Army book not being in the opening week release.

So I think I should create a new post for this. I was very disappointed in seeing that the Dwarf book wont be in the opening weeks release with some of the new Dwarf models. I also understand that there is no way to change that.

What I don't want to see is that happen again. I really look forward to new armies coming out. I love getting the book and I don't feel I'm alone. I'm sure that GW is just trying this out, but I don't want them to continue trying this out.

I think the best way to keep them from doing that again is to make them know how I feel about it. So I actually emailed them with how disappointed I was. Not a mean email or such. Just an email that basically said how I wasn't happy with that decision.

I think the more that feel this way and email GW at CustServ@gwplc.com the more likely that we wont see this happen again.

I know, blah blah blah. We're but a drop of water in an endless ocean.

“What is any ocean but a multitude of drops?” David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

So on the other side, what's so bad about having a few models released before the book?

The biggest thing I look forward to in a release is the book.  I get to read it, the new fluff and the new rules.  I get to see the pictures of the new models.  I get to look forward to seeing those new models or the "hint" of the models that are on the horizon.

Now, I'm sure that some may not have a problem with waiting.  Some might though.  I obviously do.  And when I have a problem with something I try to find a solution.

But you still get all those things if the book releases next week or the week after. I guess I don't see why having some models release before the book changes the experience of enjoying the book.

It doesn't diminish the enjoyment of the new book, but it does diminish the value of those new models until the book comes out.

• Like 1

Yeah that seems silly to me. I get the idea, but with their prices as high as they are, impulse buys aren't all that common. People tend to buy the models to serve a purpose in the list. Without the rules, the models serve no purpose.

Moreover, what does it say about their self-confidence if they are changing their release structure so they don't undermine their own sales with lopsided rules? In light of GW's recent financial woes, it looks like they're panicked and desperately experimenting with new ideas. Unfortunately for everyone, they did the exact opposite of what they should.

If it were me, I'd start with the book release. It is the one sale nearly GUARANTEED to every player of that army, so why not start off with a low-risk release? Fill it with pictures of all the up-and coming models, and keep your finger to the pulse of the community. Then adjust your production levels of each unit according to the interest they're generating in anticipation of release day.

I really don't understand that company anymore. Their policies so often work directly against their goals these days, and they can't seem to figure that out.

• Like 1