T9A Portland/Vancouver Meetup thread

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, time for a little battle report!

This battle was my dwarves vs. John's rats. I brought something I typically never do, an all vanguard list. Descriptions are under the pictures, and I did not take a great catalog of everything that happened, but.... Here we go!

W9Zzc7r.jpg

This is after the first turn post deployment. Basically, I dropped everything for first turn, putting all my blocks right on the line. I then vangarded 12" forward. And then marched 9" forward with everything but the hold guardians. This picture is after all of that.

kPzVeo4.jpg

My battle-line. 

King has 3x lightning runes, 2x shielding, and a breath weapon

Seeker hero has 2 fury and 1 quickening, so he is like agility 8 with 8 attacks or something silly.

ZkOvZ1L.jpg

This is after John's first turn. He moved rats up to chaff, killed some KG with his catapult. Shot at the HG with his Jezzies, and I think failed a bunch of magic spells (magic was not with John this game). 

Arrows show my turn 2 charges

YAJZlhF.jpg

Obviously I make all those charges.

I run all my rifles and Xbows up as they have nothing to shoot but the catapult.

jbVfaJw.jpg

Looks like I got 2 runes off on my HG (-1 to wound & distracting)

I obviously blast through the chaff and overrun everywhere. Greybeards make it into his big brick (which I was hoping they would fall short of). 

HG do not pursue fleeing plague disciples but instead turn to face the ogres.

9E2ZNxX.jpg

The empire (John) strikes back with a charge into the KG, he rallies the remaining disciples and decides to just shoot with his ogres. Again, shooting and magic were pretty ineffective. Rolls were just underwhelming, and the HG were pretty buffed up.

82dnNyr.jpg

Still John's turn. He broke the Greybeards first, chased but they got away (quick little turds they are), but that had him BAAAARRRELY clip the KG, so he got to charge and fight again! Seekers mop up the chaff they were stuck in and rotate. Here is the layout, and all the nasties that John has in his list.

pleOj9K.jpg

Still John's turn, we go to the KG combat. First order of business, is the plague priest, maybe kills a KG. Then the assassin who throws his lot in against the king. Does 1 wound after saves.

Finally the doomblade throws his dirt. 2 hits, 1 wound, does not save. MW d6, gets a 5

Aaaaaand POOF - Dead king.

We discuss options for me at this point as that, really, freaking, sucks. KG are no longer stubborn. Could have just cut into rank and file and MAYBE drawn a tie, but instead I figure id just punch back at his characters, as they are really his heavy lifters. I kill his doomblade, plague priest, and put 2 wounds on the assassin. Not bad! 

But, after all the dust settles, I still lost by 6. That's Kings guard, Dis 9, minus 6, to a 3.

Ia8kk1s.jpg

YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!!!!

epic... This was basically the roll I should have failed that would have made the game go a very different direction.

PQTedL9.jpg

On my turn I pull a crap magic card...

x1TqQN0.jpg

But I still get 2 runes off 😂. Yeah, the dice gods were not having it with rats today.

Crossbows finally contribute to the game and pile in on the very end!

POMq4Ph.jpg

Crossbows fail to do a damned thing, but we pulverize enough rats to win combat by ALOT. Finish off the assassin, put a couple wounds on the wizard. On the discipline check his RAA fail and run off the board.

HG finish off the flails and overrun into Jezzies.

I don't have any more pictures, but next turn John moves ogres forward to shoot at KG, and puts everything he has into trying to wipe out the unit. I don't think he got the unit, but he did ensure a decimation. At that point we called the game. After killing the jezzies my HG were going to turn around, and it'd be my turn to charge his ogres in the flank. All he had left were more jezzies, the storm vermin who were way outclassed against seekers, and the catapult.

Conclusions:

1) I got lucky

2) John got unlucky

3) List parity was WAY in my favor

4) I still hate the doomblade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't read it all yet, but you know, I was there.

I figured it out, it was all the giant rats' fault. If they weren't in my way you wouldn't have been able to get so close without being threatened by my blocks. I may have ran the whole thing in UB one evening, at least from your vanguard on. 

One day I'll figure out how to run this list. The world needs more Doomrants 🙂

38 minutes ago, valourunbound said:

I haven't read it all yet, but you know, I was there.

I figured it out, it was all the giant rats' fault. If they weren't in my way you wouldn't have been able to get so close without being threatened by my blocks. I may have ran the whole thing in UB one evening, at least from your vanguard on. 

One day I'll figure out how to run this list. The world needs more Doomrants 🙂

There is a BSB in there somewhere too ya?

Im guessing it was in the SV block?

Interestingly, the only other game I ever had a big win on you was when we played UB and I took an all vanguard list.

Or at least a full block of KG. KG are crazy good

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 4:05 PM, Andrewgeddon said:

Meeting up at Guardian Games around noon for a game tomorrow (Sunday). Just two of us, but if there's more people interested I'll see about getting a couple tables reserved 😎

Missed this post, should have come. Would be nice to see people playing this one in person.

4 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

This actually didn't happen; I've been wrestling with a nasty cold for like 2 weeks (most likely bronchitis), and I ended up having to cancel. I'll be sure to post on here the next time we meet up though. 

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I've signed up for March to War, but I've never played 9th Age. I'd like to try and at least get one game in before lists are due and maybe another one before the tournament. Weekends are kind of hard because of kids events, etc. but may be able to make things work next weekend on Sunday or the 29th  of February. Week nights can be a lot easier as I work downtown Portland. I can go to a place like guardian games which is close to work and house or possible somewhere else on the weekends. I would also like to just meet people around town who are playing the game now that I've moved and settled in Portland. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rhuell said:

Hi Guys, I've signed up for March to War, but I've never played 9th Age. I'd like to try and at least get one game in before lists are due and maybe another one before the tournament. Weekends are kind of hard because of kids events, etc. but may be able to make things work next weekend on Sunday or the 29th  of February. Week nights can be a lot easier as I work downtown Portland. I can go to a place like guardian games which is close to work and house or possible somewhere else on the weekends. I would also like to just meet people around town who are playing the game now that I've moved and settled in Portland. 

Is week day early afternoon a thing you can do? Mostly just Monday and Thursday for this season of the year.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, BenKerr said:

Anyone want to play on Saturday the 22nd? I am looking to get a few games in, 2 or 3 if I have the time. Might see if Josh wants to come down with me. Can meet up at Dice Age or Guardian Games, doesnt really matter. 

Hey Ben, I forgot to reply to this ages ago. I’m available if you still plan on coming down. There is a chance I’ll also be available on the weekend if the 29th, but that is up in the air 

On 2/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, Rhuell said:

I can usually play on weekdays. I also work downtown so Guardian works for me. If nothing else we could meet up for a drink, or introduce you to the clubhouse if you have not been there yet.

welcome to portland!

On 2/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, BenKerr said:

Anyone want to play on Saturday the 22nd? I am looking to get a few games in, 2 or 3 if I have the time. Might see if Josh wants to come down with me. Can meet up at Dice Age or Guardian Games, doesnt really matter. 

I'm also on a delayed response, sorry Ben! I'll most likely have to miss out on Saturday, as I'm probably playing Sunday for the escalation league. 

On 2/16/2020 at 12:58 PM, Rhuell said:

Welcome to Portland! My availability sucks during the week, due to work / kid, but I think a few of us will be a the WoW clubhouse this weekend (Sunday) for escalation league games, if you were looking to pop in and say hello!

On 2/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, Rhuell said:

Hi All, is anyone available this Sunday for a game of 9th age (4500 pts) in the Portland area? I am near Guardian Games, but I could meet somewhere else, even pop in to see the WOW clubhouse if a game was available. Just trying to get one game under my belt before March to War

I could get a game in on Sunday. I’ll probably try to pair you against someone else and just be there for rules help. But if all else fails, I’ll overrun you with a swarm of skinks