GW store coming to town

Hobbitron

I would think that this would be good because it draws more folks to the hobby and at least you get to see new releases and such?

I know you can find discounts elsewhere (Mugu Games in Everett, for example) but after factoring the opportunity cost (drive, gas, etc.) maybe getting it locally and supporting some jobs, etc.?

Hope all is well with everyone and I hope you have a safe and happy holiday season!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JMGraham said:

Ouch. A couple of blocks from my house, but not a friendly area when it comes to Canadian shopping and parking. Maybe they're hoping to get ferry traffic, but those are mostly older folks wanting quaint boutique and art shops. I gotta wonder how they did their research.

Me too...

Edit additional thought: grandparents are like "ooh this looks like art and fun the kids would love these"... little do they know the additional purchases needed...

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2017 at 7:46 PM, dalmer said:

Perhaps the GW "here's where we'll put our store" takes a market and factors in local housing costs.  I know that south side property values are up. 

Or maybe distance to the university?

Or population density (and they didn't factor in student housing)?

yes and no local input lol. will be a disaster 

On 12/10/2017 at 7:46 PM, dalmer said:

Perhaps the GW "here's where we'll put our store" takes a market and factors in local housing costs.  I know that south side property values are up. 

Or maybe distance to the university?

Or population density (and they didn't factor in student housing)?

Those are my initial thoughts as well. And there are, what, 2 other schools within 6 blocks too? An elementary school and middle school, I think... So they do have access to students of all ages within walking distance, as well a location in a location in a low crime part of town known for its window shopping. So some aspects make sense in theory...

However, looking at Google maps does not adequately explain how disruptive Sehome hill actually is to traffic. Nobody in Bellingham goes to Fairhaven unless they have a specific reason to. It's also one of the few retail locations you can find in the Bellingham that is more than a mile from the freeway, which is a poor choice.

Maybe they have a minimum distance to other game stores policy? Between DTG and Whosiewhatsit up on the guide, maybe they felt that was the best untapped population density...?

This is all very odd, because GW has a mostly untarnished record of sound business choices :wink:

The weird thing is that the building they chose is full of boutique arts and crafts and cafes and what not. Not the cheapest rent by a long shot. I hope that, if a Warhamster gets the manager job, that they are wildly successful. That's the only thing that would convince me to ever shop there. Anyone tossing their hat in?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello there,

Just an update, which has not been 100% vetted.

Because a Games Workshop store is set to open in Bellingham, Games Workshop exerts the following management right:

*  No distributors within a 15 mile range

Thus, Dark Tower Games and any other local store that carries GW products within this 15 mile radius will no longer be able to sell GW product.  Dark Tower can keep its current inventory but will not be allowed to order more product.

Just heard it today and figured y'all might want a "heads up."  Hasn't been vetted by me through Dark Tower Games.

Stay safe,

don

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, dalmer said:

Games Workshop exerts the following management right:

*  No distributors within a 15 mile range

Thus, Dark Tower Games and any other local store that carries GW products within this 15 mile radius will no longer be able to sell GW product.  Dark Tower can keep its current inventory but will not be allowed to order more product.

How is that even legal? Isn't that a monopolistic behavior? Like price fixing, which GW apparently is able to do as well.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.