Warhamster Autumn Mordheim Campaign

Koyote

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

A couple of pit fighter specific questions: 

1) would a pursuer equipped with trident and buckler benefit from either the +1 armor save house rule for this campaign or the re-rollable parry from having 2 different parry sources?

2) what critical hit table should I roll on for spiked gauntlets, blade or bludgeon? 

1) The Pursuer gets both advantages.  Under the standard rules being armed with a parry weapon and a buckler gives the model a re-rollable parry.  Under the campaign specific rules, a model equipped with a buckler and either a sword, axe, hammer, or spear (a trident is close enough), then the model receives a +1 to its armor save.

2) An argument could be made for both, but because GW so loves to draw and model spiked gauntlets ending in a massive blade, I will say 'bladed'.

oK4Yyi.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guest Barticus said:

How do I sign up for the campaign?

Download the packets, print the warband roster, assemble your warband, and show up at Dark Tower next Tuesday.  I’ll be there shortly after 5. Most people show up between 6 and 7.

What warband do you play?

48 minutes ago, smashthedean said:

I have decided that I'm going to run Undead instead of Beastmen Raiders... Beastmen are so good, but I feel like I have to break out my painted Undead models since we're in Sylvania and all.

That's awesome. Given the setting, it seems fitting that at least one player plays Undead.

For the purpose of this campaign your Undead warband will not be native to the region, so the rules in the Sylvania Setting Packet  (e.g. Distrust) apply to your warband.

Is it just me or does this Carpetbagger vampire, headed south to Sylvania, look like a certain salt loving Warhamster we know?  :happy:

gYM5hS.png

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 10:14 PM, Koyote said:

You sir are down, but not (necessarily) out.  Showing up for Campaign Nights is not a requirement.  This campaign's schedule is designed to provide its player with quite a bit of flexibility.  It's two games per month for four months.  Since Dark Tower closes at 10 pm on Tuesdays, very few players will have enough time to play both of their games for the month on Campaign Night.  As such, most, if not all of the participants will be looking for games at other times during the month. 

If you can find time in our schedule for two games per month you can participate in the campaign. 

BTW, love your gobbos.  1534797201.7229-smiley.gif

So took this to heart and I've been trying to find time to even familiarize myself with the rules... this has not gone well so far. We shall see what this week brings and reevaluate...

Just a reminder, each scenario will include, at minimum, D6+1 zombies (See Roaming Dead rules in the Sylvania Settings Packet), so don't forget to bring some zombie minis (or proxies) with you.  These minis need not be painted or even war-gaming miniatures.  For example, unpainted zombies from Zombicide or Zombicide Black Plague board games will work just fine.  Skeletons, ghouls, or any other man sized 28mm will suffice as zombie proxies.

If I remember, I will bring extras.

XMXB8b.png

Sherbert texted me some questions that others may find useful.

Q: Can a Warband start with rare items?

A:  Starting warbands can purchase only equipment from their Warband’s equipment list. However, due to our unusual campaign setting rules, starting warbands may purchase torches and lanterns (at the reduced cost found in the campaign rules).

Q: Do torches or lanterns require a ‘free hand’ to use?

A:  No. To keep things simple, if a model needs both hands to fight or shoot, it either drops or sets down its torch or lantern. Before moving on again, the model retreives it’s light source.

Note that a torch can be used as club (-1 to hit, causes fear in animals, and prevents regeneration - see Empire in Flames p.16). If a player wants to use a torch as a weapon the model must equip the torch in a free hand.

Ahhaaa The blood runs cold.

We take our loot but don't get old!

Ahhhh ahhhh o' ahhhh ahhh!

Yo ,yo-ho, yo, yo-ho

Oh Hail the mighty Manaan, he's arisin' from the deep!

With tattered sails and incredible tales, We're caught'n endless seas!

These Tilean Privateers (Pirates) are making sail to a ruined City of Mordheim near you!

Pirates.jpg

• Like 2

Those are some great looking warbands.  I can't wait to see them on the table.

I don't know if you two planned it this way, but your backstories work well together, the pursuers and the pursued.  Which warband will prevail, the pirates or the pit slaves?

qvPyLC.gift0pBgM.gif

While on the topic of nemesis warbands, Sherbert is using a vampire hunter miniature for his leader (works perfect for games in Sylvania) and Kasey has decided to change his warband from Beastmen to Undead.   That'd be a fun match up.

For years and years, the backstory for my Kislevite warband has been the same.  Part of that story is my leader's enmity for Ostlanders, so there's no doubt that my Kislevites will be gunning for Joey's Ostlanders. 

OCTOBER CAMPAIGN SCENARIOS

Since the campaign includes some novices and participants who haven't played Mordheim in years, I decided to start things off simple.  This month we will play two basic scenarios from the Mordheim rulebook.

Scenario #1: Wyrdstone Hunt

This scenario can be found on page 87 of the Mordheim rulebook.  This scenario will be subject to all of the scenario rules found in the Sylvania Settings Rule Packet.  As per item #19 in the Mordheim Campaign Packet, if both players agree,  the Random Happenings rules may be used (SEE Town Cryer #3, the 2002 Mordheim Annual, or downloads page of the Broheim website).

Additionally, instead of rolling for the number of wyrdstone (treasure) counters, the players will place 5 counters on the board.

Scenario #2: Chance Encounter

This scenario can be found on page 89 of the Mordheim rulebook.  This scenario will be subject to all of the scenario rules found in the Sylvania Settings Rule Packet.  As per item #19 in the Mordheim Campaign Packet, if both players agree,  the Random Happenings rules may be used (SEE Town Cryer #3, the 2002 Mordheim Annual, or the downloads page of the Broheim website).

Additionally, instead of rolling for the number of wyrdstone (treasure) counters carried by the warbands, each warband will begin the game carrying 3 counters.

On 10/9/2018 at 4:16 PM, JMGraham said:

Do Hired Swords count their warband rating increase in addition to, or instead of the base 5 per model?

This is a good question.  The rule book doesn't answer this question directly, but it does provide some clues.  On page 116 of the rule book it states that calculating a warband's rating involves multiplying the number of warriors in the warband by 5. The next paragraph states that large creatures are worth 20 points plus its xps. My reading of the two paragraphs together is that large creatures are not included in the 'warriors-times-five' calculation.  This treatment of large creatures combined with the fact that the rules for each Hired Sword indicates by how much that Hired Sword increases a warband's rating, suggests to me that like large creatures, Hired Swords are not included in the 'warriors-times-five' calculation.

So... My answer to your question is "instead of".  😁

Remember, there a number of campaign packet and setting packet rules that affect your warband's post-battle sequence/activities.

These include the Distrust and Land of Little rules found in the setting packet.  Additionally, item #10 in the campaign packet permits players to purchase items from the Opulent Goods and Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe articles.  Item #10 also states that during this campaign, the cost and rarity of Lucky Charms and Rabbit's Feet have been increased, while the cost of lanterns and torches has been decreased.  Lastly, item #19 in the campaign packet states that warbands may avail themselves of the Sawbones rules, so if you're feeling lucky and you have the gold crowns to spare, you can attempt to heal your heroes' injuries.

HrhzWv.png

• Like 1

Tuesday night, 7 out of 15 (potential) players showed up and, I hope, had a good time.

If you weren't able to make it, don't worry.  As I've mentioned before, it's two game per month so you have lots of time to play those games and (hopefully), lots of people to play those games with. Games can be played anywhere at any time.  The only caveat is that you must play against another campaign participant. 

I will be at DT next Tuesday (Oct 16) with my Mordheim stuff, including the unclaimed Sylvanian Guide models, so if you need a game, I'll be there.

RINGERS: If you've played both games for the month and someone needs a game, you should feel free to play them as a 'ringer'.  In a Ringer match, the ringer warband doesn't gain or lose anything from the scenario.  For the ringer player's warband, it's as if the the game never happened. 

SECOND WARBANDs: If you are a Mordheim diehard who just can't get enough of the game, please feel free to create and play with a second warband.  In our last campaign I ran my Averlanders and a Dark Elf warband.  The Averlanders were my primary warband, but when I encountered someone who needed a make-up game, I'd offer to play them with my Dark Elves.  My Dark Elves didn't get a lot of games, but it was fun when they did.

So, how did everyone's games go?  I played against Brenden's Dwarf Treasure Hunters.  I won the game (Brenden voluntarily bottled after his Noble and 2 Slayers were taken out), but the dwarves escaped with more treasure (wyrdstone) counters than I did.  Dwarves may be short and slow, but they are a devious folk, so watch out for them!

My MVP of the game was, ironically, one of my Youths.  Natasha took three models out-of-action with her hammer and dagger: a zombie, a Dwarf Warrior, and a Dwarf Slayer.  She took the Slayer out-of-action by rolling a crit with her dagger (2 wounds +2 to injury roll).  The Slayer had a full recovery, but the Dwarf Warrior died from his wounds.  In return, the Dwarves took out Sergeant Ludvig and one of my Cossacks.  Ludvig will live, but the poor Cossack is now riding across the grassy Ungol plains in the afterlife.

Most of the game was a ridiculous slap fight in which Brenden and I couldn't roll much higher than a 2.

In post game I rolled 5 exploration dice (4 Heroes + the Beggar).  Three of those dice were sixes, so Captain Yuri ended up testifying on behalf of an old friend who was accused of being a vampire.  Yuri passed his leadership test, so his friend was set free and Yuri was rewarded with 1 XP and D3 treasures.  I traded in all but two of my warband's treasures for enough gold crowns to replace my dead Cossack and recruit a Witch Hunter hired sword.  Why a Witch Hunter?  Well, not only does it seem to appropriate for the setting, but I have a cool witch hunter model that I really want to paint.

Per the campaign rules, all heroes that begin the campaign with XPs get one free roll on the advance table.  This, I feel, gives these heroes a bit more character going into the campaign.  My Bear Tamer's 'free' advance roll provided him with a second wound.  During the game he earned 1 XP for taking out a zombie and 1 XP for surviving. This gave him a second advance roll, which resulted in another additional wound.  Crazy.  After my first game I have a hero with 3 wounds.  He shall now be known as Oleg 'Ironside'.

OLEG... OLEG... OLEG...

GGZ3lH.png

Could not make opening night but I plan to be there next week and participate in the festivities.

2 hours ago, Koyote said:

The only caveat is that you must play against another campaign participant. 

Curious about this; if I were to get someone blooded in the first month would they be a particpant henceforth, or are we locked in to the 15 interested initially? The limit on free Syvkanian Guides is understood, of course.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.