Tyranids are here!

pretre

Tervigons no longer give poison or adrenal to termagants, their spawns no longer get to move or assault, counter assault now keys off of base gant leadership and they kill gaunt broods out to 12" when they die.  Not to mention the overall price increase to 195 and the 30 gant tax.  Or how gants for scoring are pretty negatively affected by IB.

Knowing how little tervigons synergize with termagants now and how much faster and cheaper hormagaunts are, I am surprised people still cling to the old ways.  Tervigons and gants will still be effective but they are not (in my early estimation) so far head and shoulders above the other troop choices any longer.

Mike Brandt did a great job of explaining all the points from the rumors on a unit by unit basis.  It's Mike Brandt, so it's a wall of text that may crit you into a coma, but it's worth the read.  I'll only post the link because of the length.

http://whiskey40k.blogspot.com/2014/01/tyranids-early-reaction-from-long-time.html?showComment=1389294341345#c5312070433982064917

• Like 1

The good news is that since tervigons aren't as good as they used to be, at the present, it doesn't appear that there is any specific monobuild. 

Time will tell.  

I'm still pretty bummed that most of the 3 wound nids remained T4.  I REALLY wish they'd upped them to T5.  

The real big bonus is now that both the SM dex and the Nid dex aren't super powerful we can hear less about codex creep!  HOORAY!

I agree with a lot of what he says and maybe in the east coast meta he is spot on.  For me I think he dismisses some considerations like hormagants and warriors.

Warriors since the 5ed dex have been decent deck chairs, you just didn't really need a deck chair with tervigons.  Now that termagants fall back 50% of the time when they fail IB, I can see warriors being a default cheap scoring unit for bugs.

Hormagaunts gained an extra 3" run and base are more effective point for point then they were.  This is where swarmlord comes in, giving them the USR they need to get the job done.

Look I am not trying to white knight the codex and I am 100% in agreement with his assesments on the core rules in the book.  I just see some new units emerging as worth considering and that's a good thing to me.

Warriors since the 5ed dex have been decent deck chairs, you just didn't really need a deck chair with tervigons.  Now that termagants fall back 50% of the time when they fail IB, I can see warriors being a default cheap scoring unit for bugs.

I will be running 9 Warriors with Boneswords and Fleshhooks as a CC scoring unit. If the opponent ignores them, they will destroy non-dedicated CC units. If the opponent dedicates heavy weaponry to them, my Tervigons and Hive Tyrants will live that much longer!

I will be running 9 Warriors with Boneswords and Fleshhooks as a CC scoring unit. If the opponent ignores them, they will destroy non-dedicated CC units. If the opponent dedicates heavy weaponry to them, my Tervigons and Hive Tyrants will live that much longer!

That unit is 450 pts.  

He can grant Monsterhunter, Furious Charge or Prefered Enemy to his unit or a unit within 18".  I don't recall when he does it but its otherwise seems like before with the addition of monsterhunter.

Sounds pretty good.  

I could see running like 4 units of 20 barebones for just 400 pts and then using Swarmlord in a unit of tyrant guard to buff them as needed and provide synapse.  You could supplement with venomthropes for sexy cover saves and then round it out with tyrannofexes or something.  

I could see this working in conjunction with getting adrenal glands and the prime and having them surrounded by a sea of hormagaunts and then venomthropes.  The venomthropes would be key as they should be getting the first salvos of S8+ shooting to thin them out, which gives the warriors more time to stay alive.