T9A Portland/Vancouver Meetup thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Anyone planning on heading to DA this weekend?

I have a new comer to the T9A scene. We played his first game last weekend, and it piqued his interest. He wanted to come by some time when we had a couple concurrent games going on to see what the other armies looked like, and how the other books played. For someone brand new to tabletop, he made a lot of pretty smart choices and asked a lot of very advanced questions, perhaps he is the Kwisatz Haderach of T9A?

1 hour ago, TheBeninator said:

Anyone planning on heading to DA this weekend?

I have a new comer to the T9A scene. We played his first game last weekend, and it piqued his interest. He wanted to come by some time when we had a couple concurrent games going on to see what the other armies looked like, and how the other books played. For someone brand new to tabletop, he made a lot of pretty smart choices and asked a lot of very advanced questions, perhaps he is the Kwisatz Haderach of T9A?

I have a funeral tomorrow (Thursday). After everything that's gone on this last weekend and this week, I'm sure I'll take this weekend for some recovery time. I'm always keen to meet new players though; I'll do my best to be there next weekend (the 14th?).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Orson said:

Anyone in the Portland area up for a game this Friday? I managed to scrounge up enough Empire for 4500 points and want to give it a whirl.

Orson, I'm not available unfortunately, but like Beninator mentioned, we do have a Google Groups for 9th Age if you want to post on there as well to find a game. If you drop me an email ( andrewgeddon@gmail.com ), I'll get you added to it. There is also a Facebook group, 9th Age - Northwest, that I moderate. It's not super active with people looking for games, but just some other places to post if you're looking for a game. I know we have several 9th Age players that aren't very active here on Ordo.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you again @valourunbound for the great game last weekend. It was down to the wire, certainly! And in true skaven fashion, your utter disreguard for your soldier's lives (hand of god or whatever) helped me clench the victory 😄

Here is the highlight recap!

End of SA Turn 1: Cornered like a rat! Feeling good about this. My Taurasaur has the engine of the ancients providing a 5+ aegis bubble against shooting. Both the Templeguard and the Carnosaur are also Hard Target! Cuatl is built to shut his caster down.

Also, 3 salamanders. So ya, this is gonna get messy

IMG_1037.jpg

Turn 2 SA: As the Taurasuar next to the general is blown into 1000 pieces on VS Turn 1, the general (a mage apprentice), and his trusty steed (also a mage apprentice) commit to the charge! But fail....

IMG_1044.jpg

T3 SA:

The general "tactically retreats" behind the hill after suffering 5 of his 6 wounds. He and his trusty carnosaur turn to the camera and pronounce "Run! They have cannons!!!", his steed agrees. This was the last we heard from him for not too long after some sneaky rats brought down the great general with a little poisoned sling rock. I mean common... a poisoned rock? Puh!

Meanwhile the rest of the SA have marched up, but not engaged, taking heavy losses from all sorts of vermin firepower. Only the Cuatl is able to make progress with some clutch spell casting. Also, a comet in the sky begins to descend into the Saurian ranks, uh oh...

IMG_1049.jpg

SA or VS T4 or so...

The comet hits! Just prior, some sneaky band of rats had made their way into my deployment zone (the scoring objective). Luckily, my opponent rolled like a champ, and obliterated that unit of rats for me, there is the lone survivor running away. I lost 4 skinks for his troubles :D.

IMG_1053.jpg

End of Game: After making a mad dash into the rat nest I was able to clench the secondary objective. In the top right, you can see a movement tray, that was the 8 Saurus warriors left of the 22 lizard unit (which only ever fought 1 battle against 10 rats) walking away from the arc of the Stormvermin. The Ramphadons plowed through both artillery with devastating power (both artillery had prey scent), yielding like 12 wounds on each!

The only other real combat in the game occurred on the very last turn, and it was a near wipe out of the SA! Fortunately, rules, order of operations, and slightly different initiative steps allowed my Cuatl to take the place of his fallen guard, and thus forces his blender of a BSB to attack the Cuatl (who is a big meaty frog with an aegis) instead of the crumbly Temple guard unit. I dont know how much I lost by (probably like 10-15), but I was stubborn due to the Temple guard!!! This saved probably 30-40% of my points, and provided me a second unit in the deployment zone (though I only needed 1). 

IMG_1058.jpg

In the end, the vermin swarm blasted apart the majority of my army, though I was fortunate to not lose the Cuatl. The Raphadons scored a bunch of points through the 2 artillery kills bringing the final points difference to somewhere around 850 in favor of the VS. Though, thanks to the secondary objective, this became a minor SA victory at 11-9. If there had been a turn 7, it would have been a VERY ugly game for the SA.

In the end the Taurasaur absorbed bullets

The General with Carnosaur absorbed bullets

The Saurus warriors absorbed bullets (and killed 10 rats, ez life)

The skinks + Camian absorbed bullets

The templeguard absorbed bullets, and remained stubborn

2 of 3 Salamanders absorbed bullets

1 salamander misfired, somehow lived to see another turn, got to shoot at the VS! Then absorbed bullets....

The ramphadons were bosses, and smashed rat face

The cuatl carried the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...