The Grumbler's Gambit: Raindog's Dwarf Project

I played my dwarfs against Shane's Daemons tonight. Shane took the chicken, a Daemonette herald, a Horror Herald, two pink horror spell batteries, daemonettes,two ambushing units of dogs, a skill cannon, and a unit of 3 toads.

I had a Runey, a BsB, 24 Warriors, 20 Longbeards, 20 Hammerers, 2 units of 10 Thunderers, a flame cannon, a cannon, and two gyros.

We played the GN's meeting engagement scenario.

He deployed first.

The skull cannon blew up my cannon and spooked my Hammerers off the table on turn one. I started the game in a 420 point hole.

The Thunderers are worthless at shooting. They cannot hit anything. Everything is a 5+ to hit. Combatwise, they are fine. The Khorne dogs bounced off one unit. The remnants were charged in the rear by another unit of dogs. The Thunderers held and popped them into two rounds of combat.

The other unit held against the toads for six turns of combat before dying - Not bad.

The Gyrocopters blasted away the horrors until they were too weak to do much.

The chicken and Daemonettes ground down the warriors and heroes.

The flame cannon was okay, but the rune of forging saved my butt three times..........

I finished another BfSP Thunderer tonight.

That is 28 Thunderers. Why am I painting them, no clue. I miss when they were move and shoot.

I should spend my time painting more useful like miners. Miners seem like a bargain. They are the same price as warriors with great weapons, but have the ambush rule for free.

At this point, I am biding my time until the Wood Elf book comes out and I can process the new lists.

With the new book, Dwarfs received a few nice boons. They do not flee and pursue at -1 inch. the have a strength bonus when they charge and a shield wall when charged. Thunderers and Quarrellers have heavy armor. There are cheaper Gyrocopters. Flame Cannons are now useful. Slayers and Iron Breakers are options. Hammerers have an extra attack.

The issue is almost everything is more expensive. Add runes on banners and war machines and the points evaporate. There is not enough points to around, so the cool options and possibilities are limited at best.

The army works well as a gunline, but I have to find a dynamic option. Dwarfs are great at being tough and hard to kill, but they don't cause many wounds in return.......

I have yet to find a satisfying mix.

Raindog I feel your pain: it's true that everything is really expensive when "runed up" and yet the runes seem to be too good to pass up!  Kind of a conundrum.  But if I may (and of course you know Dwarves far better than I do!) here are some things I've learned that you might find useful… things I would encourage to you try, based on my experience playing you and Joel:

1)  Rune of Slowness x1 on one hard unit, Rune of Slowness x2 on another… this rune is just the bomb.  Most Dwarf units are hard enough that it takes a combo charge to break it down.  Combo charges are terribly unreliable against Rune of Slowness.  One failed charge can lead to you getting two units: the one that makes it in without support, and the one that failed its charge.  This Rune leads to winning combats; Stubborn rune (which seems to be the other popular suggestion) leads to losing more slowly (but still losing), unless you have a lot of countercharge, which is hard when your units are so expensive and thus your unit count is low.

2)  Min sized Miner units.  These are, as far as I can tell, the most flexible, cost effective guys you can get, besides perhaps Gyrocopters (which I don't have a lot of experience with).  Obviously they can go after enemy ranged units, but don't be afraid to deploy them normally if they are not needed for hunting shooters!  Use them to gain deployment advantage by putting them out first, and as typical chaff units but much tougher in CC than most due to GWs.

3)  You don't have to be a gunline, but you do have to keep your opponent honest.  Your goal should be to have enough shooting in your own list that if your opponent tries to evade CC for most of the game, you can still win, but NOT so much that if your opponent chooses to enage in CC, they are blown off the table.  You may wish you could do an all-CC style army but Dwarves are not just a M3, vs. M4 or M5… they are also lacking mounted units which means they're M3 vs. M8/9/10!  They just won't be able to maneuver with any but the slowest armies.  That doesn't mean you can't have a very tactical army, but you have to shrink the table size, which means some shooting, and usually a denied flank for deployment.  

Anyway, everybody's an expert huh? ;)  Hope you find something useful in there… let's play again soon!

Nathan

I will send it by PM to maintain the secrecy.

Oh c'mon just post it, I'm curious and what's the point of secrecy on an army list?

For example here's the list we made for my brother's Dwarf army:

(the letters, e.g. "Lord (A)", show which unit they are meant to run in)

Dwarves 2797pts

Lord (A) - GW, Shieldbearers, Magnificent Armour of Borek Bettlebrow

Lord (B) - Great Weapon, Oath Stone, Fiery Ring of Thori, Runic Armor: Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Iron x2

Thane BSB © - Runic Weapon: Rune of Parrying, Runic Armour: Rune of Stone, Rune of Iron x2

Runesmith (A) - Shield, Runic Armour: Rune of Stone 5, Runic Talisman: Rune of Spellbreaking x1

Runesmith (B) - Shield, Runic Armour: Rune of Stone 5, Runic Talisman: Rune of the Furnace + Rune of Spellbreaking x1

29 Longbeards © - Great Weapons, Full Command

10 Quarrellers, Great Weapons, Musician

10 Thunderers, Musician

17 Ironbreakers (A) - Full Command, Runic Standard: Rune of Slowness x2

18 Ironbreakers (B) - Full Command, Runic Standard: Rune of Slowness x1

10 Miners - Musician

Cannon, Rune of Forging

Grudge Thrower, Rune of Accuracy + Rune of Penetrating x1

Organ Gun, Rune of Accuracy

I shifted. Despite having three more BfSP Thunderers on my painting table and seven more primed and ready to paint in the basement, on Monday, I went into my stores and looked around. I had six or more BfSP miners ready to paint. I pulled them out and brought them up to my table. I slopped a layer mix of black ink, wash and paint over the models so they would be ready for me to work on later. 

On Tuesday, I painted the cobblestone tops of the six miners and a thunderer. I only paint from around two twenty to three fifteen AM during the week days. 

My goal for today is to paint the sides of the bases bestial brown. 

Then, I will start on the boots.

Tonight's List!

Runey, GW, Stone, Breaking. 96

BsB, GW, Gromril. Furnace 131

24 Warriors, S, SB, M.  236

20 Longbeards , S, SB, M.  280

10 Miners, 100

10 Miners, 100

10 Miners. 100

10 Slayers. 120

10 Slayers. 120

10 Slayers. 120

Gyrocopter. 80

Gyrocopter. 80

Organ Gun, Accuracy. 145

Cannon.  Burning. 125

Flame Cannon. Forging. 165

I played two games tonight with the same list. In the first, I played Rudra's Herdstone list. I went out and fought him after a few shots. I lost miserably. 

In the second game, I hid against Murphy's double bus Empire list. I shot him until he was feeble and only then engaged. It worked. It always works. It is sad. Dwarfs do not have the reach with anything but big guns to attack. 

The slayer units of 10 were nifty, but there power is in them dying and attacking back. I am seriously considering units of 15 or 20 and filling up the majority of my specials with them. 

Two more down.

I painted up another BfSP Miner. I went a little wild on the beard with a new blonde color scheme.

Then, I found another model in the basement. It was a painted Miner veteran, although a rarer alternative than the standard vet.

I touched up the model and washed it. He is ready to go.

Now, I need just one more Miner to have my 30. 

I was counting my painted Dwarf Infantry Models as I was putting them away today:

Core:

25 LongBeards w/ HW and Shield

26 Warriors + SB and M.

4 Warriors w/ Great Weapon

25 Warriors 6th Ed Plastics - HW and Shields + SB, and M.

22 Thunderers + Full Command

13 Quarrellers + SB

Special:

18 Iron Breakers + SB and M.

31 Miners + SB and M.

42 Slayers + SB, M.

39 Hammerers + 2 SB and M.

The 30 Miner is done. I have several Dwarf models are on my painting table: two Thunderers, partially painted, and four more miners including a standard bearer all in various levels of painting. One Miner is 1/2 done.

I am tempted to finish at least the miner before I switch to Wood Elves.