What fortifications/Terrain Models do Orks want?

JamesBeadle

So in two short weeks I have done a lot to make my Orks a 6th ed force. I have picked up two Dakka Jets, a Stompa, and now an ally Tau force. The only thing I can think to get pre-codex release is one or two more pieces of fortification terrain, as I already own two defense lines (that I need to Orkify). I am thinking a landing pad might be good for my Lootas, but I like the idea of an Orky bunker too. What have you guys experienced (or played) Orks using to good effect?

I've tried the Aegis, Skyshield and Vengeance cannons. Aegis is a solid choice. I run it with the Icarus on the end attached to a unit of Kannons. Adds some cover for my Trukks turn one and skyfire. Skyshield disappointed me, didn't do much. The Vengeance Cannons added some much needed firepower but were gamed by my opponent into being useless. Haven't cracked into Stronghold yet.

• Like 1

If you are using the Stronghold Assault rules, I think a Firestorm Redoubt with the magos upgrade for BS3 would be awesome.  The improved rules for it are great too since you can have 6 models fire out of it's firepoint to the front.  Makes for a great place to hide some lootas both inside and out and then you can also hide lobbas behind it.  All told, it is 230 pts in that configuration, but gives you solid anti-air and some much needed AP2 S9 shooting (even if it has to use crappy automated fire rules).  

This is pure speculation though.  

Ive had fun using the Aegis with grots behind it manning the gun and The Bastion.

Ive tried using lootas in the Bastion with some success but even though 6 lootas can shoot out of the front and back arcs its not too hard for the opponent to get into the flanks of it and nullify them.Grots usually man the gun up top and are there to pop out late game to control the objective that you no doubt place right by the door,hehe.But ive also had the Bastion popped in the first couple of turns sending what was left in it running for the edge.

But yeah I still need to get a Redoubt as that thing looks very promising for the Orks.

If you are using the Stronghold Assault rules, I think a Firestorm Redoubt with the magos upgrade for BS3 would be awesome.  The improved rules for it are great too since you can have 6 models fire out of it's firepoint to the front.  Makes for a great place to hide some lootas both inside and out and then you can also hide lobbas behind it.  All told, it is 230 pts in that configuration, but gives you solid anti-air and some much needed AP2 S9 shooting (even if it has to use crappy automated fire rules).  

I've run the Firestorm Redoubt a bunch of times now. Either it survives all game or it dies turn 1, it's very consistent like that. Even with the 200pts already spent, I'm really hesitant on the spendy BS3 upgrade due to the ease at which fortifications can be destroyed.

I will note that a destroyed building is a death sentence for any non-blob ork unit inside due to their weak armor saves (collapse is 2d6 S6 hits that ignore cover, unit on top takes 2d6 S3 hits that ignore cover). It would really suck to lose both the lootas and the building in a single turn.

I will also note that as jump infantry can just jump on and off the top, I've tested with good success using the firestorm redoubt for Assault marines. I can get 10 on top without having to cram them together for easy blast weapon kills. If they jump behind, the building does totally conceal them. This has proved useful. For orks, the storm boyz are a pretty neat unit for this. You could actually deploy them on the table and create a pretty impressive threat range.

Just thoughts. I don't play orks.

-Pax

I will also note that as jump infantry can just jump on and off the top, I've tested with good success using the firestorm redoubt for Assault marines. I can get 10 on top without having to cram them together for easy blast weapon kills. If they jump behind, the building does totally conceal them. This has proved useful. For orks, the storm boyz are a pretty neat unit for this. You could actually deploy them on the table and create a pretty impressive threat range.

How do you get 10 25mm bases on top of the FSR while the guns are there without being blast weapon fodder? There is not a lot of room.

• Like 1

I'll second both the Aegis Defense Line and Firestorm Redoubt (with the latter caveated by assuming you are using the Stronghold Assault rules.)

The Aegis is just wonderful for most armies- 4+ cover that improves to 2+ when you duck, and as Orks there is very little penalty for ducking. The Quad Gun, when manned by Grots, can give you pretty reliable defense against airplanes and a Comms Relay can help insure your own air force arrives on schedule. It's even big enough to fully-hid Grots behind if the need arises and even Battlewagons can often benefit from the 4+.

The Firestorm Redoubt is a bit more niche, but does its job well. A unit of up to six Lootas can all fire out the front from perfect safety and with the Magos Machine Spirit upgrade, you have a pair of twin-linked BS3 Lascannons with two shots each- if that doesn't put the fear of god into an air force's heart, nothing will. While a lot more expensive than the Aegis, it gives you a tool Orks otherwise don't have any real access to (high-strength, low-AP shooting) and can nicely protect a scoring unit behind its bulk.

If you're looking to spend a bit less, dollars- and points-wise, the Wall of Martyrs offers some options with its bunker as well- it actually lets more models fire out the front (eight vs. six) and can still mount the gun on top for a surcharge, upgradable to BS3 if you're willing to go for it. It's definitely not as good in its role as the Firestorm, but at ~100pts cheaper, that's no surprise.

• Like 1

How do you get 10 25mm bases on top of the FSR while the guns are there without being blast weapon fodder? There is not a lot of room.

Not perfect, but 6 in the center section in a sort of grid, and 2 on each of the back corners of the turrets on the right and left sections. There is space for the entire base, it isn't hanging off. They're about 0.75" to 1.5" apart, depending on the model. It isn't perfect, but it's enough where small blasts hit only 1-3 models (not including emplaced weapons). Large blasts still hit more, but it's managable.

Less room if you place a turret in the center section, though freeing the top right section can have advantages as it is the tallest section.

-Pax

Okay, well it looks like I am not getting the Skyshield, as my trading partner has already traded that off. I hear what your are saying Herozero about no fortifications, but I want one, they are just cool and I want the experience of Orkifhying a piece of terrain. Looking over the comments it seems to be that the Redoubt is the most likely option to go with if I have to buy a piece of terrain, so that is the direction I will go. Thanks everyone for your input.

Now that would be a kitbash fortification if I ever heard one.  Make all the walls just stacks of bodies for the walls....

I think that one is more imperial guard than Orks. In fact, the wall of martyrs line of forts is kind of based on that idea.

Trying to come up with a 40k race other than the imperium that would use bodies for walls... Nids would eat them. Orks wouldn't care enough to stack them. DE would torture them and hang them out afterwards.