The Grumbler's Gambit: Raindog's Dwarf Project

2500 Point Test Dwarves Vs. Ninja: The Great Wall of Pain

It's my first new Dwarf List!

Man, oh man, is there a lot of tasty choices. I could break my brain with options. Down with the gun line and since I don't have the new gyros, yet :dry::blush:   :biggrin: , I am avoiding the RAF for the Great Wall of Pain with just enough war machines to bring the hurt.

I want to fight. Mexican Ninja   :ph34r: threw out a 2500 point challenge, so I picked through the book to find this list.

One: I think Dwarfs are better with four blocks than three. Blocks need fighting buddies. Everybody partner up and start the grumbling.

My List:

Lord on ShieldBearers. He has 3 Runes of Warding, a Great Weapon,  and a Rune of Stone.

The big guy has 5 wounds with 4 S6 attacks and 2 S4 attacks with a 1+ /4+ Save.

Next, every Dwarf list needs a BSB and Thane are now LD 10! Woo-hoo! :wub:

BSB, MR. OF Gromril, Rune of the Furnace, and a Great Weapon (he could not do that before).

He is simply hard to kill and can do a few wounds. He can step in front of a K'daii and be tickled (I had five points to spend, The Rune of Furnace seems the best way to use the points.

If I wanted to make him less killy, I would throw the Rune of Parry on the Thane.

Runesmiths:

Every list I have seen has two of these guys on the list. Why not, they seem essential magic dedense and can buff up your troops with Armor Piercing and Magic Resistance. I am taking two and keeping them dirt cheap...

Rune One: Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking.

Rune Two: Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking and Rune of the Furnace.

Core time! I need blocks. Down with Shooting up with S4, WS5 Grumblers who are ITP! :cool:

24 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M + Rune of Stoicism (Stubborn :wub: ). Guess who is holding my flank?

Add a runey here.

24 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M

Add a runey here.

And now for the Pain!

26 Hammerers with FC, + Champion with the Rune of Fire (I can cut this guy latter and save 20 points, but he is there for Trolls, Ethereals, and the like).

20 Hammerers with SB, M, and MR Grungi (Anti-shooting defense at all of it's glory.)

And Finally the hurt...

what Dwarf would be without a cannon? I am taking mine naked.

Cannon.

And for the new bad, 

A Flame Cannon with the Rune of Forging.

I hate depending on shooting, but you need some guns especially without magic.

I will let you know how it all fares.

Alas, poor Grungni; the rune is BSB only so the Hammerers will need something else. Personally, I'd scrap the champ paying 10 points to no longer have a kick-ass great weapon and, instead, take the fiery ring on one of your characters. It's a one-use-only but between that and the hammerers, one round is pretty much all you should need against the targets you mentioned. And if you take put it in a unit with a Runesmith (or on the Runesmith himself) then its 2D6 hits get AP!

I like the 4 blocks of dwarves approach, though I worry about your ability to get stuck in with high mobility armies.  Not enough to keep them respectful, nor enough to remove some of those stomp-happy units out there that love squishing stunties :( Definitely curious how it performs, keep us posted!

Well, poo, 

Second Attempt:

2500 Points of Dwarfs. 8.0

Lord on ShieldBearers. He has 3 Runes of Warding, a Great Weapon,  and a Rune of Stone.

BSB, MR. OF Grungi,  Great Weapon (  

Rune One: Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking.

Rune Two: Great Weapon, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spell Breaking and Rune of the Furnace.

Core:

24 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M + Rune of Stoicism

24 Longbeards, Shields, SB, M

Special:

26 Hammerers with FC, + Champion with the Rune of Fire

24 Hammerers with SB, M, 

Cannon.

Gyrocopter

Gyrocopter

Rare:

Flame Cannon with the Rune of Forging.

I'm not a huge fan of Longbeards because I prefer being able to flee (especially with such a unit light list), but to each their own. A note on the flaming ring is that the breath weapon is NOT armor piercing. The Runesmiths only give that to a unit's melee weapons per the Armour Piercing rule in the BRB (coulda bee written way clearer than it was).

Any way to make that hammerer unit into one block?

I know you want 4 but one big ass horde of hammers plus characters is actually scary to death star choppy units.

If you combine them and drop ten you get enough points.back for a fourth unit

A nice ranged unit would be great to keep them honest with chaff.

• Like 1

I'm not a huge fan of Longbeards because I prefer being able to flee (especially with such a unit light list), but to each their own. A note on the flaming ring is that the breath weapon is NOT armor piercing. The Runesmiths only give that to a unit's melee weapons per the Armour Piercing rule in the BRB (coulda bee written way clearer than it was).

"Breath Weapon Close Combat Attack" on page 67 specifically refers to it being an "additional close combat attack." Why would an additional close combat attack not benefit from the AP?

Any way to make that hammerer unit into one block?

I know you want 4 but one big ass horde of hammers plus characters is actually scary to death star choppy units.

If you combine them and drop ten you get enough points.back for a fourth unit

A nice ranged unit would be great to keep them honest with chaff.

I used a horde of 30 in my first battle, they were pretty bad ass. Went up against a slightly whittled 8x4 unit of Black Orcs with Lord and BSB (I had my lord too) and left them with less than the front rank. 5 WS Hatred with 6 strength and an extra rank is just nasty.

One:

I picked up two Gyros from Guardian Games. The fuselage was easy to assemble. The rotary blades are finicky. It is a two part kit to make bombers or plain gyros. The parts have groves and slots for a good fit, but it is a bit tricky.

One is almost done. Currently , I am working on the bases.

Two:

Assembled my first army tonight, I realized I need to glue magnetic sheets to the bottom of almost all of my movement trays.

Three:

I need more Hammerers, at least 10, probably 20.

Four: 

I played the list above. The flame cannon is mean. It erased most of a unit of Black Guard. The Hammerers are as good as advertised. They do what they did before, but now they cause more wounds. S5 Longbeards on the charge with an AP Runey is very affective. Not losing an inch in pursuit is sweet as well.