The Grumbler's Gambit: Raindog's Dwarf Project

Can anyone elaborate on why the rotors are pants? Are they just too fiddly? Do you anticipate them braking off during play?

They're not too bad, IMO. A lot of small and fragile part that have to be put together in a very specific order. Just pay close attention to the manual and dry fit before you glue and it won't be too bad. It's a fun model to convert though!

• Like 1

The Gyrocopters pilots have 4 different heads. All of the head have goggles. One has the google up on his hat. Three have hats. One is bare headed..

There are three types of side wings for the copter. One is a turbine. One is a small set of fins. The other set hold the bombs.

There are four front plates and three types of guns that fit in the plate.

There are four different front medallions as well.

Overall, there is room from variation and conversions.

There has to be a better way for GW to have constructed the props on the Gyrocopter. I went double on both, but wish I had gone single in stead of the two, standard, stacked prop look. Anyways, I finished assembling them.

I filled the gaps on the Gyros with liquid green stuff and realized I am almost out. 

Finally, I started magnetizing the bases of the movement trays, so they with never slide around between the weight of the models and the sheet magnets.

Tonight's List: 

Rune One: Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking. 96

BSB, MR. OF Grungi,  Great Weapon. Pistol. 161 

24 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M + Rune of Stoicism 367

24 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M. 332.

6 Slayers. 72

6 Slayers. 72

6 Slayers. 72

Gyro. 80 (100 points Vanguard with free points from Banners)

Gyro. 80

Flame Canon. R. o. Forging 165

1500 Points - 

Slayer Darts are the bomb! They take chariot impact hits, and then, hold and kill Elf and Gor chariots. Flame Cannons are mean! Gyros still rock!

I don't run congas. The slayers are chaff walls. They can take a chariot hit and strike back.  Slayers are great for holding flanks.

In modeling news, I put magnet sheeting on a 13th painted movement tray. Then, I made two more movement trays complete with the chipped cobblestone base and magnetized the bottom. 

Tomorrow, they get sprayed.

Use great weapons……...

Slayers are only S3.  They would be S5 when charged by a chariot.  Cold one chartiots are T5. 

6 attacks hitting on 4's, 50% chance to hit, so 3 hits

3 hits needed 4's to wound, we'll round up the 50%, 2 wounds

3+ save goes to a 5+

1-2 wounds to the cold one chariot.

I'm not, by any means, saying it's a bad strategy.  I just think you will need 2 units of 6 slayers to kill a cold one chariot is all.  I think, the real strategy here comes from the redirection for the chariot to contact the slayers.

On Slayers, the orange haired lads swinging their attacks with double hand weapons against the chariots. With 8 attacks they hit 4 times, and wound twice. The armour on the chariot holds.

If the Slayers charge, they cause one wound, since they are S4 for being resolute.

With GreatWeapons, they hit twice and cause one wound, maybe two if they charge.

I am looking for only one to survive. It is harder to do with heavy chariots, WoC, Gore, and Cold One, but entirely possible to allow for the counter attack.

With Tuskgor, Goblin, and White Lions Chariots are odds much better. T4 Chariots with lighter armor are easier to wound. Standard chariots do not have scything wheels, so fewer Slayers die due to impact hits.

Either way, it is a,god use of a 60 point throw away unit.

Raindog, of course you want to get the charge against the chariots.  I was also using the cold one chariot as a specific example.  They are a good throw away unit.  I'm not arguing that at all.  My main point was that it's all about how you redirect the units with your darts than just throwing them away.

I've seen too many games when players just throw units out in the open willy nilly without taking the redirection of the charge into consideration.  If you redirect properly, the throw away unit is worth it.

Thoughts after three more games....

1) Hatred is very potent. In all three games, I rolled a 5-6 for hatred for all three games.

2) I need to stop pushing Dwarfs forward. I am playing a little to fast and loose with the lads. Dwarfs can fight, but they cannot take impact hits or stomps. They need a buddy unit to support them.

3) My use war machines and the positioning of them is lacking .

4) I have yet to drop bombs with the gyros. I keep forgetting or never have the opportunity.

5) Hammerers are S7 on the charge. It is another thing I forget to remember.

6) I am not sold on Organ Guns yet. They don't hit very much. I think two flame cannons might be a better choice.

7) My Lord has yet to be in a proper scrap.

8) Slayer bumps are solid, but I am thinking of dropping one for a Bolt Thrower.

9) Hammerers are great for charging buildings

10) I do feel the book is a different enough change to make feel like I need learn the army again.

Yeah I haven't been impressed with my organ gun lately but that's not so much because of its natural inability to hit, just constantly misfiring (after RoForging) makes it hard to hit--especially with so few shots. But I agree, I've realized I have too much BS based shooting which skirmishers and the like will laugh at.

As far as pushing forward, I've had a lot of success with it. I have a block of 25 longbeards and a block of 25 hammerers that both Stroll up to tempt turn 1 charges. I usually put the Longbeards a bit further up because they can absorb a charge  well and (more importantly) they have 2x Runes of Slowness. In all 3 games I've played, my Longbeards have gotten to charge the unit that failed a charge against them. And if they do make the charge, the hammerers are usually set up for a flank charge. And, yes, str 7 with hatred and AP is ridiculous on the charge. 2+ save cav getting no save at all is pretty unheard of.

Obviously, that tactic depends on the opponent. If I'm facing someone who is going to be going toward me full speed anyway, I won't bother bother. If I'm facing lots of stomps and impact hits, my shooting is gonna need to take a toll before I enter the neutral zone. But I do like to get stuck in fairly early because Dwarves excel at wars of attrition, and the closer my blocks are to full strength, the more I can leverage that quality.

My BS Dwarf List

Master Engineer with a Great Weapon and a Rune of Shielding. 101

10 Quarrellers with Shields. 130

12 Thunderers with Shields. 156

11 Thunderers with Shields. 143

Gyro. 80

Gyro. 80

5 Slayers. 60

5 Slayers. 60

10 Miners with Blasting Caps. 120

Bolt Thrower. 55 

Bolt Thrower. 55

5 Rangers. 90

5 Rangers. 90

Organ Gun Rune of Forging and Penetration. 185

This list is silly and terrible and the worst list I could think of, but I had a blast playing it. I even used the Gyro bombs. It does a great job of clearing chaff and skirmishers.

Next Weeks List?

Next week's List

Master Engineer with Rune of Stone and a Great Weapon. 81

10 Quarrellers with Shields. 130

10 Thunderers with Shields.130

11 Thunderers with Shields. 143

Gyro. 80

Gyro. 80

5 Slayers. 60

5 Slayers. 60

Cannon. 120

Bolt Thrower. 55

Bolt Thrower. 55

5 Rangers. 90

5 Rangers. 90

Organ Gun Rune of Forging and Penetration. 185

I found two more Dwarf Movement Trays that I had yet to put sheets magnets on, so I did that tonight. I started to make another movement tray for small units, but then sprayed too much spray on the chipped plasti-card. I had to dump the effort into a simple green bucket and started over…….

I trimmed up a few more Scibor models and green stuffed and air hole or two. Eventually, I will get to painting models……..