Warhamster Autumn Mordheim Campaign

Koyote

Welcome to the Dark Tower 2018 Autumn Mordheim Campaign

The campaign begins on Tuesday, October 9th.  Thereafter, Mordheim Campaign Night will be the second Tuesday of each month.  The campaign will end on January 31st, 2019.  In February I will organize a final, 4-way game to decide the campaign's overall winner.

Each warband is permitted to play up to 2 games per month (8 games in total).  The two campaign scenarios for the current month will be announced (and posted) at that month's Mordheim Campaign Night.   In theory, players will play at least one campaign scenario during the Mordheim Campaign Night, and then since many of the campaign participants will be there, players will then have the opportunity to schedule their second game for later in the month.  Warbands that fall behind are free to play make-up games at any time during the campaign.

In keeping with the spirit of the Autumn season, the campaign will be set in the benighted County of Sylvania.  This setting not only shakes things up a bit, but it helps us with our terrain problem.  Based upon available terrain, players can play their scenarios in abandoned towns, gloomy hamlets, or in Sylvania's dark forests and wilderness. 

Attached to this post are two documents, the Mordheim Campaign Packet and the Sylvania Setting Rules Packet.

The Mordheim Campaign Packet includes changes to the general Mordheim rules, campaign rules, and most importantly, the warband campaign roster.  The latter is where you will record your warband's win-loss record, your opponents' names, and campaign point totals. 

The Sylvania Setting Rules Packet contains the rules for playing games in Sylvania, which includes a Sylvania Exploration Chart (the Exploration Chart in the Mordheim rulebook will not be used). These rules are a modified version of the Sylvania campaign rules printed in the Letters of the Damned.  Additionally, I've made some last minute changes to the Sylvania rules, so if you downloaded these rules prior to October 1, please download the version attached to this post.

Because of Sylvania setting rules, I recommend that starting warbands consider purchasing some lanterns and torches (both are common items).  Torches (SEE TC 24) act like lanterns, but are one use items. They cannot be lit mid-scenario, so you must declare during deployment which models are equipped with lit torches.  

Because Sylvania is such a poor county, lanterns may be purchased for 5 gc and torches for 1 gc each.

UKvpW2.png

PDF copies of everything Mordheim:  http://broheim.net/

WARHAMSTER MORDHEIM CAMPAIGN PAINTING RAFFLE

Each player is free to experience the campaign in their own way, but I think that most would agree that games involving two fully painted warbands can improve both player's gaming experience (plus these games are fun to photograph and post online). 

Da Roolz:

To encourage players to put some paint on their warbands, I will  hold a raffle for campaign participants who have a fully painted qualifying warband as of January 1st, 2019 (our fourth and final Campaign Game Night).  The campaign ends on January 31st, so you will have another month to show off your painted warband to other players.

You enter your warband into the raffle by showing me your warband and roster, in person, on January 1st or by sending a photo of your warband and roster to me via Ordo's Private Message system or my cell (425-330-6079) between December 26, 2018 and January 1st, 2019.

A " qualifying warband" is a Mordheim warband that: (1) belongs to a campaign participant;  and (2) has been involved in 6 campaign games by the end of the third campaign month (December 31, 2018).  To be "fully painted", a qualifying warband  must have each model on its roster represented by a painted model.  A model is considered painted if it meets the standard tournament '3-color minimum' requirement.

All eligible participants will have their names put into the Mordheim SKULL OF DOOM and the winner determined by random draw on January 2nd(ish). I will not be eligible to participate in this raffle.

The winner will receive a $25 Dark Tower Gift Certificate.

One of the great things about Mordheim, is that it lets players repurpose miniatures from other tabletop wargames, but I want this raffle to encourage and reward players who paint a new warbands for this campaign.  As such, if at least 50% of your qualifying warband was painted expressly for this campaign, two scraps of paper with your name on them will go into the Mordheim SKULL OF DOOM.

SERIOUS INJURY ROLLS

A month in the benighted county of Sylvannia has culled the weakest members of each warband, leaving behind a core of hardened fighters.  As such, starting with Scenario #3 (which will be announced the week of November 13th), your warband(s) will be subject to the following rule modifications.

The Henchmen With Serious Injuries rule (p.79 of main rulebook) shall be modified by adding the following paragraph:

If,  during any Post Battle Sequence, a Henchman is permanently removed from the roster sheet by a D6 roll of 1 or 2, then each subsequent roll for Henchmen taken out-of-action receives a +1 bonus to the die roll (a modified die result of 7 is treated as a 6).  Thus, after your first Henchman "dies",  any remaining Henchmen casualties are permanently removed on a D6 roll of 1, rather than a D6 roll of 1 or 2.  The warband receives this bonus until the end of the current Post Battle Sequence. 

The Heroes With Serious Injuries rule (p.79 of main rulebook) shall be modified by adding the following paragraphs:

If your Leader was taken out-of-action then it must be the first hero to roll on the Heroes Serious Injury Chart.  A player may roll for any additional heroes taken out-of-action in any order the player desires.

If,  during any Post Battle Sequence, a non-Leader Hero rolls an 11-15 result (Dead) on Heroes Serious Injury Chart, then each subsequent roll for Heroes taken out-of-action is modified by adding 10 to the result.  Thus, and unmodified roll of 11 becomes a 21.  A modified result that exceeds 66 is treated as roll of 41-55 (Full Recovery).  The warband receives this bonus until the end of the current Post Battle Sequence. 

5BifWk.png

NEW RULE - EXPLORATION ROLLs:

On page 93 of the Mordheim rulebook, replace the second paragraph under the title rolling multiples with the follow language:

If your exploration roll produces two or more multiples, you receive the benefits of each multiple.  You may not divide a large multiple (e.g. five 2s) into two or more smaller multiples.  For example if a player were to roll four 6s and two 3s, his warband would get both the quadruple 6 encounter and the double 3 encounter.   The player would not be permitted to divide the multiple of four 6s into two multiples of two 6s each. 

Sylvania Setting Rules Packet.pdf

Mordheim Campaign Packet.pdf

• Like 1

I'm definitely down for Mordheim, I'd take my pitfighters this go around. 

I'm not sold on 10 weeks though. Getting this crowd to focus on anything for 2 and a half months can be a challenge. Also not sure how that timeframe works with the runored Infinity late summer league. Perhaps a 10 game limit, but over a shorter period?

I would be interested in a Mordheim campaign. Having had such fun with TNT, which was improved by me being the winner, I am very interested to having another campaign that is warband based and can see my crew grow in strength as the campaign progresses. From the provided warband list, I'm leaning towards one of the Dwarf warbands since I think I could get away with using some of my Dwarf models from Lord of the Rings for my warband. 

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 12:23 AM, Munkie said:

I'm definitely down for Mordheim, I'd take my pitfighters this go around. 

I'm not sold on 10 weeks though. Getting this crowd to focus on anything for 2 and a half months can be a challenge. Also not sure how that timeframe works with the runored Infinity late summer league. Perhaps a 10 game limit, but over a shorter period?

Good input.  How about one game a week for four weeks, followed by a week off, and then another four weeks?

I'm all for it. I'm looking at all the cool, esoteric warbands but might just go for some tried and true Mercenary lads.

Falloff will be inevitable while going for eight games, but probably worth it as any less and we won't be able to see much warband progression. Would it be a dumb idea to play campaign games every other week? This would give a catch up week for some, or a chance to play different games in between, at the expense of doubling the overall campaign time (and running into holiday town) and potentially draining interest. 

Valid concern with the Infinity league, might want to coordinate with Joey as to its timing, as a decent chunk of potential campaigners could be invested there.

1 hour ago, VonVilkee said:

No Night Goblin or Moon Clan grots on the list. I'm not even tempted, if they were there I would probably be down. 

Forest goblins might work but who knows how the list compares to my painted models. 

I’ve included only those warbands that were published by GW or in a GW periodical.

2 hours ago, Koyote said:

I’ve included only those warbands that were published by GW or in a GW periodical.

I don't even know what is out there... I just have lots of night goblins painted and have not played Mordheim since the original book plus the orc band in like a white dwarf or something... hated that list.

@Koyote where could I view the forest goblin list? That might work with my collection. 

26 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

I don't even know what is out there... I just have lots of night goblins painted and have not played Mordheim since the original book plus the orc band in like a white dwarf or something... hated that list.

@Koyote where could I view the forest goblin list? That might work with my collection. 

You can find a link to 'Broheim' in this thread's first post. This website hosts pdf copies of everything Mordheim, both "official" material and fan material.

• Like 1

MOVEMENT

1.            A model equipped with heavy armor and shield does not suffer a -1-movement penalty.  Instead, a model so equipped suffers a -1 initiative penalty.  If a model possesses a skill or ability that negates the ‘-1 movement penalty’ for heavy armor and shield, it instead negates the -1 initiative bonus.

2.            An enemy model within 8” of a dwarf model does not prevent the dwarf model from running.

HAND-TO-HAND COMBAT

3.            If a model is equipped with a shield and either a sword, axe, hammer, or spear, the shield adds +2 to the model’s armor save against melee attacks instead of the standard +1.  With the exception of magical attacks that mimic melee attacks (e.g. the Sword of Rezhebel spell), this benefit does not apply to hits from magic or shooting attacks

4.            If a model is equipped with a buckler and either a sword, axe, hammer, or spear, then in addition to the bucker’s parry rule, it adds +1 to the model’s armor save against melee attacks.  With the exception of magical attacks that mimic melee attacks (e.g. the Sword of Rezhebel spell), this benefit does not apply to hits from magic or shooting attacks.

5.            When a model armed with a double-handed weapon charges it attacks at initiative order; otherwise, the model follows the Always Strikes Last rule.

6.             A warrior armed with two one-handed weapons may make 1 extra attack with the additional weapon. Before rolling the to-hit dice the attacker must declare which weapon is in the model’s ‘off-hand.’ The weapon in the off-hand suffers a -1 to hit penalty. Otherwise, the normal 'Fighting with Two Weapons' rule applies.  If a model so armed has an attack characteristic of 2+ that attack characteristic applies only to the weapon in the model’s primary hand.

WARBAND CREATION

7.            Players may use any of the following 32 warbands:

• Arabian Tomb Raiders (TC 20)
  • Averland Mercenaries (TC 10)
  • Beastmen Raiders (TC 29)
  • Black Orcs (Nemesis Crown)
  • Bretonnian  (TC 08)
  • Carnival of Chaos (TC 27)
  • Clan Pestilens (TC 29)
  • Cult of the Possessed
  • Dark Elves (TC 12)
  • Dwarf Rangers (Nemisis Crown)
  • Dwarf Treasure Hunters (TC 4)
  • Forest Goblins (Nemesis Crown)
  • Gunnery School of Nuln (Nemesis Crown)
  • Hochland Bandits (Nemesis Crown)
  • Horned Hunters (Nemesis Crown)
  • Kislevite (TC 16)
  • Marienburg Mercenaries
  • Middenheim Mercenaries
  • Miragleans Tilieans (TC 14)
  • Orc Mob (TC 6)
  • Ostlander Mercenaries (TC 11)
  • Outlaws of the Stirwood Forest (TC 29)
  • Norse Explorers (TC 13)
  • Pirates (TC 9)
  • Pit Fighters (TC 21)
  • Reikland Mercenaries
  • Remasens Tileans (TC 14)
  • Sisters of Sigmar
  • Skaven
  • Trantios Tileans (TC 14)
  • Undead
  • Witch Hunters

8.            The maximum number of warriors in a Bretonnian or Witch Hunters warband is 15.

9.            During warband creation and normal campaign play, when a warband recruits a Hero (excluding Hired Swords), that has a starting xp value of one or greater, then that Hero begins the campaign with one free advance roll.

EQUIPMENT

10.            In addition to the weapons, armor, and equipment found in the main rulebook and warband specific items, warbands may purchase items found in the Opulent Goods article (TC 2) and the  Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe article (TC 7), subject to the following changes:

o   Lucky Charm costs 15 gc and is Rare 7

o   Rabbit’s Foot costs 20 gc and is Rare 8

PSYCHOLOGY

11.            A player may not elect to voluntarily Rout until at least one-third (always rounded up) of her/his warband has been taken out of action.

HIRED-SWORDS

12.            Warbands may not hire Dramatis Personae.

13.            A player may recruit one hired-sword during warband creation. The player is free to select from any of the hired-swords available to the player’s warband. 

14.            A warband may recruit additional hired-swords during any Post Battle Sequence by first declaring the type of hire-sword to be recruited and then rolling a d6 (a ‘Recruitment Test’).   On a result of 5 or 6, the warband has located the desired hired sword.  On a result of 1 to 4, the warband failed to find the desired hired sword and cannot search again for that type of hired-sword until the next Post-Battle Sequence.  Failing a Recruitment Test does not prevent a warband from making multiple tests in the current Post Battle Sequence, so long as each attempt is directed at a different type of hired-sword.  A warband may spend 10 gc to get a +1 to all of its Recruitment Tests for the current campaign phase.

15.            The following hired-swords will be recruited during the campaign:

• Arabian Merchant (TC 13)
  • Bard (TC 13)
  • Beasthunter (TC 28)
  • Black Orc Overseer (Nemesis Crown)
  • Bounty Hunter (TC 13)
  • Clan Skyre Rat Ogre (TC 25)
  • Dark Elf Assassin (TC 12)
  • Duelist (TC 13)
  • Dwarf Pathfinder (Nemesis Crown)
  • Dwarf Troll Slayer
  • Elf Ranger
  • Freelancer
  • Halfling Scout
  • Highwayman (TC 26)
  • Human Scout (Nemesis Crown)
  • Imperial Assassin (TC 6)
  • Kislve Ranger (Fanatic 6)
  • Merchant (TC 22)
  • Norse Shaman (TC 12)
  • Ogre Bodyguard
  • Old Prospector (Nemesis Crown)
  • Pit Fighter
  • Priest of Morr (TC 12)
  • Roadwarden (TC 26)
  • Runesmith Journeyman (Nemesis Crown)
  • Shadow Warrior (TC 13)
  • Tilean Marksman (TC 6)
  • Warlock
  • Warrior Priest of Sigmar (TC 28)
  • Witch (TC 13)
  • Witch Hunter (Nemesis Crown)
  • Wolf Priest of Ultric (TC 08)

POST BATTLE SEQUENCE

16.            When rolling for Injuries during the Post Battle Sequence, a hero equipped with armor may make an armor save (no shield bonus) to ignore the results 11-35 on the injury table.

17.            When rolling for Injuries during the Post Battle Sequence, Hired Swords and multi-wound Henchmen follow the ‘Heroes With Serious Injuries’ rules.

18.            Leaders treat a ‘11-15’ result on the Heroes Injury Chart as a ‘16-21’ result.

19.            The following optional rules will be used during the campaign:

o   Weapon specific critical hit tables (main rulebook)

o   Blazing Saddles (TC 14 -replaces Mounted rules in main rulebook)

o   Sawbones (TC 28 )

o   Random Happenings (TC 3 – only if both players agree)

On 7/16/2018 at 8:06 AM, Koyote said:

Good input.  How about one game a week for four weeks, followed by a week off, and then another four weeks?

I'm not sure that a 9 week campaign is much more appealing than a 10 week one, but I can't speak for anyone beyond myself. 

Perhaps a poll is in order?

34 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I'm not sure that a 9 week campaign is much more appealing than a 10 week one, but I can't speak for anyone beyond myself. 

Perhaps a poll is in order?

Anyone who wants to participate is certainly free to play for as long as they want and then cut bait.

I was planning on running an infinity league in late August. If people would prefer to play Mordheim at the moment then I can postpone my league. As far as time goes I almost certainly won't play 9 weeks worth. I like the idea of a shorter campaign followed by an open league. Perhaps we should make a poll asking what people are feeling most at the moment?

The problem with a short campaign plus open league is that in my experience, the open league component doesn't happen.  Once the organized component ends, so does all play. 

The most appealing part of campaigns involving warbands that can grow and develop, like TNT & Mordheim, is experiencing the warband's evolution.  IMHO, 6 games is not enough time to see much growth.

A while back Jim Graham proposed holding a monthly campaign night and then stretching that campaign out over the course of several months.  This provides players with their monthly Mordheim fix and the freedom to participate in other activities.  For those who use campaigns as motivation to paint a warband, this would give them more time to do so.  It also gives players more time to get in any catch-up games. 

We could play 2 games a month during the months of October, November, December, and January.  The first Tuesday of each of those months would be the official campaign night.  On that day, I will announce the two scenarios for that month.  In theory, players will each get through at least one scenario that night and then since many of the campaign participants will be there, players will then have the opportunity to find another opponent and schedule their second game.

@VonVilkee, I suspect that your posts were half-hearted trolling (pardon the pun), but if you really want to play Night Goblins, that'd be fine. 

pPT5Zj.png

• Like 1

They were not trolling, I only use goblins and squiggly beasts! Love them and they are painted, had not used them in years till a game of age of sigmar as moon clan. Oh how I had forgotten the looney fun to be had. Thank you for considering me in the war band choice. I saw a couple of night goblin lists on that website. Which do you think would be best suited to this campaign and any changes you would like to make?

I like basic warriors and squigs I'd be happy to avoid fanatics unless you think it would add to the fun. Haven't played enough mordheim to have a gauge. 

Feel free to play the Night Goblin Warband found on the Broheim website. 

I see no reason to place any restrictions on the list, so feel free to use it as-is, fanatics, troll, and all.

Sigurd is planning to play dwarves, so the addition of Night Goblins to the campaign will give each of you a fitting nemesis.

yBnrTJ.png

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.