1850 Eldar list, wondering if anyone thinks it's viable?

Inq_zigga

First off long time no see for a lot of people on here, how's everyone doing? Ok so I've been away from 40k since the onset of 5th edition and curious if this list I made is viable for tournaments...

Spirit seer, battle runes, shard of anaris

Fire dragons x 5 with exarch in wave serpent with tl BL, shuriken cannon holo fields/ spirit stones

Wraithguard x 5 wave serpent with tl ML holo fields/ spirit stones

Wraithblades x5 with axes/ shields with wave serpent with tl star cannon holo fields/ spirit stones

Guardian jet bikes x 5

Guardian defenders x10 with BL platform

Hemlock Wraith fighter

Warp spiders x 5 with exarch with power blades and tl death spinner

Fire prism x2 with holo fields and spirit stones

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Looks solid to me as a non-Eldar player. 3 Serpents, Jetbikes, Spiders and jet means plenty fast. I'm sure better informed players could give a few fine tuning tips but I'm reasonably sure as-is this list would take my lunch money. Haven't faced the Wraithguard but I can say from experience that Avengers in Serpents are rock solid. The barrage artillery are worth looking into as well, they're something that changes my game plan every time I face em. Give it a couple spins, see what you like and work from there is the only real advice I can offer. Welcome back and good luck!

Why, if I may ask, the Wraithguard and Wraithblades?  Reasoning behind it?  I love them to death, but I found them to be difficult to wipe out anyone.  The D weapons aren't great against vehicles, and five isn't going to kill anything that Fire Dragons won't.  

And the Hemlock?  Why?  The Crimson Hunter is simply better, hands down.

The Hemlock's Horrify ability ends up being really awkward to use, because you have to do it before you move, and even with the Flyer benefits, the thing is incredibly fragile to be leaving within 18" of an Enemy Unit for a Turn.

WraithGuard, I've seen work well, but WraithBlades just get screwed by the fact that after they Disembark, they have to stand around for a full Turn getting shot before they can Charge. I've been very underwhelmed by their performance, the times I've gone up against them.

The rest seems pretty solid, but I might tweak by, say, picking up one more Bike and splitting into 2x3 so they can hide more easily and claim/contest more Objectives.

• Like 2

The Hemlock's Horrify ability ends up being really awkward to use, because you have to do it before you move, and even with the Flyer benefits, the thing is incredibly fragile to be leaving within 18" of an Enemy Unit for a Turn.

Ack! I thought this unit was too good to be true. I really liked on paper until you pointed this out. Don't play fruity eldar, so it doesn't matter too much.

-Pax

There's 4 scoring units in the list because of the wraithguard/ wraithblades... A lot if people are down playing the wraithblades, but without them I have no close combat in the army... Banshees have less survivability, bike units are cheap but easier to wound, same with guardians and dire avengers for that matter... They may be expensive points wise but the toughness value higher normal bolsters wound on a 5+. So a squad of 10 marines shoot 10 bolters rapid fire, that about 12 hits, wounding on 5s that's 4 wounds... I may fail 1 but they're fearless so they don't run even if I have crap rolls... And this is all dependent on me letting them get that close... I have confidence in the wraith units... Fire prism have the anti troop / tank shots, fire dragons are just awesome, the wraithfighter as long as I'm not stupid should survive the game since I can out manouver just about anything as long as I pay attention... But yeah those are my justifications for why I chose some of the units I did

Even more importantly, it can't use the power on the turn it comes in since casting powers after coming in from reserves is specifically forbidden. It's junk--one of the few things in that book that is.

First off long time no see for a lot of people on here, how's everyone doing? Ok so I've been away from 40k since the onset of 5th edition and curious if this list I made is viable for tournaments...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

You said ANY advice so here's mine:

2000 Pts - Codex: Eldar Roster

Total Roster Cost: 1995

1 Illic Nightspear, 140 pts

1 Spiritseer, 70 pts
      1 Faolchu's Wing

5 Fire Dragons, 110 pts
      1 Wave Serpent, 155 pts = (Spirit Stones + Holo-Fields ) + TL Bright Lances+ Shuriken Cannon)

5 Wraithguard, 160 pts

5 Wraithguard, 160 pts 
      1 Wave Serpent, 155 pts = (Spirit Stones + Holo-Fields + TL Scatter Lasers + Shuriken Cannon)

5 Wraithblades, 160 pts
      1 Wave Serpent, 155 pts = (Spirit Stones+ Holo-Fields+ TL Starcannons+ Shuriken Cannon)

10 Guardian Defenders, 90 pts 
      1 Heavy Weapon Platform, + Bright Lance

1 Hemlock Wraithfighter, 185 pts

4 Warp Spiders, 76 pts = 4 * 19
      1 Warp Spider Exarch, 29 pts

1 Fire Prism, 150 pts = (base cost 125 + Spirit Stones 10 + Holo-Fields 15)

1 Fire Prism, 150 pts = (base cost 125 + Spirit Stones 10 + Holo-Fields 15)

You get more tough troops, you get an outflanking Death flamer unit amongst them and you get a melee capable character that can help break the flamers of doom free of any nasty entanglements.  

The shard won't be as useful as the Wing on the Spiritseer.  I'd use it to get to a Wraithguard unit after it outflanks perhaps?  Just a thought.  Your list is intact and with more firepower and more deployment options.

So wraithguard of any kind are way to expensive for what they do and are not really worth including. However, in my experience, spirit seer with 5 wraithguard with dsythes in a wave serpent are good for grabbing objectives. Turn 3  they jump out, grab an objective then flame whatever charges them.

Ok so I'm a competitive player so I'll try give a good list that isn't to spammy but won't roll over to whatever is thrown down on the other side of you.

Farseer w/jetbike- 115

Spirit seer- 70

3x jetbikes - 51

3x jetbikes - 51

3x jetbikes - 51

Wraithguard w/ d scythe - 210

Waveserpent w/ tl scatter laser, s cannon -130

Wraithguard w/ d scythe - 210

Wraithknight - 240

Wraithknight- 240

6x Warpspider - 114 

6x Warpspider - 114

5x Dire Avengers - 65

1921pts

So this should give you lots of s6/7 shots, decent anti tank, good scoring. I might be off on the wave serpent costs however but you still have 79 points to work around with. As a general rule eldar would rather shoot than be in cc, so use their mobility to maximize shooting. Use the wraithknights to apply pressure while the rest of your army picks off the opponents units. The wave serpents should throw out enough twinlinked shots that they can take down flyers. If you think you need more drop a wraithknight and two crimson hunters.

Thanks for the suggestions guys I appreciate them and from what in gathering wraithblades aren't the way to go, and the fliers are a toss up... Only problem with the lists I'm seeing the tournament I'm entering is only 1850, just keep that in mind when making suggestions. Thanks again guys, been really helpful!

So I will say, the Wraithblades with the axe/shield combo does have it's uses.  I don't generally start them inside a tank, but it's entirely possible.  It's AMAZING at tarpitting certain units because the T6 and the 4+ invul is awesome.  Goodness knows if you get the strange terrain that gives FNP, they become truly amazing.  I even held down almost 40 deamonettes with six.  It was rather incredible.  

However, the regular Wraithguard I have issues with overall.  I have 3 squads (1 blades, 2 guard) and I play them in a more fun list (nothing but the spiritseer is lower than t6).  I find that the gun they have is good, but horribly short ranged, and only really good against certain units like Terminators and what not.  They're amazingly crappy against vehicles.

However, if you're looking for better alternatives, scorpions took a really large hit in the codex, but I think without farseer support are still much better, however, the Eldar strength has entirely shifted to shooting in my opinion.  Run guardians with Warlocks, use farseers for guide, and the bladestorm takes care of everything.  With Warp spiders there to take out other vehicles from the sides and to provide rapid response to any threat, they're amazing.  The Hemlock Wraithfighter looks really cool, but the Crimon Hunter is simply a better choice.  Great against other fliers, and amazing against ground targets.  Exarch makes it even that much better.

Scorpions ar awesome.  Rending pistols, 4 attacks on the charge, STR 4 on 3 of them and of course they infiltrate/outflank as well as have 3+ saves and a CLAW that DOESNT go last!  wuuuuh.

That exarch goes on I6 and is a character butcher!

Thwe Hemlock is also awesome but it requires that you build the list around it.  So, maybe not as a random include except as a fun thing.  However, with outflankers, you can increase its value a lot.  So thus my suggestion on Illic.

Ok so after some retooling (don't have point totals) but thinking along these lines...

Spirit seer with shard

Warlock council x4 on bikes 1 singing spear

Fire dragons with exarch wave serpent tl ML

Bikes x5

Bikes x5

Bikes x5

Wraithguard x5 with dscythes in wave serpent tl bright lance

Hemlock wraithfighter

Wraith knight

Fire prism

Fire prism

Let me know what you think of that?

Its not even for the same thing as the Crimson Hunter.  they dont compete for roles.  Might suggest the Icarus gun with built in picket fence if no Crimson Hunter.  Just one thought.  

The Warlock Bike Council is there for Horrify I assume.  I have done the same thing in my list.  Experience says you might need a few more than that to kind of ensure you get Horrify.  When it goes off, it's nothing short of spectacular.

Have ou Tried Dark Reapers?  Relentless and carry a big gun.  They can be a lot of fun too.  They need not get as close as Fire Dragons as an added bonus.