The Grumbler's Gambit: Raindog's Dwarf Project

I played NTK this week. He played well. I played not so well.

Deployment is to key with the lads. I put both gyros on one side. That was a mistake. It let his shades and Assassin run wild.

I have a real issue making my opponent fight my blocks. It is too easy for speed to my weaknesses in the list.  

After the loss, it just made me want to play more games to see if I can solve the riddle.

I played NTK this week. He played well. I played not so well.

Deployment is to key with the lads. I put both gyros on one side. That was a mistake. It let his shades and Assassin run wild.

I have a real issue making my opponent fight my blocks. It is too easy for speed to my weaknesses in the list.  

After the loss, it just made me want to play more games to see if I can solve the riddle.

I have some suggestions for you, about your deployment.  I'd love to discuss this with you on Sunday.  As a general of the fast cav, I could give you some pointers as to what my weakness is.  I'm pretty sure you already know though, but hey sometimes just discussing it opens up new options.

You know what would be really fun?  To play an "open game".  Micah and I used to do that.  We'd just both help the other person during his turn, revealing exactly what we were trying to do, why we were doing each of our moves, deployments, etcetera.  Almost like both of us playing both armies against each other.  It leads to a really telling game about the matchup and the armies.  Way more so than playing game after game trying to guess what your opponent is up to. 

I bet you dollars to donuts that we could both learn a lot playing a few games that way!  Want to try it next time we get a chance to play?

PS: RD if you have a minute, check out my Dark Elf Blog thread and let me know your thoughts on the list there and whether it is a good fit for OFCC!

I played Shane's DOC with the no shooting Dwarfs.

I decided to only play on my right side of the table to limit my exposure and let the Miners to come to aid be as fast as possible. I put the Longbeards on the flanks and the Slayers and Hammerers in the middle

One unit of beards took a charge from a Beast of Nurgle and Big Papa. Papa whiffed and popped. Static res gave me the win.

The Big Flies and other Longbeards slapped at each other unit my Hammerers and Miners came into clear the fight. The Slayers fought his 'letter horde. They held up long enough for the Longbeards to book end the Bloodletters, the Hammerers to hit the from a unit of Miners to hit the rear.

Shane twice rolled 10's for his magic phase, so his units had a 4+ Ward Save for 4 rounds of combat. 

His other toad and the Skull Cannon killed my other unit of Miners as the last of the Slayers died before the Bloodletters popped.

Next Week's List:

Thane, GW, MR o. Gromril - 96

Runesmith, GW, R o. Stone, R o. Spell Breaking -96

24 Longbeards w/ Shields, M, + SB - 332

24 Longbeards w/ Shields, M, + SB - 332

10 Miners w/ SB - 110

Gyrocopter - 80

Gyrocopter - 80

25 Slayers, SB + M - 320

16 Hammerers, SB + M. 256

I have been thinking about the Dwarfs lately. I think I might be going about this the wrong way. If no one want to fight my Lord, why not take two. A second lord with the MR. of Gromril on an Oath Stone with a pair of Rune of Iron (F4 Wounds and T6) and perhaps a Rune of Snori, Parrying and Might (-1 to hit him, +1 for him to hit and S10 on T5+ models - (or just a GW). The Lords need to be with the Longbeards and the Rune Smiths and not the Hammerers. The Hammerers need to be alone for their full attacks.

Basically, I am creating two character buses to bring the fight. 

What I am I sacrificing: shooting. I am dropping the Cannons, the Organ Gun, and the Flame Cannons. 

To beef up the units, I will spend the remainder of points on Runes of Slowness and Stoicism and beef up any Slayer Bumps. I would like two units of 10 or 12 or 15…………. 

I will play with the points tonight. 

Okay, this is the first list I came up with. I am not sure the Oathstone is a better option than the shield bearers, but I want to give the list a try . Any takers on Saturday after the Senate meeting? Say 1 PM?

Lords:

Lord on ShieldBearers. 3 Runes of Warding, a Great Weapon,  pistol, and a Rune of Stone. 241

Lord on Oathstone, MR. Of Gromril, 2 Runes of Iron, Great Weapon. 251. 

Heroes:

BSB, MR. OF Grungi,  Great Weapon. 156

Rune One: Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking. 96

Rune Two: Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking and Rune of the Furnace. 101. 

Core:

24 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M + Rune of Stoicism. 367

23 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M. Rune of Stoicism and Sanctuary. 369

Special:

24 Hammerers with SB, M. 356
25 Hammerers with SB, M. 370

Gyrocopter. 80
Gyrocopter. 80

6 Slayers. 72
5 Slayers. 60

I finished the Scibor Model. He is holding a key and foaming mug with a handgun slung over  his shoulder. He could be an Iron Drake or a Thunder or a musician/ Standard bearer (rally around the keg). I am going to use him as a Longbeard. I am trying to have a full unit of Scibor models, or at least that is my goal. 

Models Done this Spiring:

Plastic Converted Hammerer with Shield

Metal Hammerer Champion

Scibor Keg Dwarf

Max-Mini Iron Breaker

Gameszone Hammerer

Movement Trays:

Made and Painted two 5x5 20 min trays. 

The Runes of Stoicism and Sanctuary would be the fist to go for more Slayers. Then, I would ditch the Runes of Iron. It total, that is 10 more Slayers or Longbeards.

That sounds like a plan on dropping the runes.

I think 2 5 man slayer units is enough.

I do think you could use two min miner units though.

Playing:

Today's play test of the no shooting list went down like a lead zepplin.  NtK was kind enough to push it forward. I got combats. I lost combats. 

Longbeards, Lord, and Runey in the front, Hammers in the Flank of NtK's CO bus with the Dread Lord, Giant Blade, and Obisdan Trinket and BSB with the Sword of Might. The Dread Lord killed my Lord, Runey, and then,  my  LB unit. The Hammerers could not touch the bus after the back rank died. They could not fight through the challenge. NtK held until his Master and Manticore hit the remaining hammerers and wiped them out.  

Meh.

Strollaz is better than stoicism. Slowness might be better than them both.

Painting:

The HW and Shield Scibor is done, I started another Scibor. He has a pistol and an Axe.

New List:

For tomorrow, I am thinking of:

Lord w/ Shield Bearers, Rune of Parrying, Rune of Might, Rune of Stone, 3 Rune of Warding. 290

The character has 5 Wounds, 1+/4+ save. He is -1 to hit and Wallops all T5+ models at S10.  

Runesmith. GW. 66.

19 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M, Strollaz Rune. 302

Vanguarding w/ the Lord!

19 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M, Strollaz Rune, Rune of Sanctuary. 317

Vanguarding w/ the Runey and MR2

15 Miners, SB M with Blasting Caps. 200

Flank attack, or is it the rear? 

Gyro. 80

I dig this unit.

Gyro. 80

Flame Cannon w/ Rune of Forging. 165

Yeah I think truthfully the problem there was no shooting… I mean i had promised to fight your Lord unit this time so I did, but otherwise I would have just run around whittling them down and then cleaned up in turn 4 or so.  The only reason your units lost to mine in nose-to-nose combat was pure bad dice!  I wouldn't take much away from that part, your Lord will beat mine most of the time with your huge wound count and toughness.  Snake eyes over and over on a 1+ armor character is pretty stupid bad luck.

But either way I think a cannon and a flame cannon are just must-have units.  They don't make you play like a gunline, they just keep your opponent honest.  Too many armies are going to be faster than you, to not have some shooting to bring 'em in.

I'd also play more protectively with your copters, like you did our first game, instead of trading out for my FC units.  I thought they were a HUGE pain in my butt the first game, when you harassed my big units' flanks, blocked up my wheels and charges, etc.

Not like I'm some sort of pro, just my suggestions from our games so far :)

But either way I think a cannon and a flame cannon are just must-have units.  They don't make you play like a gunline, they just keep your opponent honest.  Too many armies are going to be faster than you, to not have some shooting to bring 'em in.

Agreed. They need to be an auto include.

I played with the copters tonight. I tried to be more defensive with them. They performed well enough