mount rules question

Ogre, Irongut, & Maneater units which have a standard bearer may buy a look-out gnoblar as a unit upgrade (as can an Ogre BSB).  A look-out gnoblar has the following effect:

Look-out Gnoblars can be taken as an upgrade for Orge standard bearers (see the army list for details).  Any character or champion in a unit with a Look-out Gnoblar benefits from the 'Look Out Sir!' special rule as long as there are three rank and file models of the same troop type remaining in the unit.

It's an easy mistake to make, but defining ranks as three models rather than five doesn't affect look-out sir.  Look out sir is pure number of models, not the presence of one rank.

• Like 2

MexicanNInja, you are wrong. Sorry.  YOu are simply making the same point over and over to grown men that can ALSO read.  You are stretching SO ON to the maximum and I would disagree with you until the end. Where does it SAY that SO ON means, this includes "look out sir"?   

GTs are full of guys that are trying to gain any advantage they can. They use rules that arent fully defined and say them over and over until more reasonable people just give up to simply be able to move on. I dont agree with that play style, this game is for gentlemen.... if you cant handle that,  get on the PC where I cant "nut Punch" you for being a dick.  :biggrin:

GTs are full of guys that are trying to gain any advantage they can. They use rules that arent fully defined and say them over and over until more reasonable people just give up to simply be able to move on. I dont agree with that play style, this game is for gentlemen.... if you cant handle that,  get on the PC where I cant "nut Punch" you for being a dick.  :biggrin:

Well I wouldn't go so far as assuming people at the GTs have bad intentions. It is an incredibly easy mistake to make because phrases like "and so on" don't really belong in rules. It's the kind of conversational language GW can't seem to get away from.

For that matter, having 4/5 of a rule copied and pasted from a previous page, but as that paragraph taxed them to exhaustion they just tell you to look at a different page instead of putting the remaining 2 or 3 sentences in there.

And finally, the expression "rank-and-file" also is very misleading. There is no definition anywhere in the book and it seems to imply ranks in it. The closest thing I could find is in the Forming Units section on page 5. It talks about how units are set up in ranks and files and is why they sometimes refer to basic warriors as rank-and-file troops. So "rank-and-file" basically means the exact same thing as troops, dudes, chodes, chumps, etc. Except in this case, they aren't talking about "basic warriors." So it seems like it's just used for any unit that consists of multiple models that form ranks and files.

Anyway, a lot of confusing, arbitrary, and lazy verbiage in there. It's a very easy mistake to make.

• Like 1

MexicanNInja, you are wrong. Sorry.  YOu are simply making the same point over and over to grown men that can ALSO read.  You are stretching SO ON to the maximum and I would disagree with you until the end. Where does it SAY that SO ON means, this includes "look out sir"?   

Where does it say that it doesn't.  MI says ranks, MC doens't say ranks.  However, I will say that I am extremely glad you can ALSO read.  This is just a conversation, no need to take it personal.  I don't use MI or MC, so I can actually care less on the final outcome.  I am just looking into this for the knowledge and nothing else.

Yes, the "and so on" includes the rule for "LOOK OUT SIR!" rolls.  Any time the MRB refers to a rank and file rule, if you are MI or MC, you only need 3 rank and file models.

The Look Out Gnoblar is an army specific rule.  It is an updrade purchased for a character.  An Ogre wouldn't get a "LOOK OUT SIR!" roll if they were in a unit of Gnoblar's.  I would have to look at the army book; however, I think the rule is worded that you remove the Look Out Gnoblar instead of applying the hit onto a rank and file Ogre.

It's just like tomb king chariot units.  They are the only army which may have units of chariots.  Those two rules only apply to those specific armies.

Army specific rules overrider MRB rules.

O n' G can have units of chariots nit size 1-3  :laugh:

I read 5 rank and file models as a regular troop of its type that makes up ranks. It doesnt matter whether or not they are in 3 wide to gain a rank bonus or 5 wide to get a wider frontage and more attacks. I would not assume that a rule the give benefits in the close combat phase, ranks bonuses and steadfast, would correlate with what happens in the shooting phase when it comes to character protection from shooting attacks. 

I think it is stretching the numerical definition of "5" in every paragraph that talks about "look out sir".