paxmiles

Rate the Last Movie You Saw

Megalodon: I felt like another giant shark movie after The Meg. Much lower budget (SyFy, I believe) and the effects aren't nearly as cool, but it still hit the spot. Also got me wanting to re-read The Abyss Surrounds Us and Into the Drowning Deep.

28 Days Later: Much, much better than the sequel was. For some reason, tho, I haven't like Cillian Murphy in any role I've seen him in other than the Scarecrow, and this was no exception.

Candyman: I needed something a little different after finishing ASoUE. I hadn't realized this was a Clive Barker flick, but it's definitely right in his style. Got that odd thing going that happens with so much of his stuff, where when you really start thinking about it, it starts to fall apart, but while you're in the middle of it, it works perfectly. Also some serious early 90s aesthetic there. Flashback city. Apparently Jordan Peele is working on a remake/sequel, which seems like it will probably be pretty awesome.

Lando: A Star Wars Story: Someone at Netflix apparently screwed up or something, because it's labeled as "Solo" on there, which is clearly incorrect 😉 Seriously, for the most part, it's pretty good, but that kid is not Han Solo. He does a solid StarLord, tho.

Super Mario Bros.: This is another where I can totally see both why it was such a flop and why it eventually became a cult classic. The plot ranges from nonsensical to non-existent, and a lot of the movie is cheesy and stupid, but the aesthetic is very cool, and pretty much unique, and Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo are really quite good in the title roles once it gets going.

220px-Dirty_moviep.jpg

The Dirty Dozen (1967)

Do I really need to summarize this one? It’s WWII on the eve of D-Day and the U.S. Army tasks Lee Marvin with leading a squad of Expendable Basterds on a suicidal mission to kill Nazis. Needless to say, it’s terribly unrealistic and the anti-hero protagonists commit a couple dozen war crimes... But, hey, this is just an action movie, not a history lesson.

This movie pretty much created the “ragtag commandos” sub genre: Kelly’s Heroes, Where Eagles Dare, The A-Team, The Expendables, Delta Force, Inglorious Basterds, Suicide Squad, and too many Seventies and Eighties B-Movies to name pretty much exist only because of The Dirty Dozen.  

And, of course, Colonel Schaeffer's Last Chancers from Warhammer 40,000.

“Donald Duck's down at the crossroads with a machine gun.”

^^^I've read the book, but never got around to seeing the movie. I'll have to hunt up a copy one of these days.

2036 Origin Unknown: Not nearly as profound as it thinks it is, and it's yet another flick that mis-represents the dangers of power-hungry humans as being inherent dangers of science/technology/exploration. Even Katee Sackhoff couldn't save it.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: I heard a lot of people trashing it back when it first came out, so never bothered until now. I actually found it to be pretty fun. I was particularly surprised by how much I liked Shia LaBeouf's performance. Best part of the flick was Cate Blanchett's cheekbones, tho.

Ocean's 8: Could have been gayer, but still a damn good heist flick.

A few more recent random flicks with something of note:

• The Invisible Man: The original one, from the 30s. Very good for something of that vintage. There are a few parts that are a little shaky, and/or have aged badly, but most of it holds up quite well, and the special effects are very impressive considering the time.
  • Ghost Ship: Roger Ebert called it "better than you expect but not as good as you hope," which is sufficiently apt that I felt I should just quote it here.
  • The Black Waters of Echo's Pond: Pretty much completely incoherent, but the Satyr/daemon thing that drives all the action looks like a Verminlord, except more or less human-sized, which was kind of cool.
  • I Know What You Did Last Summer: Better than I expected. It always felt overshadowed by Scream, but the two aren't really comparable. Scream was a deconstruction of slasher flicks, while IKWYDLS was an entirely non-ironic attempt at rejuvenating the genre.

Had a sick day recently and re-watched a couple of shows:

• Avengers: Infinity War - My biggest take away is that I still can't believe that this movie got made.  Seriously, the logistics of having all of those characters in one place is still pretty staggering.
  • The Last Jedi - Still really liked it.  Liked the character arcs and felt like it may be the best acted Star Wars movie.  (Mark Hamill does an amazing job)

13 hours ago, WestRider said:

I Know What You Did Last Summer: Better than I expected. It always felt overshadowed by Scream, but the two aren't really comparable. Scream was a deconstruction of slasher flicks, while IKWYDLS was an entirely non-ironic attempt at rejuvenating the genre.

Well except that Scream was the movie that rejuvenated the genre while deconstructing it. IKWYDLS was one of many, many trendy teen slashers that had nothing more to add but saw the money making potential in it.

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

Well except that Scream was the movie that rejuvenated the genre while deconstructing it. IKWYDLS was one of many, many trendy teen slashers that had nothing more to add but saw the money making potential in it.

Yes and no. The relationships between the two are pretty interesting. IKWYDLS was actually written several years before Scream, and by the same screenwriter. But he couldn't find a studio that would make it until after the success of Scream. And there was never any intention for IKWYDLS to have anything to add. It was always just supposed to be a classic slasher flick, played entirely straight. An homage, rather than the deconstruction of Scream.

4 minutes ago, Ish said:

There will never not be a market for films about horrible things happening to sexy “teenagers” played by 27 year olds.

Jennifer Love Hewitt was actually 18 when that was filmed, and Sarah Michelle Gellar was only 20. Certainly much closer than SMG getting cast as 15 year old Buffy Summers at roughly the same time.

11 hours ago, Ish said:

I was making a broadly dismissive statement of derision against the entire genre. I’m sure there are probably good slasher flicks, in theory, but it’s undeniable that there are a lot more of the cruddy ones.

Can't argue there. IKWYDLS is, while not the best, certainly well above the bulk of them. Anyhow

It! The Terror from Beyond Space: Somewhat disappointing. Not so much in quality, that was about where I expected, but the title had me expecting some sort of formless cosmic horror, not just a Martian. The design of the spaceship was hilariously unrealistic and inefficient as expected. They even brought a stewardess along, and they were all smoking on the ship.

The Avengers: No, not the those Avengers, the other ones. Steed and Peel, the flick from '98. That was pretty bad. I'm not sure I would go so far as to put it in a list of all time worst movies, but it was bad. That said, if you really want to see Uma Thurman fight a teddy bear, there aren't a whole lot of other options that I'm aware of. Also, they did make excellent use of the one swear allowed without breaking the PG-13 limit.

Edit, one more: X The Unknown: That was more like it. A semi-sequel to The Quatermass Experiment. Weird creepy monster, nice suspense, plenty of 50s bs technobabble, ridiculously extra soundtrack, all that sort of thing. Also, it's set and filmed near Glasgow, so some of the characters have really cool accents, too.

The Removed, aka After Effect, aka The Infected, aka Patient Z: The Infected, aka Just Pick a Name and Stick With It: Pretty good horror flick. Follows a couple of college students and the people they meet when they sign up for a medical experiment that pays $1000 for a couple of days. Things progress pretty quickly from odd to unsettling to downright creepy, and then to 28 Days Later-style "zombies". I feel like it maybe could have used a little more build-up time, and maybe a couple more characters basically just to add some more chaos and confusion to the chunks where everyone's trying to figure out what's happening.

Shadow of the Missing: Another for the "cool concept, poor execution" pile. Documentary-style found footage horror film, with the found footage interspersed with interview clips with friends of the people who shot the footage and segments of a local priest and historian (the action takes place in an old abandoned church) providing commentary and attempted explanations. Like I said, I think  the idea and the basic structure have potential, but the pacing is just way off here, with no real tension building up, and none of the characters are engaging enough to keep it going.

Paths of Glory one of Stanley Kubrick’s earliest films (and in my opinion, one of his best). Kirk Douglas delivers an amazing performance.

There aren’t very many films about WWI and even fewer where the focus is on the French, with nary an American doughboy in sight. 

Highly recommended.