,

People talk about dakka dreads and stuff. The potential for 4 frag cannon shots and two heavy flamers sounds interesting.

Noteable is that the wall of death rules apply per template weapon, not per shot with a template weapon. Could definitely be an oversight, but as written, overwatch still does d3 hits with an assault 12 flamer (example, not a real thing, yet...). This is clearly written in the template weapon rules, though again, could be an oversight due to most template weapons only having a single shot. 

Noteable is that the wall of death rules apply per template weapon, not per shot with a template weapon. Could definitely be an oversight, but as written, overwatch still does d3 hits with an assault 12 flamer (example, not a real thing, yet...). This is clearly written in the template weapon rules, though again, could be an oversight due to most template weapons only having a single shot. 

IIRC, GW confirmed that in the Draft FAQ.